Hamilton Bulldogs & Wheeling Nailers 2013-2014 "No more Stortini" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
“We knew from the start that we had two potential number one goalies. We made sure that both of them are getting icetime, and to see if one of them stands out more than the other,†explained Lefebvre.

Up to now, Tokarski has put up a 5-3-1 record in nine starts, with a 92.0% save percentage and a 2.28 goals against average, good for 11th among all AHL netminders. Meanwhile, Mayer, a veteran of five seasons with the Bulldogs, is 1-4-2 with a 89.1% save percentage and a 3.39 goals against average.

“Both goaltenders are doing good things,†concluded Lefebvre,

Pretty sure it's obvious which one is standing out more than the other...

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Pretty sure it's obvious which one is standing out more than the other...

Mind boggling....Yep, Mayer is doing great things...problem is that ALL the BAD things he's doing, which totally outnumber the good....Any chance Lefebvre sees that?

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
I still think Mayer has NHL upside, and Tokarski's is a streaky goaltender. We've only seen him at his best so far in Hamilton.

My point being that I'm fine with them splitting the job. If they reach the NHL one day, it will be as backups anyways.

DogsFan*

I still think Mayer has NHL upside, and Tokarski's is a streaky goaltender. We've only seen him at his best so far in Hamilton.

My point being that I'm fine with them splitting the job. If they reach the NHL one day, it will be as backups anyways.

You clearly don't watch him play enough. He is not fundamentally sound.. something you need to atleast make it in the NHL. Mayer would get torched on a nightly basis (sort of like he does in the AHL)

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Last 2 seasons with the Dogs:

11-11-1
2.25 GAA
0.924 SV%

vs

17-21-5
3.00 GAA
0.905 SV%

Both are the same age so it's not like we're taking about one guy being more of a prospect than the other. One goalie clearly helps the team more than the other for now so what's the worst that can happen from playing him more?

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

If one of them is streaky, it's definetely Mayer. On some nights he plays like Halak in the playoffs and other nights he plays like Halak for the Blues :sarcasm:

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
The thing with Tokarski is he's won at every level. He has a memorial cup, a calder cup, and a world junior gold. I found it odd that Yzerman would give him up for essentially nothing (cedric desjardins). The fact the drafted Vasilevski and Tokarski's plateau is probably an NHL back-up.

One thing that may hold him back is his size. He's very small for a goalie and goes down very quickly. When I saw the Bulldogs earlier this year, I was surprised at how tiny he was.

I think a solid NHL comparable in my opinion would be Wade Dubliewicz, who played for the islanders.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Another bad example of an organization who doesn't want to admit their mistakes........It made no sense to not let Mayer leave the team.

Even worse is that he's signed for another season beyond this one. :shakehead It felt like forever before his contract was finally up, was not happy to hear he was re-signed but was downright pissed that it was for 2 years. I just don't get what the team sees in him.

Sure do miss Danny Kristo. 16 pts in 16GP. Thomas has alot of catching up to do.

I'm not surprised, he dominated the NCAA and while you never know how they are going to handle the transition to the AHL, with his speed and skills I figured he would do well. Should be interesting to see how he does in the NHL though.

Tarnasky and Dietz fighting at practice....isn't Dietz hurt? How great is it to fight an injured player? :shakehead

well if he was injured still he wouldn't be at practice. :sarcasm: Will have to hear more about this, tonight's pre game should be interesting. :laugh:

Nygren seems like a "minus" machine. How is he playing, overall?
He's adjusting, I'd say he's playing well enough overall. He does have some holes in his defensive game but hopefully he will continue to progress.

Ok he's terrible. Beaulieu's probably the only person on the team where every single minus he has he was the direct reason the goal against happened.

Beaulieu has really struggled at times in his own end, don't know if the yo-yo effect has impacted him or not but he looks a bit lazy at times in his own end.

I'm just wondering what you guys think about Sylvain Lefebvre coaching??? ...I don't read anything good or bad about what he is doing down on the farm...Could he be NHL caliber coach?

Also would Martin Lapointe Director of Player Development maybe some day want to coach???...I sure like him as a player

I can't say i'm impressed other then the Dogs are usually a hard working team. As for the next coach, I'd look at the Drakkar coach and see if he would be interested in the job. Next year we have what could be a very interesting rookie class depending on various factors, so it will be interesting to see how MB handles the situation.

Makes you think maybe it isn't so bad that MT is coach as I have little doubt Lefebvre will replace MT if he were fired.

that's a very scary point. :amazed:

I assume you don't watch Hamilton games?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The Drakkar coach? I don't think his "go out and goon" every time his team loses is the exact strategy that will last long in the pros.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
The Drakkar coach? I don't think his "go out and goon" every time his team loses is the exact strategy that will last long in the pros.

Please remind me when he did that with the Cataractes on the way to win the Memorial Cup?

He plays with the cards he has in hand, he has a gritty team with big bodies, so his team plays a physical style.

There are a few good candidates in the 'Q, Groulx, Houle, Veilleux, but also Ducharme.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Thomas 1 assist 7 shots a game vs texas should be a good warmup game after his injury

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Wow Macaulay with a G and an A in his first AHL game. Quailer with the same. Maybe Q isn't a write off yet?

Thanks That for the Nystrom goal. Beauty steal from him too.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
While Steve Quailer had a pretty good game, he also had a Gordie Howe hattrick, lead on Mr.Q. the Bulldogs and Habs need character players.:handclap:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I like that Nattinen's producing of late too. Anyone seen last night's game? Who stood out?

Did I miss Holland being injured? haven't heard much about him of late.

Last edited:

Longwayfromhome

Sweden/London, UK.
Oct 18, 2013
Can someone provide insight on how Nygren has been playing so far? His stats line looks… meh..

Loved his game back in sweden though. Canon of a shot, but a tad slow and some defensive problems.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Can someone provide insight on how Nygren has been playing so far? His stats line looks… meh..

Loved his game back in sweden though. Canon of a shot, but a tad slow and some defensive problems.

The people I spoke to said Nygren is still adjusting to the NA game but they have been surprised with his defensive and physical game. The offense will come but for now he is focusing on his own end first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad