Hamilton Bulldogs 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LongtimeListener

Nov 27, 2017
You want us to succeed? You manage to find something wrong about everything the Bulldogs do. Everything.

And you posted this on Niagara's board too..

IceDogs win! Now they hope for Barrie to beat Missy--as Hamilton is the easiest route to a conference final for Niagara (IceDogs are 5-1 vs. the Bulldogs).

Sure seems like you really want us to do well...give us a break.

Bulldogs Round 2 sked:

BULLDOGS VS ICEDOGS ROUND 2 SCHEDULE – Hamilton Bulldogs
Game 1: April 5 at HAM
Game 2: April 7 at HAM
Game 3:April 9 at NIA
Game 4:April 11 at NIA
Game 5: April 12 at HAM
Game 6: April 14 at NIA
Game 7: April 16 at HAM

Hopefully the Bulldogs get a slumping Dhillon and can shut down the IceDogs offense. It could be a long time before the Bulldogs are back this deep in the playoffs again(likely 2020-21)--they have to win now! No more easy teams--this round and possibly next, if they get there, are against teams Hamilton has struggled against in Niagara and if they win, Barrie..

And BTW--I do want the Bulldogs to succeed, especially for Matthew Strome to have a shot to win a title. But even I know that this current core is in its final year of contention--especially when Studenic, Strome, Bitten, and their defense are a few weeks to within a year of graduation, with not much to replace it unless Staios has a strong draft later this week in the Priority Selection draft. And of course, any players remaining within a year of graduation like Strome will be dealt next season to replenish the Bulldogs' bare draft cupboard and lack of young talent.

I still say that a 2nd round exit will lead to coaching changes in the Bulldogs organization, regardless, even if Gruden stays.

Reactions: Canadian Game

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Whatever. But the Bulldogs are going to have to get off to a good start in this series--Niagara isn't Ottawa, and is a much tougher team. Even some of the Hamilton sports media is already nervous about this series considering the 1-5 mark the Bulldogs have against Niagara--with Stephen Dhillon the biggest enemy. They have to figure him out, as he could steal this series. Though the Bulldogs are a favorite, this matchup makes me nervous.

Here's the tale of the tape from Teri:

Bulldogs skate into Round 2 with swagger

The matchup: IceDogs and Bulldogs by the numbers

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Looks like Bulldogs drew bad Dhillon tonight--4-1 in the 3rd period, and in line to draw first blood in the series, barring a 3rd period meltdown.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Aw, DAMMIT! IceDogs have tied the game 4-4. Someone get Gruden to talk to these players.. blowing a 3 goal lead in a big playoff game like this is not OK, especially against a tough team they have been unable to beat.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Looks like Bulldogs drew bad Dhillon tonight--4-1 in the 3rd period, and in line to draw first blood in the series, barring a 3rd period meltdown.
Do not about that made 28 saves thru two periods 21 saves in the first listening on the radio so I don’t knit he had a chance on any of the goals.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
The reffing that game was brutal, in particular Reid, and not just that bogus closing hand on the puck penalty at the end of the third, or the Bitten diving call, or the bizarre Kaliev roughing call. You can't call weak tea like that and then not call Thomas get crosschecked in the back of the head, Moore getting high sticked, Bitten being tripped close to the crease and several missed interference calls.

Glad to see the Bulldogs pull one away in OT despite facing 7 skaters that game. Kudos to the fans from Niagara who made the trip down. I wonder if Hamilton will be getting a bus trip together?

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
With the Priority Selection draft tomorrow, what kind of players should the Bulldogs pick? Preferably, I'd go for defense--this club stands to lose its entire defensive core to graduation/AHL, along with Bitten, Studenic, Moore, Caamano, and possibly Saigeon. Staios needs to hit a home run in this draft.. as it's going to be a painful 2-3 years of rebuilding for Bulldogs fans.

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls
Hey folks, headed up tomorrow for game two with the wife. Planned on coming up early to hit the farmers market, go for dinner and then the game.

Few questions, is the market any good, is it worth coming up early for? Is there any decent restaurants within walking distance of the arena? Ideally, I would like to find a parking spot, walk to the market, walk to dinner and then to the game without having to move the car.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

bulldogsbaby

Jul 2, 2017
Hamilton, ON
Hey folks, headed up tomorrow for game two with the wife. Planned on coming up early to hit the farmers market, go for dinner and then the game.

Few questions, is the market any good, is it worth coming up early for? Is there any decent restaurants within walking distance of the arena? Ideally, I would like to find a parking spot, walk to the market, walk to dinner and then to the game without having to move the car.

I've never been to the Market myself but just across the street there is a lot me and my Dad park in all the time. I'm pretty sure it's cheaper than most. In terms of restaurants, there's a lot Downtown there. I'm not sure I'd say it's in walking distance from the lot or the arena but very close on James St. S, a place called "Mezcal" has REALLY good tacos and tequila definitely worth checking out at some point!

EDIT: The parking lot is on MacNab St. N just around the corner from the Market to be exact.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Another OT Win! Bulldogs are halfway to the conference final as the series heads to Niagara. Good crowd last night, BTW.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I really like Logan Morrison. He should be a good one
He is the one player in the draft who I think went too high. He gets lots of points, but he needs to play a tougher game. He's soft in many ways from the few games I've seen. One thign I really noticed that I thought was unusual was that on the PP his passes seemed like they were at the pee wee level when it came to power.
As for one of your other picks Diaco. I think if he was a little bigger he coul've been a top ten pick. Could be the most exciting player inthe draft. He is only around 5'4" or 5'5", but plays a little bigger. I think he is easily the biggest or shall I say littlest steal in the draft.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Apparently the IceDogs got chewed out by Burke--because they're giving the Bulldogs a hard time. 3-1 IceDogs in the 2nd.. this series is unfortunately far from over. This is likely going 6 or 7 I bet..

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
No OT magic this time--Bulldogs lose 4-3 in OT, series now 2-1. Dhillon stole another game for the IceDogs.. hopefully the Bulldogs rebound for Game 4.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
One more win till the team reaches its goal of a conference final! Bulldogs win 4-2 despite missing Strome (neck). Finish it off tomorrow night! (and hoping Kingston beats Barrie).

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton

Sorry about this, better late then never. In my experience, if you want good food, most of the restaurants down James St N and King William St which will allow you to park at a very large lot at John and Wilson or the York Blvd Parking Garage. In particular, Mesa (Mexican), Salt Lick Smoke (BBQ), Jack and Lois (Panini), HAMBGR (Gourmet Hamburgers), FSH & CHP (Fish & Chips), Capri (Italian) and I'm told Sagarmatha curry palace (Indian) are all good options.

You will want to avoid The Honest Lawyer and The Works. I don't know what it is, but the service of both these places is god awful. The Honest Lawyer last I went also ran a limited menu during game day and The Works (while the food is decent) we had a part of six arrive at 5:30 and we didn't get our food in time for the game at 7:00pm. They both seem to be completely incapable of staffing correctly for a game.

The George Hamilton (Pub like), Wendel Clark's (Sports Bar), Gate of India (Indian), My Thai (Thai) and The Mule (Tacos and Beer) and Buffalo Anchor Bar (Sports Bar-Wings-Pizza) are also good joints, but I wouldn't call them world shattering.

Additionally, if you are looking for Craft Beer Merit Brew Pub and Rust City Brewery are the places to go, but both have limited food options. Merit sticks to Sausages and Rust City is mainly Cafe Food.

A bit of a distance further up on John St is also Mezcal (Tacos and Tequilla), Wass (Ethiopian) and the Pheasant Plucker (Scottish Pub) but they would be a bit of a hike. Apart from them, the only one I'd also recommend in walking distance is Lou Dogs (BBQ and Bourbon) in Hess Village but that's on the other side of the arena.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
That out of the way, I presume I am not only in thinking the officiating this series has been brutal, with that called back goal being one of the weakest calls for goaltender interference on record. I mean, the first game was generically bad, the second a bit better, the third game with the Gleason Hooking call and Corneil "Slashing" call were two of the weakest calls possible, but that goal being taken back for Bitten's butt slightly brushing Dhillon was one of the worst calls made in this series.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Bulldogs are off to the conference final! They eliminated Niagara 4-2, and now await either Kingston or Barrie (likely Kingston, as they're about to take a stranglehold on that series).

Bulldogs really need to win one for Matthew--his brother Dylan won a J. Ross Robertson Cup a year ago with Erie. Now let's see if Matthew can do one for the Bulldogs before he's likely dealt for picks and prospects next season to another contender when the team goes into full rebuild..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad