Player Discussion Hampus Lindholm III - the Return/Revenge of the Swede?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
On another note does anyone know what was up with his wrist? He injured it only a handful of games into the season and he was still wearing that wrap on it in the Nashville series.

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
If he injured his shoulder in the WCOH, do the Ducks get some kind of financial compensation for losing him long-time? If so, from whom?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If he injured his shoulder in the WCOH, do the Ducks get some kind of financial compensation for losing him long-time? If so, from whom?

I could be wrong but I wouldn't think so as it was a competition run by the NHL. That would be like if a player got injured at the all star game, I'm pretty sure teams don't get compensation when that happens.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

One of the LATimes articles said both Lindholm and Vatanen hurt their shoulders in the Calgary series.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/ducks/la-sp-ducks-injuries-20170525-story.html

Vatanen and Lindholm were injured in the first-round series against the Calgary Flames. Both played through the second and third rounds.

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The points were there in his first two seasons. They will come if he starts getting some more opportunity. He had 34 points as a sophomore with very little PP time.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
there was an article not too long ago stating how much Lindholm brings to the offense even though he doesn't have a lot of points. essentially saying Lindholm was a rare breed.

To be honest, that's probably someone misinterpreting it.

I bet the strong cf%s come more from shot suppression and by virtue of not being in the defensive zone rather than him contributing to the offense directly. Since the stats are accumulated over such a large sample size

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
If (yeah right now it looks like a big if) he can hit 45 points what separates him from a guy like Ryan Suter who has been getting consideration most years?

He's going to have to strongly increase his offensive game to get any type of Norris consideration. Simply playing in the west puts him at a huge advantage as well.

Never mind the offense. What I want to see more from Hampus is consistency. That's where our defenseman struggle most. Both he and Fowler are far too inconsistent for my liking.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Lindholm needs 20 goals and 50-60 points to even become a blip on the radar of an East coast fan or newswriter.

Maybe not the 20 goals, but certainly the 50 to 60 points. J Schultz was top ten in Norris voting with 51 points this year at around 20 minutes per game. Fowler had 39 points at around 24 minutes per game. I'm not big on fancy stats but i'd wager Fowler had much more difficult assignments and far fewer offensive zone starts, etc. etc. Fowler got no votes.

I think Lindholm and Fowler are and will continue to be better all-around defensemen compared to a guy like Schultz, but this trophy is really slanted towards offensive production these days. Two-way defensemen will always be at a disadvantage for consideration when compared to the true offensive defenseman with lots of cushy assignments and PP time.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
He's going to have to strongly increase his offensive game to get any type of Norris consideration. Simply playing in the west puts him at a huge advantage as well.

Never mind the offense. What I want to see more from Hampus is consistency. That's where our defenseman struggle most. Both he and Fowler are far too inconsistent for my liking.

Absolutely agree. it's frustrating when you've seen both play so well to then watch some of the awful plays they each continue to make.

I do think Hampus' offense will improve when his shoulder is healthier. I also feel like he has mostly ignored his offense while he has tried to improve his defensive game in the NHL. I think he could easily be a 40 point D.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Yeah playing in Anaheim hurts but Suter was playing in Nashville and putting up 45 points and was highly regarded around the league.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Yeah playing in Anaheim hurts but Suter was playing in Nashville and putting up 45 points and was highly regarded around the league.

He was also playing with Weber which increased his notoriety, and Nashville is in the Central Time Zone so east coast media types probably actually watch some of their games, especially when they play teams like Chicago and St. Louis (and Detroit before they moved east).

I doubt many people who vote on these trophies and live in the east coast cities watch many Ducks games starting at 10:30, which is most of them here in the Eastern Time Zone. Especially before the division realignment and the resurgence of Calgary and Edmonton, half of our games drew very little interest from outside markets.

Hell, I remember before the internet became big, I couldn't even get box scores in the morning paper for our 10:30 games. I had to wait two days to see who won and who scored and where we were in the standings. Now with all the cable packaged and streaming options, if someone in the east does watch a western conference game that starts at 10:30, it's likely going to be involving Edmonton because of McDavid.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA

The definition of the Norris has changed rather drastically over the last 2 or 3 years. It's quickly evolved into the Art Ross for defenseman; hell, Schultz finished top 10 for crying out loud and I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who considers him a top-10 defenseman in the league.

Lindholm will need to be hitting at least 55-60 to be getting serious contention, but even more than that will likely be necessary considering the market he plays in.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The definition of the Norris has changed rather drastically over the last 2 or 3 years. It's quickly evolved into the Art Ross for defenseman; hell, Schultz finished top 10 for crying out loud and I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who considers him a top-10 defenseman in the league.

Lindholm will need to be hitting at least 55-60 to be getting serious contention, but even more than that will likely be necessary considering the market he plays in.

I don't know Weber was 6th with only 42 points and he's not even that great defensively anymore. Beauchemin got consideration at only 0.5PPG a few years ago too.

Schultz finishing top 10 just shows that there are homers and idiots voting but there were less than a dozen who voted for him.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I don't know Weber was 6th with only 42 points and he's not even that great defensively anymore. Beauchemin got consideration at only 0.5PPG a few years ago too.

Schultz finishing top 10 just shows that there are homers and idiots voting but there were less than a dozen who voted for him.

Lindholm's a west-coast player, someone who's never hit the 40 point mark, and though he's an analytics darling and strong defensively I don't think that's likely to be common knowledge among the press. The Norris, on top of having transitioned into a points race, has a lot of reputation voting further on down, which can explain Weber up there.

And in related news, McDavid is apparently a Selke-caliber defensive forward. Plainly put, even if Lindholm does emerge as a top-5, Norris-caliber defenseman, he's not going to be recognized for it anywhere beyond HF where analytics rule the day.

Perhaps he can finish in the top 10 with a strong offensive year in the 50-55 range, but if he wants a nomination, he's absolutely going to have to put up 65-70 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad