Hamilton Bulldogs 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I think improving Hamilton's PK is a higher priority. One huge improvement last night was how well they stayed disciplined. Mind you, the refs (Burchell and Cairns) also let them play. There were a few times where play was getting very chippy and the refs just let them play.

Ideally I'd like Hamilton to play Kingston. Regardless of who we play though, it should be a great series and either team would be very deserving of making the conference final.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Bring on the Fronts! Kingston knocked out Barrie.

Hope to be in Kingston for Game 3 when the series gets there. Schedule TBA.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
This is going to be a great series the 2 teams that should be here are.
Both teams have paid the price to be where they are buy acquiring a boatload of talent players to already solid clubs. Players draft picks being swapped so you can win the conference.
Born in Hamilton and live in Grimsby so Hamilton is my sentimental favorite. Kingston is one hell of a team so there is a lot of similarities shared by both teams. Hamilton this is yours to take.

l

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
This is going to be a great series the 2 teams that should be here are.
Both teams have paid the price to be where they are buy acquiring a boatload of talent players to already solid clubs. Players draft picks being swapped so you can win the conference.
Born in Hamilton and live in Grimsby so Hamilton is my sentimental favorite. Kingston is one hell of a team so there is a lot of similarities shared by both teams. Hamilton this is yours to take.

l
Yes, both teams have a lot to play for--and a lot to lose, as both the Fronts and Bulldogs are going to lose a lot of pieces after the 2017/18 season and are likely to both be bottom-feeders in 2018-19--they must win a championship now and get to the Memorial Cup, as both teams are going to face some very lean years ahead.

Let's hope it's Hamilton playing in the OHL Finals and not Kingston.. especially considering they likely won't be back this deep in the playoffs again until the OHL's turn for a Memorial Cup comes around, with Hamilton likely to be bidding for 2020-21---IF they get a new arena.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
As far as beating Kingston, I think it's the same solution as how we beat Niagara. Find the answer to Helvig (who in my opinion is the best goaltender in the leauge) and you'll come out on top. Our defensemen have really come into their own at insulating Fulcher against a lot of the strong chances and our offense all season has peppered every tender they've come across. That two man screen we started doing on Dhillon threw him and Niagara for a loop, not sure how well that will work on Helvig. Obivously hoping for a better reffed series then the last one (although they did a good job on the last game).

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls
As far as beating Kingston, I think it's the same solution as how we beat Niagara. Find the answer to Helvig (who in my opinion is the best goaltender in the leauge) and you'll come out on top. Our defensemen have really come into their own at insulating Fulcher against a lot of the strong chances and our offense all season has peppered every tender they've come across. That two man screen we started doing on Dhillon threw him and Niagara for a loop, not sure how well that will work on Helvig. Obivously hoping for a better reffed series then the last one (although they did a good job on the last game).
The two man screen had no effect. Hamilton scored zero goals from the outside and zero goals through a screen. If the two teams traded goalies Hamilton would've won the series in four and the games wouldn't have been close. Helvig, much like Dhillon is either very good or very bad. The difference is, Kingston is much deeper than Niagara. Should be a good and long series.

bulldogsbaby

Jul 2, 2017
Hamilton, ON
Regardless of what happens, I have all my home tickets printed out & I'm extremely excited to see what this series offers. Been a hell of a year as a first time STH glad I got my foot in the door late last season, never would have found out what I was missing!

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
The playoff GAA leaders to date are:

1. Fulcher 2.51
2. Helvig 2.61

Fulcher has an 8 & 2 won/loss record with both losses being by just one goal. I am not sure what more can be expected from this guy.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Probable Graduates for each OHL Team

Enjoy this championship run now--Bulldogs are headed for a big fall in 2018-19 with so many graduates and OA cuts. And it's likely Entwistle and Strome will be dealt during the season as well, if not before Opening Night considering the Bulldogs will be in a full-blown rebuild hoping to get the team back to the top by the Memorial Cup in 2020-21 when the OHL's turn to bid comes (pending a new arena).
  • Ryan Moore (too old)
  • Riley Stillman (Signed- AHL)
  • Kaden Fulcher (Signed- AHL)
  • Nicholas Caamano (Signed- AHL)
  • Marian Studenic (Signed- AHL)
  • Will Bitten (Signed- AHL)
  • Justin Lemcke (too old)
  • Connor Walters (too old)
  • 1 of Brandon Saigeon/Nic Mattinen/Ben Gleason/Jack Hanley (too many OA’s)
  • 60/40 that Robert Thomas is back (NHL)

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I'd rather enjoy the ride now rather than worry about the rebuild next year. Junior hockey is cyclical. You build for the the run, enjoy the run, and then break things down and start the rebuild again.

It's just like a sports car... you can either sit around and worry that it will one day need repairs. Or you can take it out and enjoy it. Regardless, it will be fun to drive again after those eventual repairs. No sense in worrying about future fixes when you can enjoy the ride now.

If there's any fan base to eventually worry, it's Kingston's. They mortgaged their future to 2028 (only one 2nd round pick (2026), and one 3rd (2021) between now and 2023). Although everything I've read is excitement from their fans about their run and them reaching the conference finals for the first time in 25 years.

The conference finals start tomorrow! Let's enjoy it. There will be plenty to talk about and speculate in the summer. Let's go Bulldogs!

Reactions: Duke Guy

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
One more note regarding 2018/19--Saigeon is draft eligible this year, and his strong season in Hamilton likely will get him drafted by an NHL club, and considering he's AHL eligible, he won't be back if drafted.

Regardless--let's worry about that after the Bulldogs get through these playoffs, hopefully with a trip to the Memorial Cup.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Hamilton and Kingston have a very similar make-up as to how they acquired their current rosters:

Hamilton

Via Drafts 13 players
Via Trades 13 players

Kingston

Via Drafts 13 players
Via Trades 10 players
Walk-on 1 player

What was that old Cliff Fletcher saying? Draft Schmaft! LOL

Reactions: LDN

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
And here we go--first conference final for the Bulldogs since 2010-11 when they were in the AHL (Bulls stats do not count out of respect for Belleville and since at this point, most of the former Bulls are gone from Hamilton). Will they get to their first finals since 2006-07, when in the AHL, they won the Calder Cup?

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Kingston is having trouble with the Dogs speed and transition game in the early going. Could have been more than 2-0 if not for Helvig.

Dogs best period of the playoffs in the first 20. Let’s see if they can maintain it for the rest of this one.

Ahhh Motley Crüe is pumping here in the Pound, got to go! Go Dogs.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
So apart from a small stint in the second, we were all over Kingston scoring wise. Hope the boys stay disciplined as the Fronts looks like they were clearly trying to generate some penalties for the next game in the 3rd, I'd you catch my drift.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Probable Graduates for each OHL Team

Enjoy this championship run now--Bulldogs are headed for a big fall in 2018-19 with so many graduates and OA cuts. And it's likely Entwistle and Strome will be dealt during the season as well, if not before Opening Night considering the Bulldogs will be in a full-blown rebuild hoping to get the team back to the top by the Memorial Cup in 2020-21 when the OHL's turn to bid comes (pending a new arena).
  • Ryan Moore (too old)
  • Riley Stillman (Signed- AHL)
  • Kaden Fulcher (Signed- AHL)
  • Nicholas Caamano (Signed- AHL)
  • Marian Studenic (Signed- AHL)
  • Will Bitten (Signed- AHL)
  • Justin Lemcke (too old)
  • Connor Walters (too old)
  • 1 of Brandon Saigeon/Nic Mattinen/Ben Gleason/Jack Hanley (too many OA’s)
  • 60/40 that Robert Thomas is back (NHL)
With lack of good centers on the blues, Factoring that Thomas made it to final cut last year and he is tearing up the OHL playoffs, he will 80% be in the NHL next year baring a trade or Injury.

Reactions: OSA

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
I will be at the game on Sunday. Let's hope they win tonight so they head to Kingston up 2-0!

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Bulldogs laying waste to Kingston 5-1. Looks like I'll be seeing them in Kingston with a 2-0 lead.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Big win for the Bulldogs last night! 1 win away till they book a date with the Soo Greyhounds in the OHL Final (sorry Kitchener).

Meanwhile, the city is still fighting on where to put a new arena for the Bulldogs:

Lime Ridge Mall a nice fit for new Hamilton Bulldogs arena?

Hopefully this gets resolved soon--Michael Andlauer isn't going to wait forever, especially with the declining condition of FirstOntario Centre and a looming lease and arena operations expiry(Spectra's deal ends this year) at the end of 2018:

Opinion | Curtain rises on Hamilton's entertainment potential

The Bulldogs need a new home ASAP. Without a new arena plan by the end of this year, it may be difficult for the team to stay in the city.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
What are Andlauer's other options?

Good question. But staying at FirstOntario long term in its current state is not one of them. It's either build a new arena, heavily renovate FirstOntario (unlikely--the cost would be astronomical and the city lacks the funds to do that), or sell the team to an out-of-towner who'd likely move the club.

Considering Mississauga got offers from 3 Ontario cities and likely Buffalo, NY, same likely applies here.

Reactions: three dog night
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad