Hamilton Bulldogs 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Gruden needs to have a little talk with the team.. they lose to Ottawa 5-4! Series is tied at 1.

You're a #1 seed! Play like one! Look at how bad the Soo is beating up Saginaw! Anyone starting to think the Bulldogs should've traded for a Dawson Carty type at the deadline? Because Fulcher is looking awful in the playoffs.. and could actually be the goalie that costs Hamilton a series, and gets Gruden and Staios fired because ownership is basically saying OHL Finals or bust.

Reactions: BarDownskie

BarDownskie

Feb 3, 2018
HUGE game tonight in missy. I've never posted on this thread yet because I haven't seen the trout since their hot streak at the end of January. This team has the most potential to do damage this year in the east. I wouldn't necessarily call any win an upset given the talent on this team. But avoiding Hamilton until the 2nd round youd think would be key. Even with the 0-6 record against the Bulldogs this year, playoff experience will be huge in that series, 1st or 2nd round. IMO, I'd say Vella can be as good as Fulcher. Nothing personal against any player but I've noticed Fulcher has a hard time absorbing the puck. This will also be his 1st time PLAYING in the playoffs after playing behind Dawson Carty last year. Vella granted was behind Mcniven this time last year. But Owen sound went a lot deeper then 7 games.

I put this in the sauga thread a few weeks ago I haven't been able to actually watch the games would you say the Fulcher assessment is accurate after the first 2 playoff games?

Reactions: digiblader

vince

Dec 6, 2017
Gruden needs to have a little talk with the team.. they lose to Ottawa 5-4! Series is tied at 1.

You're a #1 seed! Play like one! Look at how bad the Soo is beating up Saginaw! Anyone starting to think the Bulldogs should've traded for a Dawson Carty type at the deadline? Because Fulcher is looking awful in the playoffs.. and could actually be the goalie that costs Hamilton a series, and gets Gruden and Staios fired because ownership is basically saying OHL Finals or bust.

I have said many times (since all the mid-season trades were done) that we needed to pick up a goalie. We needed to trade for an experienced goalie to either supplaant Fulcher or be a capable back up. You cant just score goals and not stop them yourself. It is like a baseball team with home run hitters but no pitching. You need both!! You need the goalie to help you out when that offensive powerhouse is no longer an offensive powerhouse, which is what the Bulldogs have been for a long time. In the playoffs you cant win giving up 5 or 6 goals, and you dont have a consistent capable back up that can play multiple games to back up Fulcher if he gets hurt or is just plain not good enough. This is what we experienced tonight, and we wont win much going forward unless that changes. It is reality folks.

Dogsgottabite

Oct 9, 2015
I have said many times (since all the mid-season trades were done) that we needed to pick up a goalie. We needed to trade for an experienced goalie to either supplaant Fulcher or be a capable back up. You cant just score goals and not stop them yourself. It is like a baseball team with home run hitters but no pitching. You need both!! You need the goalie to help you out when that offensive powerhouse is no longer an offensive powerhouse, which is what the Bulldogs have been for a long time. In the playoffs you cant win giving up 5 or 6 goals, and you dont have a consistent capable back up that can play multiple games to back up Fulcher if he gets hurt or is just plain not good enough. This is what we experienced tonight, and we wont win much going forward unless that changes. It is reality folks.
You are bang on. Problem was that the Fergus mistake cost Staios a card that he desperately needed to save just for that. The last thing we needed was another D with that last card aka Mattinen. Easy to blame the goalie but bottom line is when you get outworked all over the ice you're gonna lose. Check out the back check effort from Moore on Chemelevski's goal and tell me we're gonna win with efforts like that! Studenic worked his ass off all game. Thats how they all need to play. Listen and watch Ottawa's coaching staff during the game constantly encouraging and motivating, then look at our bench. Stark difference. We need to wake up from top to bottom.

Reactions: digiblader

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
That's more what we expect from the Bulldogs--5-1 in the 2nd period leading Ottawa. Tremblay is awful.. perhaps Ottawa will turn to Andree as Tremblay is overmatched?

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
7-1 Bulldogs. Looks like the Bulldogs finally realized how much Tremblay stinks as a goaltender..

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Bulldogs win 5-2. Hurry up and get to the 2nd round already! This Ottawa team is not close to ready for prime time.. finish them off Friday!

Of course, the Bulldogs next opponent is unclear--it's going to be either Missy, Oshawa or Niagara.

Preferably, I'm hoping for Oshawa--Missy is a team that can upset clubs--Barrie's got their hands full with them!

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Bulldogs win. On to Round 2.. better hope for Oshawa or Missy, as a Niagara/Hamilton Round 2 will kill Hamilton's chances of a deep run.

BarDownskie

Feb 3, 2018
Tough to wish for sauga with the talent they have. Scary part about Niagara would be. Dhillon. I think the Hamilton D can shut down Niagara's top forwards in a 7 game series

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Bad news for the Bulldogs--Niagara finished off Oshawa, and Barrie now leads 3-2 vs. Missy in the series. If Hamilton draws Niagara in Round 2--it could be difficult for the Bulldogs to get to the conference final, as Hamilton is 1-5 vs. Niagara..

Reactions: three dog night

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Bulldogs chances of a Memorial Cup run just got a LOT harder--Barrie won the series, meaning the Bulldogs get the IceDogs in the 2nd round, a team they have not been able to beat. Gruden's basically coaching for his job this coming series--a series loss likely seals his fate.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Bulldogs chances of a Memorial Cup run just got a LOT harder--Barrie won the series, meaning the Bulldogs get the IceDogs in the 2nd round, a team they have not been able to beat. Gruden's basically coaching for his job this coming series--a series loss likely seals his fate.

Replace him with Matos?

BarDownskie

Feb 3, 2018
Tough draw for round 2. But as I stated earlier I think in a 7 game series the Bulldogs D core will be able to shut down the Niagara forwards. Miletic is the most dangerous for sure. The biggest question mark for Hamilton is the goaltending. It will be that way from here on out. Fulcher will almost always make the first save. It's the ones that bounce off him that are going to hurt. But nothing new there. Hoping for a Hamilton win. It'd be nice to see and the fans have come out in full support.

bulldogsbaby

Jul 2, 2017
Hamilton, ON
Super exciting second round coming up, Niagara will cause problems for Hamilton but a little adversity won't kill anyone. I think the Bulldogs will step up to the challenge. Should be a nice atmosphere at the next few games with Niagara fans heading over. I should probably scoop tickets for games 3 and 4 on the road to show some support

Reactions: the dog

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Keep also in mind Dhillon is streaky. While we haven't ever had him on a bad streak (well once and we play their backup tender and won) he really is the lynchpin of this series in my eyes. Every game against Niagara, Hamilton has been winning the shot clock and it have generally been close. The Bulldogs need to find an answer to him, if that happens Hamilton takes it, if they don't...Niagara has enough weapons to punish Hamilton if they can't put up points.

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
The Bulldogs have been moving the puck cross in the offensive zone ice very nicely as of late. These cross ice passes tape to tape then a one timer will be key to beating Niagara’s goaltender. Niagara is very good, I mean, very good at blocking shots. Need to have clear cross ice shots in order to score. The Bulldogs can get by the Ice Dogs defence on the outside then head straight to the next. Take no prisoners. Shoot for his weak glove hand.
Ice Dogs will be looking to score on the PP, and will need help from their hot 3rd line to continue. I see a couple of Short Handed Bulldogs goals coming your way.
Ice Dogs will try to play physical to slow things down, they will use every effort (including diving #13 and running of the mouth #3) to goat the Bull Dogs into taking crappy penalties, then they will make things worse by scoring on that power play.
They seldom cycle the puck down low, however, they will shoot often and shoot from anywhere at all angles.
So, stay out of the box as they will not kill you 5-5. If the Bull Dogs keep a man up high and look for a stretch pass it will back up the defence and open things up in the neutral zone (yes, they play the trap when defending a lead.

They will be relentless and seldom take a shift off, where they lack in talent, they make up for it in effort.

Good luck, make sure they don’t split the first two games.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton

I'm skeptical that the team is going to replace Gruden who has been coaching the team for two years because of conference win and a second round exit. Espcially since next year is likely going to be a sell off year and you will need a coach and manager on the same page during that transistion. Besides, getting a reputation as a team that has a coaching carousel isn't something I think Staios or Andlauer wants. Consistent failure warrants removal, Gruden hasn't shown that as you have to be doing something right to take the conference. If Belleville tolerated Burnett for over a decade of mixed performances, I don't see them canning Gruden that quickly.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
I'm skeptical that the team is going to replace Gruden who has been coaching the team for two years because of conference win and a second round exit. Espcially since next year is likely going to be a sell off year and you will need a coach and manager on the same page during that transistion. Besides, getting a reputation as a team that has a coaching carousel isn't something I think Staios or Andlauer wants. Consistent failure warrants removal, Gruden hasn't shown that as you have to be doing something right to take the conference. If Belleville tolerated Burnett for over a decade of mixed performances, I don't see them canning Gruden that quickly.

Yes, but that was more due to Gord Simmonds being a cheapa** owner--he never wanted the team in Belleville, and basically waited a decade until the Habs left Hamilton, and the OHL became open again for the city. He ran that team to the ground.

Considering how difficult it has been to build support for the Bulldogs in the OHL--it is questionable if its fanbase will tolerate a rebuild, which this team is heading straight towards.

Also not helping is the city council's apathy towards a new arena the team desperately needs to keep the team in the city beyond 2018-19 (I'm assuming they will be in Hamilton next year)--but like Mississauga, after that is dependent on a new lease, and for Hamilton's case, a new arena, because Andlauer wants a new arena plan ASAP so they can be in a new arena by the time the OHL's turn for the Memorial Cup comes in 2021, when they will likely bid again, when the Bulldogs will likely be an elite team again after the coming rebuild. He has already said he cannot wait 5-10 years for a new arena when FirstOntario is showing serious aging problems.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Yes, but that was more due to Gord Simmonds being a cheapa** owner--he never wanted the team in Belleville, and basically waited a decade until the Habs left Hamilton, and the OHL became open again for the city. He ran that team to the ground.

Considering how difficult it has been to build support for the Bulldogs in the OHL--it is questionable if its fanbase will tolerate a rebuild, which this team is heading straight towards.

Also not helping is the city council's apathy towards a new arena the team desperately needs to keep the team in the city beyond 2018-19 (I'm assuming they will be in Hamilton next year)--but like Mississauga, after that is dependent on a new lease, and for Hamilton's case, a new arena, because Andlauer wants a new arena plan ASAP so they can be in a new arena by the time the OHL's turn for the Memorial Cup comes in 2021, when they will likely bid again, when the Bulldogs will likely be an elite team again after the coming rebuild. He has already said he cannot wait 5-10 years for a new arena when FirstOntario is showing serious aging problems.

Your first point is abjectly absurd, if only because of the timeline

2004 - Simmonds buys the Bulls and immediately communicates a need for renovations.
2004 - Michael Andlauer purchases the AHL Hamilton Bulldogs from a local ownership consortium

So...Simmonds immediately buys the Bulls, expected the city of Belleville to not perform arena rennovations, expected Andlauer (who just bought the Habs affiliated Bulldogs and has been a longtime Habs fan and part owner of the Canadiens) would have to sell the team and buy his OHL team (despite no disucssions about an arena in Laval having occured until 2010) and intentionally cheaped out, tanked losses for a decade and frequently requested arena renos from Belleville, all so he could sell a majority stake in the team to Andlauer. It's ridiculous.

As far as building support, the Bulldogs are the 6th best attended team in the OHL after three seasons of exsistance. I have no doubt attendance will suffer a bit if they become a bottom feeding team, but even if they are middle of the pack sellers next season (like London this year) I doubt that's going to cause a massive exodus. This isn't Flint who after a few seasons of exsistance and a new facility dropped a coaching bomb, haven't performed are now 3rd worst in the league. Also Andlauer is now seeing additional revenue from making the playoffs.

As far as the arena, that is a different dicussion all together, from my understanding though the city is trying to make a land swap with developers to finance a build. I don't know how successful that will be, but it's still an attempt. That all said, I will agree a new arena or a major hockey oriented reno to First Ontario needs to happen this decade.

Regardless though, apart from Simmonds being cheap (and having a relationship with Burnett) there is little in the way of evidence to support Gruden being let go after winning the top seed this year. If Stan Butler and Bob Jones can also stick around, there is little reason to think Gruden is on his way out. If anything, I'd be concerned about an AHL team calling.

Last edited:

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton

While there are plenty of good points here, a couple grains of salt need to be spread. First, the person making this editorial is the former head of the disasterously run HECFI before Global Spectrum took over. Second, Hamilton City council having more of a hand in running things is actually a bad thing. Several members of council are perpetual "Anything to cut taxes" hawks (mainly because they live in Rural wards who didn't want to be amalgamated) and the council is consistently divided on many issues. Third, not sure the West Harbour location is anywhere as appealing as an indoor winter venue as an Outdoor Stadium venue. There are certainly benefits (GO access, nearby parking at Bayfront Park and pond hockey potential) but there are also drawbacks (land might be suspect, the bayfront is brutally cold in the winter, the land's tax worth will dramatically spike after it's cleaned up [which is hard in itself]) so saying West Harbour might not be the best plan. That said, it certainly has merits, I for one wanted Tim Hortons Field to end up there, and while an arena doesn't quite capitalize as well as the Stadium will, there is a lot of posistives.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Considering how much they spent for their win now moves--a 1st round loss will lead to major changes in the Bulldogs organization in 2018-19--almost certainly costing Gruden his job, and possibly Staios as well.

It is amazing how you can go from talking about Gruden and somehow relate that to beating the same dead horse you've been beating for 3 years (Bulls moving to Hamilton, Hamilton doesn't support hockey, Bulldogs need a new arena). All of this has nothing to do with Gruden, and it further proves how disgruntled and negative you are. On this page alone, you're critical of Gruden and talking about the possibility of him being fired even before round 1 started against Ottawa. The past is in the past. Get over it. It's obvious you want Hamilton to fail.

The difference between Gruden and Burnett is that Burnett and Simmons are good friends. When Andlauer bought the team, Burnett was given a chance before being canned. Burnett was horrible behind the bench and in the dressing room. Players couldn't even have fun and play without the fear of him screaming at them once they returned to the bench. He was a mood and confidence killer, and never trusted his imports, often limiting their minutes.

Gruden, while not perfect but better than Burnett, is more positive and genuinely tries to motivate his players (rather than Burnett's fake clap behind the bench after ripping into the team). Gruden's players understand that while they perform well, they have more freedom on the ice. Meanwhile, he isn't afraid to shake up lines when the team isn't performing and limit minutes for dumb mistakes. Gruden isn't perfect either (is any coach?), has a few flaws of his own. For young developing players though, they're more likely to become comfortable, learn, and perform faster under Gruden than they are under Burnett.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Bulldogs Round 2 sked:

BULLDOGS VS ICEDOGS ROUND 2 SCHEDULE – Hamilton Bulldogs
Game 1: April 5 at HAM
Game 2: April 7 at HAM
Game 3:April 9 at NIA
Game 4:April 11 at NIA
Game 5: April 12 at HAM
Game 6: April 14 at NIA
Game 7: April 16 at HAM

Hopefully the Bulldogs get a slumping Dhillon and can shut down the IceDogs offense. It could be a long time before the Bulldogs are back this deep in the playoffs again(likely 2020-21)--they have to win now! No more easy teams--this round and possibly next, if they get there, are against teams Hamilton has struggled against in Niagara and if they win, Barrie..

And BTW--I do want the Bulldogs to succeed, especially for Matthew Strome to have a shot to win a title. But even I know that this current core is in its final year of contention--especially when Studenic, Strome, Bitten, and their defense are a few weeks to within a year of graduation, with not much to replace it unless Staios has a strong draft later this week in the Priority Selection draft. And of course, any players remaining within a year of graduation like Strome will be dealt next season to replenish the Bulldogs' bare draft cupboard and lack of young talent.

I still say that a 2nd round exit will lead to coaching changes in the Bulldogs organization, regardless, even if Gruden stays.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad