Hamilton Bulldogs 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Big game yesterday from the newest Bulldog Jake Gravelle. Two goals for his Mississauga Chargers. He'll be in the conversation for a spot on next years blue line for sure.

He'll be on the team--Hamilton's D line is going to be decimated by graduation and many of their D-men drafted previously refusing to report to the Bulldogs, as many of them are choosing the NCAA route over Hamilton.

It's also not certain whether Xavier Henry or Jayden Jensen will sign with the team, Tyler Spott is NCAA bound.. basically, this team is going to have to go heavy on defense in this year's draft--but can Staios be trusted on drafting? Especially when his last 2 first rounders are in other organizations now in a "win-now" move, as 2018-19 and likely 2019-20 are going to be brutal with all the graduation, and the likelihood of a very low pick in this year's draft, as this team is headed for the #1 seed in the East..

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
My pick to win the East. Good luck and enjoy, we could sure use some of that success up in Sudbury.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
There are situations in a game where a failed pass on a goal scoring chance is still the 'right' play to try. In last nights game I can recount at least two occasions where a back door tap in was available by a team mate and the pass wasn't made. There are reasons why a player with his skill goes through two drafts and no-one selects him. The talent is undoubtedly there however the vision isn't always. His scoring ability is on show most games on the PP where he excels. We will agree to disagree.
How is "a failed pass on a goal scoring chance is still the 'right' play to try"? A shot generated from a quality shooting opportunity is better than no shot at all.

Saigeon was passed on in the first draft because he had a season ending injury (broken arm) in January(?) just after he was breaking out, but then attended Toronto's camp after he recovered. Last year he had a strong season while Gruden had little line consistency until the final weeks of the season, and for some reason had Saigeon (a natural C) playing wing at times. Meanwhile him and Petti were our top faceoff guys. Edmonton invited him to their camp, which they even said they liked his high hockey IQ and vision. This year he has continued to develop, increased his scoring, and is on the Central Scouting mid-term rankings, which isn't common for someone entering their third draft year. I'd imagine a few teams are keeping a close eye on him, including Toronto and Edmonton, and he'll likely be signed after a strong 17-18 season. If you want to agree to disagree, that's fine.

Also note that of the former Bulldogs who went pro, all were undrafted but still signed: Matt Luff, Niki Petti, Mason Marchment. Being drafted doesn't make one player better than another, and nor is being undrafted a bad thing. Being drafted is a footstep towards going pro, but those players still need to earn contracts to turn pro just as undrafted players do.

bulldogsbaby

Jul 2, 2017
Hamilton, ON
Kind of an unrelated question, but how do you guys feel about all the 3 in 3's or 3 in 4's this year? From an entertainment perspective, I think I would prefer games to be spread out throughout the week so we're not waiting all week for some hockey. I understand traveling is a huge part of developing a schedule and what not so I'm sure that has to do with a lot of it.

It's my first real season following the Dogs, so I'm not sure if it's always been like this in the OHL.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Kind of an unrelated question, but how do you guys feel about all the 3 in 3's or 3 in 4's this year? From an entertainment perspective, I think I would prefer games to be spread out throughout the week so we're not waiting all week for some hockey. I understand traveling is a huge part of developing a schedule and what not so I'm sure that has to do with a lot of it.

It's my first real season following the Dogs, so I'm not sure if it's always been like this in the OHL.
The OHL is basically a weekend sport. The players are all students and that is factored into the schedule. The games are jammed together on a lot of weekends which does have an effect on games being played if a team has had two games in two nights and then has to play the third in the following afternoon. It sucks for players and is probably a factor in fatigue and sickness that runs throughout squads. It won't change anytime soon because of school.

Dogsgottabite

Oct 9, 2015
How is "a failed pass on a goal scoring chance is still the 'right' play to try"? A shot generated from a quality shooting opportunity is better than no shot at all.

Saigeon was passed on in the first draft because he had a season ending injury (broken arm) in January(?) just after he was breaking out, but then attended Toronto's camp after he recovered. Last year he had a strong season while Gruden had little line consistency until the final weeks of the season, and for some reason had Saigeon (a natural C) playing wing at times. Meanwhile him and Petti were our top faceoff guys. Edmonton invited him to their camp, which they even said they liked his high hockey IQ and vision. This year he has continued to develop, increased his scoring, and is on the Central Scouting mid-term rankings, which isn't common for someone entering their third draft year. I'd imagine a few teams are keeping a close eye on him, including Toronto and Edmonton, and he'll likely be signed after a strong 17-18 season. If you want to agree to disagree, that's fine.

Also note that of the former Bulldogs who went pro, all were undrafted but still signed: Matt Luff, Niki Petti, Mason Marchment. Being drafted doesn't make one player better than another, and nor is being undrafted a bad thing. Being drafted is a footstep towards going pro, but those players still need to earn contracts to turn pro just as undrafted players do.
I can see you're a little "Saigeon Sensitive" ? Its a little weird. Go Dogs!

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I can see you're a little "Saigeon Sensitive" ? Its a little weird. Go Dogs!
I am a fan, but I'm more surprised because I've never heard someone so critical of him as much as you. Usually people tend to have a lot of positive things to say about him. Clearly we see him differently, which is fine. Generally though, I tend to like many of your thoughts. I can never seem to keep things short...as shown in many of my posts. I'm not here to toot anyone's horn or throw anyone under the bus. When I make a point though, I use facts, stats, and examples regardless of the player. I'm a die-hard fan, want to see players succeed and so I follow them closely, and can recall a lot about them.

Last edited:

Dogsgottabite

Oct 9, 2015
I am a fan, but I'm more surprised because I've never heard someone so critical of him as much as you. Usually people tend to have a lot of positive things to say about him. Clearly we see him differently, which is fine. Generally though, I tend to like many of your thoughts. I can never seem to keep things short...as shown in many of my posts. I'm not here to toot anyone's horn or throw anyone under the bus. When I make a point though, I use facts, stats, and examples regardless of the player. I'm a die-hard fan, want to see players succeed and so I follow them closely, and can recall a lot about them.
What are you talking about??? I simply made an observation from a game i went too, where i thought he should pass more. You need to take step back and reevaluate this conversation from the beginning. "so critical"??? Facts are facts. He went through two drafts. Agreed? There must be a reason for that. Agreed? I never once said that the drafted players are better than him. Agreed? He has had his best season to date and is a major factor in our success. Agreed? Im sure someone will sign him based on his performance this season. Agreed? If you take exception to another fans observations from a game and you take it so personally, maybe you're not being objective concerning this particular player. I too am a fan who wants the best for every player on the team, but that certainly doesn't limit me from making observations and having an opinion. I repeat this is kinda weird.

bulldogsbaby

Jul 2, 2017
Hamilton, ON
The OHL is basically a weekend sport. The players are all students and that is factored into the schedule. The games are jammed together on a lot of weekends which does have an effect on games being played if a team has had two games in two nights and then has to play the third in the following afternoon. It sucks for players and is probably a factor in fatigue and sickness that runs throughout squads. It won't change anytime soon because of school.
Yeah I totally forgot all about their schooling, that makes a lot of sense.

I wonder what effect it would have on their performance if games were spaced out More throughout the week.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Yeah I totally forgot all about their schooling, that makes a lot of sense.

I wonder what effect it would have on their performance if games were spaced out More throughout the week.
Hard to say really with all the travelling and practices. There is a lot expected from these teenagers. I guess the league is trying to run a business and still trying to do what's right for the players education. Very few every get a real shot at pro hockey so it's a good thing.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Bulldogs get another win! They beat a team they're supposed to beat in the Petes. Unfortunately, they may have lost Robert Thomas for multiple games, depending on Branch's wheel of justice, as Thomas was tossed for a dangerous slash..

11 point lead on Niagara now..

Reactions: three dog night

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Bulldogs are in Kitchener tonight--this is a crucial test to whether the Bulldogs are a true threat to be a Memorial Cup team, as they are at the top of their division and along with Sarnia and Soo, are teams that could be playing in Regina--Bulldogs need to prove they can beat the elite in the West. Then the Steelheads come in.. and that team is hot like they were this point last year--8-2 in their last 10, and rapidly climbing up the standings towards a playoff spot (too bad fans aren't showing up in Missy--just 1990 showed up to see the Trout beat Guelph.)

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Tough loss Missy tom night my Ice dogs lost too so it sill a eleven point margin for top spot wish I do not think will narrow much.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Hamilton has a talented squad. Tough team to play against. They have a lot of threats on every line. The banged the Ranger defense on every shift. Culina stood on his head and won this game for the Rangers. The Bulldogs would really be a hard team to beat for any team in the league in a seven game series.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Andlauer's getting frustrated with the city--he wants progress on a new arena soon, with his preference to be in a new arena in Hamilton by 2020-21--don't be surprised if he starts going year-to-year on the next lease and doesn't commit long term if the city continues to procrastinate on a new arena, and he starts to threaten to put the relocation card on the table:

I expect he'll sign a 1 year lease extension on FirstOntario--but no more than that, because the arena needs to be replaced ASAP, and he'll likely put any future for the team dependent on a new arena.

Years to move on new Hamilton arena too long: Bulldogs owner

vince

Dec 6, 2017
Hamilton has a talented squad. Tough team to play against. They have a lot of threats on every line. The banged the Ranger defense on every shift. Culina stood on his head and won this game for the Rangers. The Bulldogs would really be a hard team to beat for any team in the league in a seven game series.

And i didnt think they played anywhere near their recent best......having Thomas and Entwhistle out of the lineup is one of the reasons, plus Bitten only played a small portion of the game. Had those three been playing it would have been a much different result, let alone the Bulldogs outshooting Kitchener something like 45-30. Fulcher had one of his off games where easy shots go in and then he turns around and makes difficult saves.

I didnt like the Bulldogs game last night, and that is a sign of what they can be if everyone played to their utmost ability

Reactions: BarDownskie

vince

Dec 6, 2017
Not in the lineup--he might be hurt. But I don't know what happened..

Entwhistle ran into a Petes player the other night, sort of like a blind sided hit into that player and he was knocked out. Dont know if a butt end hit him, or just was dazed from the hit but it was one of those plays where you skate backwards and then turn around and you bump into a player just standing there. He didnt expect it, nor did he see the player. I doubt that it would be a long term injury but who knows

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
And i didnt think they played anywhere near their recent best......having Thomas and Entwhistle out of the lineup is one of the reasons, plus Bitten only played a small portion of the game. Had those three been playing it would have been a much different result, let alone the Bulldogs outshooting Kitchener something like 45-30. Fulcher had one of his off games where easy shots go in and then he turns around and makes difficult saves.

I didnt like the Bulldogs game last night, and that is a sign of what they can be if everyone played to their utmost ability
I wouldn't say they were all easy goals last night. One was a highlight reel goal where he never saw the puck go in like a bullet. Still Hamilton has a great squad that could challenge any team I have watched. Good for the Hammer.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
  • Nice win tonight without Bitten, Entwistle and Thomas. Say, that wouldn't be a bad line eh?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino