Hamilton Bulldogs 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
There's been rumours of Staios being interested in Raaymakers. Some London fans thought Raaymakers may go with Thomas to Hamilton.

Another goalie to add to the mix is Dylan Wells since the Petes have now traded Jonathan Ang, which pretty much means they're sellers. However, with Wells not having a great season, I'd prefer Raaymakers or DiPietro if we acquire a goalie.

both Raaymakers and Wells will be hard to come by based on what both GMs stated today...Hamilton needs to acquire a decent tender though to stand a chance going into playoffs

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Trade's happened as expected. Thomas is now with the Bulldogs.

While this makes Hamilton one of the faves in the East (though Kingston is closing the gap as is Barrie and possibly others, and the Bulldogs, along with the rest of the East are going to have a difficult time facing the OHL rep. favorite in the Memorial Cup, the Soo Greyhounds or the Sarnia Sting), this could lead to a very hard fall in 2018-19 and beyond, as the Bulldogs don't have a 2nd rounder of their own until 2023 (the 2007s class), which could force a painful rebuild next season--Staios must be under pressure from ownership to win now, with no real plan for future years.

And losing Connor McMichael in the deal drains their core of young players.. especially on a team that stands to lose 5 defensemen, (or even 6 depending if Reilly Webb signs a ELC with the Red Wings), up to 6 forwards, and their starting goaltender Kaden Fulcher (signed ELC with Detroit) after this season, pending NHL signings or OA situations.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
As it stands right now 9 players won't be back next season. The Bulldogs are all-in for this season and will worry about replacements when their playoff run ends.

Reactions: digiblader

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
The 2 number one picks traded (2016 and 2017) were all sizzle and no steak. Crappy drafting imho--at least on production to date. All these trades means win this year or else. An old team got older but obviously better for at least this year.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Only goalie of substance left out there is Cormier. Raaymakers and Wells staying put. I would put something together for DD. He loses Cormier at end of season but still needs a goalie to get them through a run in playoffs, Fulcher could do that. As an added bonus there is no guarantee Fulcher not returned to O next year.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Only goalie of substance left out there is Cormier. Raaymakers and Wells staying put. I would put something together for DD. He loses Cormier at end of season but still needs a goalie to get them through a run in playoffs, Fulcher could do that. As an added bonus there is no guarantee Fulcher not returned to O next year.

Fulcher's already signed by the Red Wings. He will not return. And the Bulldogs can't afford to trade Donofrio as that would leave them with just Zachary Roy on the depth charts for 2018-19(not convinced on their other prospects).. and that is not something the Bulldogs can afford, especially with the team expected to be gutted by graduation.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
That's why I would make a hard play for Raaymakers, he will return next year. Fulcher is signed so that would suggest they have a plan for him but I personally don't see him making the jump next year. Good goalie but has a lot of fundamental improvements to make.
London wants a goalie for the playoffs this year so Fulcher is more than capable of providing that. Like I said before, if that trade is not possible the next best option is Cormier.
If I were Hamilton, I would hold the course and see what happens.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
With the OA trade deadline at noon, I hope Hamilton sticks with who they have (Lemcke, Walters, Moore). I've read some opinions in the past 24 hours that Hamilton should look to upgrade Walters, however he's a reliable stay at home D and the top shot blocker on the team. If goaltending is a bit of an issue, I don't know why Hamilton would trade Walters.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
OA deadline's passed, and the Bulldogs are sticking with Fuclher/Donofrio. Especially considering they need to keep Donofrio as 2018/19 insurance, as it is not a certainty Zachary Roy will be ready to make the leap to the OHL as a starter.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
More mortgaging of the team's future for more of a chance to get destroyed by the overwhelming favorite, the Soo Greyhounds in the OHL Final--sure it may help now, but they are going to pay dearly after this season--as this will add another defenseman likely to depart Hamilton after this season due to graduation to the AHL as he will be 20 next year and is likely booked for the Marlies:

In addition, it means Hamilton now has no second rounder of their own until 2027... and will likely mean a major selloff after this season to replenish their empty cupboard of picks and prospects:

BULLDOGS ACQUIRE NICOLAS MATTINEN FROM FLINT – Hamilton Bulldogs

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Personally, I will enjoy the ride this season. The Dogs have an excellent shot to win the league. Just a bit worried about Fulcher, hopefully he can perform when the pressure is on.

Draft picks in this league get tossed around like candy. I'm sure over the next year or two, the Dogs will restock the cupboard by selling off some of their players as they go through a rebuild.

This year is their window so you go for it. No time to sit back.

Reactions: Canadian Game

LongtimeListener

Nov 27, 2017
More mortgaging of the team's future for more of a chance to get destroyed by the overwhelming favorite, the Soo Greyhounds in the OHL Final--sure it may help now, but they are going to pay dearly after this season--as this will add another defenseman likely to depart Hamilton after this season due to graduation to the AHL as he will be 20 next year and is likely booked for the Marlies:

In addition, it means Hamilton now has no second rounder of their own until 2027... and will likely mean a major selloff after this season to replenish their empty cupboard of picks and prospects:

BULLDOGS ACQUIRE NICOLAS MATTINEN FROM FLINT – Hamilton Bulldogs

Every year there is going to be some overwhelming favourite you have to compete against. If you can get through the EAST then at least you are there and have the chance to compete. If not now, then when?

Last edited by a moderator:

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
With the recent moves, this is how I picture the lines:

Strome - Thomas - Bitten
Caamano - Saigeon - Studenic
Kaliyev - Moore - Entwistle
Jackson - Garagan - Nurse
Extras: Burnell, Murray Mutter

Stillman - Lemcke
Gleason - Mattinen (unsure which order)
Hanley - Walters
Extras: Landry, Webb

Fulcher
Donofrio

I'd imagine we will see some minor adjustments as Gruden toys with lines and finding chemistry for Thomas and Mattinen.

The fourth line will likely regularly change giving our bottom 3 and scratches experience. Nurse is the only locked into every lineup, and possibly Garagan. That leaves Burnell, Jackson, Murray, and Mutter for rotation. If Hamilton plays a rougher team, Mutter could be in for the energy, while Jackson has the most OHL experience and may be used versus more difficult teams.

I hate to see Webb as a scratch but the positive is that it speaks to the depth of the Bulldogs' defence.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gruden experiments with Studenic on the top line and Bitten second line at some point. With Studenic being a better scorer than Bitten thus far, he could complement Thomas on the top line. Meanwhile Bitten and Saigeon have also played well together before, and Bitten could work well with Caamano.

I've seen a lot of opinions about the top 3 centers since the Thomas trade. Some people have Moore staying on the top line, Thomas on the second, and Saigeon on the third. Personally, I can't see a team trading so much for an elite player and not giving them first line minutes. Meanwhile, the second line is working so well as is, putting Moore at center would drastically change it. Also, Thomas (62.5%) and Saigeon (55.5%) are by far the top 2 faceoff guys on the team. Faceoffs = puck possession. Moore is 50% this season but 47.5% with Hamilton. Quite often Hamilton's second line is matched against other team's top lines. Having Moore faceoff against top lines when we have Thomas and Saigeon doesn't make sense to me. Moore could also be better matched with Kaliyev since Kaliyev is a sniper and Moore tends to set up more goals than score.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
How about Sudbury fix the numbers problem on defence and acquire Webb for Sokolov. We can also send a 2nd in 2021 and take Murray off your hands as well.

WJ

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
From my understanding Hamilton has used all of its cards. It's something that I'm not too familiar with (card rules and how they work) but I was told that Hamilton had 2 cards remaining prior to the Thomas and Mattinen trades.

Reactions: Wolfman Jack

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I don’t understand how anyone would be unhappy if they’re a bulldogs fan. If it’s just about a lack of future assets, there will be more than enough returning to re-load. And, Staios managed to retain a 2018-2nd, along with two 5ths & 6ths. That’s better than all the other contenders, except Kitchener (so far).

Hamilton, Kingston, SSM are all absolutely loaded. Landry & Webb as 7/8 D...so deep. Helvig & size, skill, speed of Kingston’s top 9 will be tough to beat.

Dogsgottabite

Oct 9, 2015
If the Bulldogs won the Championship, I still think digiblader would complain about some conditions on a few 2nd round picks that would kick in.
if he/she won the lottery I think they'd complain that they have to drive to pick up the cheque.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I'm still amazed that Staios was able to hang onto that 2018 2nd round pick of London's. I fully expected that to be used in the Thomas trade. Retaining that pick will help with the rebuild provided they draft well, which they have a decent history of so far.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario

Not happy with trading Webb but I get it. It hurts his development to be a nightly scratch when he has limited OHL experience and is drafted. I really liked the idea of having him for the depth. This is in Webb's best interest.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I knew he would be dealt. I'm sure the agent for Webb must have been pushing to find him a new team. Regardless if Hamilton was all in a player who is drafted and unsigned needs to play. With Webb's size and age it made him attractive to other teams. Good deal for Hamilton to recoup a couple of picks and for the development of Webb.

WJ

Reactions: Canadian Game

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Now Hamilton has 2-2nds,...2-5ths & 6ths & all further picks for 2018 draft. Quite impressive for a team that added so much.

Reactions: OSA

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
If the Bulldogs won the Championship, I still think digiblader would complain about some conditions on a few 2nd round picks that would kick in.

I imagine it would go something to the effect of "Why did you load up just to win the OHL championship when you knew team X from the WHL/QMJHL was in the race for the Memorial Cup?" or "Why would you do that when you knew <insert CFL institution team here> was hosting?"

Reactions: LongtimeListener

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Now Hamilton has 2-2nds,...2-5ths & 6ths & all further picks for 2018 draft. Quite impressive for a team that added so much.

I think one of those 2 seconds might go to London if Ben Gleason is back next year, not 100% certain on that. I know the London board is pretty on point with that type of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA