Hamilton Bulldogs 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Who are you to doubt June Jones and Jerry Glanville???:laugh: Seriously I'm a lifelong Cats fan so I'll always have a soft spot for any team from Hamilton.

I used to be a Ti-Cats season ticket holder for around the last decade, but last year the organization literally hit every wrong button possible, in paticular trying to hire Art Briles and then trying to double down on the hiring and then Mitchell going on the radio and non-apologizing after the league got involved ticked me off more then a little. Then, the fact that no one got the axe for any of it (espcially given it went in hand with an awful on field record and complete silence during free agency) soured me enough to not renew. Any other organization would have had a house cleaning after that, espcially given how quick you can turn around an organization in this league (look at Toronto and Saskatchewan now compared to last year). Given they've been once again completely quiet during free agency (only signing a kicker so far) in a league where acquiring veteran national talent is of the utmost importance, I'm skeptical that we will see the Grey Cup back in Hamilton any time soon, but that's enough of me sounding off on the Cats.

I'm glad that the Bulldogs are getting a deep run, and I'm very pleased that a couple more friends have purchased seasons with the team. I've been nothing but impressed by the ticketing staff, and the fact the organization is a class act. I sincerely hope Michael Andlauer sticks it out with Hamilton and gets taken care of in some fashion with how great an owner he has been thusfar. Really hoping the team draws Kitchener. I think that would be a fun series and I know I'd make the trip up 6 and the 401.

Reactions: sabremike

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Depending on how you count the mergers the TiCats date back to 1869. The Art Briles fiasco was the lowest point in the teams history, even lower than that period in the early 90's where our very survival was far from a sure thing. Oskie Woe :-(

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Depending on how you count the mergers the TiCats date back to 1869. The Art Briles fiasco was the lowest point in the teams history, even lower than that period in the early 90's where our very survival was far from a sure thing. Oskie Woe :-(

I don't really feel the mergers were a low point, espcially when you consider the root cause of why it happened so players could fight in World War 2. I mean, the Tigers suspended themselves to go and fight the Nazis and military recruits started the Flying Wildcats while we were gone, so they could get ready to fight the Nazis. Then when the war was over, both teams couldn't be profitable in the same market so they merged. Of course, I wasn't alive when it happened, but everything I read on the subject was the merge went almost completely smoothly.

The 90s, yeah it was a dark time for the team, but realistically it was a dark time for the league as a whole. I mean apart from Edmonton and Toronto during the Candy years, every team was struggling to make profit, and the US expansion did little to help.

What kills me about Art Briles is that no one got fired for it, which was espcially shocking because everyone in the organization should have been completely expendable given the on field performance that season and the season before (or in the case of Jones, being in an interim role). I'd have renewed had they shown some semblance of accountability. Espcially when you look at how fast a brand new franchise in Ottawa won the cup, and how quick Toronto turned it around under Trestman. Any other orgnaization would have cleaned house on the performance issues alone, nevermind Briles.

That's enough about the Cats though. This is a forum for the Bulldogs. I kind of wonder what their practice scheduale is like while waiting for either the Soo or the Rangers.

Reactions: sabremike

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Just a quick clarification: wasn't mentioning the mergers as a low point, just as a qualifier on how far the team dates back to put into perspective just how awful the Briles thing was.

Back to the topic: Go Bulldogs, bring the OHL title and the Memorial Cup to The Hammer!!!!!!!!

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Gonna be tough to topple the Soo, but to be the best, you got to beat the best and they were the class of the league this season.

That’s a tough barn to win in.

I think our guys can do it, need a bit of puck luck and for Villalta to be average between the pipes. He’s been hit or miss thus far.

Special teams will be key.

staubitz

Apr 30, 2015
Look forward to having the Greyhounds face off against the Bulldogs in the OHL Final! You guys have bulldozed your way through the East so the Hounds will need to rest up as much as possible over the next few days.

Can anyone provide any feedback on the FirstOntario Centre. How many rows up in the end zones have a view through the glass (ie not through the netting)?

Leafs Fan 12

Jan 20, 2011
Good luck in the finals...I will definitely be rooting for you guys!!

Expect a dogfight off and on the ice as the Greyhound fans will whine about every little thing.

Go Hamilton Go!!!

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Alright time to crack some knuckles. Here is my primer to any fans making the trip down to Hamilton to watch the final

PARKING

Parking around the arena has wild fluctuations in pricing. The lot directly across the arena on Bay St for example (and you'll see a guy waving people into the lot) is usually a ludicrous 20 bucks. Parking under Jackson Square is a bit more reasonable, usually 10-15. Behind City Hall is also an option, but I believe it is a flat $7.50 most of the time. However, I've also had good experiences with the lots across from the library on York Blvd (usually $6) but the lots I would recommend are the large lot on Wilson and John as it usually goes for a reasonable $2.50-$4.50 after 5pm

FOOD

If you want good food, I recommend most of the restaurants down James St N and King William St which will work out quite well if you to park at a very large lot at John and Wilson or the York Blvd Parking Garage. In particular, Mesa (Mexican), Salt Lick Smoke (BBQ), Jack and Lois (Panini), HAMBGR (Gourmet Hamburgers), FSH & CHP (Fish & Chips), Capri (Italian), My Thai (Thai), The Mule (Tacos and Beer) and I'm told Sagarmatha curry palace (Indian) are all good options. There are also a galleries and the like down James St N and there are a host of other restaurants there, so there are also some fine dining places that don't exactly work out with a hockey game. Every third Friday in the month they have Art Crawl down there, but sadly one isn't scheduled in time for the series.

In Jackson Square itself, you will want to avoid The Honest Lawyer and The Works. I don't know what it is, but the service of both these places is god awful. The Honest Lawyer last I went also ran a limited menu during game day and The Works (while the food is decent) we had a party of six arrive at 5:30 and we didn't get our food in time for the game at 7:00pm. They both seem to be completely incapable of staffing correctly for a game. I wouldn't chance them. A better recommendation is the Farmers Market (if you get there early enough) has some excellent vendors, with the Hawaiian Pokeh bar, a real Ramen shop and some hybrid cuisine options.

If you are looking for a sports bar, The George Hamilton (Pub like), Wendel Clark's (Sports Bar) and Buffalo Anchor Bar (Sports Bar-Wings-Pizza) are also good joints, but I wouldn't call them world shattering but if you are looking for a more traditional sports pub experience they are the places to go. Wendel Clark's is a bit more upscale then the others.

If you are looking for Craft Beer Merit Brew Pub, Rust City Brewery and The Brain are the places to go. The Brain is often crowded so get there early but has probably the best food selection. Merit sticks to Sausages but they brew their own beer there and it's unique. Rust City is mainly Cafe Food but have an excellent selection of regional brew pubs.

If you are willing to walk a bit of a distance further up on John St is also Mezcal (Aweseome Tacos and Tequilla), Wass (Ethiopian) and the Pheasant Plucker (Scottish Pub) but they would be a bit of a hike. Apart from them, the only one I'd also recommend in walking distance is Lou Dogs (BBQ and Bourbon) in Hess Village but that's on the other side of the arena.

BREWERIES

I know when I go to a local place, I like to checkout the local breweries if I can. In Hamilton the three most likely Candidates are Fairweather, Grain and Grit and Collective Arts. Fairweather and Grain and Grit are closer to McMaster a bit of a distance from the arena. I mention them however, because they are practically across the street from each other, so you can kill two birds with one stone. Collective Arts can be found at the base of Victoria St and it is also a distance, but they are in my eyes the best brewery in the city with their Gose and Porter. The other two breweries in the city are Shawn and Ed (which resides in Dundas) and Clifford (which resides in the East end of the city) and are quite a long haul from the arena proper.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Look forward to having the Greyhounds face off against the Bulldogs in the OHL Final! You guys have bulldozed your way through the East so the Hounds will need to rest up as much as possible over the next few days.

Can anyone provide any feedback on the FirstOntario Centre. How many rows up in the end zones have a view through the glass (ie not through the netting)?

Hard to say, I'd hazard a guess at five rows? I'd recommend trying for one of the edge sections myself as there are only two pricing points at First Ontario.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
It’s too bad the Rangers couldn’t pull out the win tonight. A series against Kitchener (an OHL powerhouse, close by, with fans that would have filled up the First Ontario Centre) would have been the best thing possible for the Bulldogs franchise going forward.

Anyway, here’s to hoping that this series against the Hounds proves to be one for the ages.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
which end does the Soo shoot at twice/Hamilton shoot at twice...I'll probably be going to game 3 in Hamilton myself

75007s.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad