Hamilton Bulldogs 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Next year is 2019 though. Is there a condition on Thomas regarding 2018 picks?

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I haven't seen this anywhere else or confirmed by the teams but this is what I found about the conditions from the Thomas trade the other day.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I don’t understand how anyone would be unhappy if they’re a bulldogs fan. If it’s just about a lack of future assets, there will be more than enough returning to re-load. And, Staios managed to retain a 2018-2nd, along with two 5ths & 6ths. That’s better than all the other contenders, except Kitchener (so far).

Hamilton, Kingston, SSM are all absolutely loaded. Landry & Webb as 7/8 D...so deep. Helvig & size, skill, speed of Kingston’s top 9 will be tough to beat.
Bulldogs drafting record is probably why most fans should not worry. They could do better throwing darts at the prospect list. At least this way they are getting players who seem to be able to play in the OHL.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton

Not happy with trading Webb but I get it. It hurts his development to be a nightly scratch when he has limited OHL experience and is drafted. I really liked the idea of having him for the depth. This is in Webb's best interest.

It really is, with the team loaded up as it is, Webb is the odd man out. Having him on the bench till next year just doesn't make sense. I'm just a bit surprised Saginaw gave up a 2nd next year for him, I thought they were rebuilding. I'll be honest, part of me thought Webb was heading to Sudbury as part of a Sokolov deal.

It's also very clear what Gruden's game plan is with all these defensemen. Insulate your goaltending (be in Fulcher or Donofrio) who I think are great tenders, just not the cream of the crop (yet) and score goals via committee, capitalizing on weaker opposing 2nd and 3rd lines. The only concern with this strategy has been the Bulldogs Achilles heel this season. If you hit a hot tender, those other lines suddenly don't score as much and you are left with shootouts which we don't seem to have much luck with.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Landry might be an even better fit for Sokolov
Just hand over some 2018 picks too :)

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Just did a quick look. Both Hamilton's and London's press release say there was a conditional 15th round pick involved for Gleason.
BULLDOGS ACQUIRE GLEASON FROM KNIGHTS – Hamilton Bulldogs
KNIGHTS ANNOUNCE TWO TRADES – London Knights

Most Knights fans have been going on the assumption that the conditional 15th will become a 3rd in ‘19 if Gleason plays an OA year.
Can’t really trade a draft pick in May when the player won’t return for sure until September, right?

Reactions: Canadian Game

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
It's also very clear what Gruden's game plan is with all these defensemen. Insulate your goaltending (be in Fulcher or Donofrio) who I think are great tenders, just not the cream of the crop (yet) and score goals via committee, capitalizing on weaker opposing 2nd and 3rd lines. The only concern with this strategy has been the Bulldogs Achilles heel this season. If you hit a hot tender, those other lines suddenly don't score as much and you are left with shootouts which we don't seem to have much luck with.
This is very accurate.

It's also interesting seeing Gruden's strategy with the defence over time. For over a year I've wanted the Bulldogs to get a PP quarterback (like Stephen Desrocher but with better accuracy) because I've wanted more offence from the blueline. However, I only recently realized that Gruden has a different plan. Each time Staios brought in a dman with some offensive ability, the new guy would come out hot and shoot a lot and a few games later they'd be passing more and shooting less. He wants the defence to make good passes and stick to defence. Meanwhile, I also think Gruden is huge on puck possession and that's why we also see less shots from the blue line along with improved faceoffs. Even in OT, we tend to control the puck a lot. I think the D has good offensive potential (especially from Lemcke, Gleason, Mattinen, and Landry) but I've come to realize that Gruden would rather a quality shot from a forward where they can catch player and goalies out of position, and control the play better. For the most part the priority of our D will be to shut down teams and move pucks forward.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Trade deadline has passed. Trades can still trickle in over the next few hours but I'd be surprised if Hamilton did anything else. I think our final roster is set.

bulldogsbaby

Jul 2, 2017
Hamilton, ON
I missed the STH Town Hall and received a recap email of what questions were asked the other day.

There was something interesting about how the Bulldogs are leaving an OA spot open for Luff if he were to somehow be sent back down.

Does anyone think that there's a slight possibility this could happen? I think that would just put the talent level of This team over the top and in serious contentention with teams like Sarnia & possibly the Greyhounds.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I missed the STH Town Hall and received a recap email of what questions were asked the other day.

There was something interesting about how the Bulldogs are leaving an OA spot open for Luff if he were to somehow be sent back down.

Does anyone think that there's a slight possibility this could happen? I think that would just put the talent level of This team over the top and in serious contentention with teams like Sarnia & possibly the Greyhounds.
Unfortunately, I believe the chances are 0%. Teams can have a maximum of 3 OAs and Lemcke, Walters, Moore occupy Hamilton's spots. If Staios thought there was a good chance of Luff returning, I think he'd have left one space open.

Luff has been doing well with the Ontario Reign as a rookie. 4th in team points and he's only 1 of 4 players to play all 32 games thus far. They're definitely giving him every opportunity to play. I guess if the Reign missed the playoffs he could return but Hamilton doesn't have the OA spot and must have known that the chances were unlikely of him being sent back.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
My guess is Reilly Webb was dealt for a few reasons:

1. To replenish their draft picks, especially for 2018 (they now have London and Kitchener's 2nd rounders, though they are expected to be low picks in the back end of the 2nd round of the draft)
2. Demands by the Red Wings to get him closer so they can better evaluate him (he's Detroit property)
3. Hamilton's D line is full right now, and Webb needs playing time--he wasn't going to get it in Hamilton, so they dealt him somewhere he'll play regularly.

As for the Gravelle deal, this was more so that Hamilton's D actually has somebody for 2018-19 and to get a 4th liner who's unlikely to play much, as he wasn't doing much with the Steelheads. Remember, the Bulldogs stand to lose 4-6 D-men in 2018-19 due to graduation and OA limits, in addition to losing Fulcher, Moore, Bitten, Cammano, Studenic as well.

Saigeon will also likely not be back, as his strong season with the Bulldogs will almost certainly net him a free agent ELC with an NHL team for their AHL affiliate..

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Good they kept Donofrio. With an unproven Zachary Roy coming (who has not impressed with the Rockland Nationals, with a <.900 SV% and a 3.20 GAA) and a struggling Tanner Sheppard (.896 SV% and a 3.00 GAA in Jr. B and also unsigned by the Bulldogs), they have to keep some insurance since Fulcher is headed for Grand Rapids next season.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Good to see former Bulldog Stephen Templeton caught on last week with Chicoutimi of the Q. In his first 3 games he's picked up 2 points. Two of his teammates are former London Knights the Klima brothers.

Eamon5

Sep 1, 2007
Most Knights fans have been going on the assumption that the conditional 15th will become a 3rd in ‘19 if Gleason plays an OA year.
Can’t really trade a draft pick in May when the player won’t return for sure until September, right?
Gleason is a 98. His OA year starts in Sept. of 2018. If he plays then the 15th pick in 19 becomes a third.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Good to see former Bulldog Stephen Templeton caught on last week with Chicoutimi of the Q. In his first 3 games he's picked up 2 points. Two of his teammates are former London Knights the Klima brothers.
Good for him. I thought he was planning on going to school but maybe he put that aside when Chicoutimi came knocking. Glad he found another team in the CHL.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
The gamesheet tonight has a Bulldog player wearing # 26 that doesn't look right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad