Speculation: Hall back to EDM

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
How does this make any sense for Buffalo? Larsson is a UFA at season's end and they certainly aren't playing for anything this season. Taking on Neal too? I can't even wrap my head around what it would take for the Sabres to absorb that type of deal.

Someone's sarcasm detector is malfunctioning today.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Pretty much the exact opposite of what Holland said a week ago. Paraphrasing but he said Oilers have plenty of depth and he’s happy with that and it’s going to make a trade it’s going to be for an impact player that can step in and not more depth.

You’re actually completely wrong. We need top 6 players, not depth

But do the Oilers necessarily need to be even more top-heavy to get to that next level? Is it worthwhile to add another $8M cap hit at forward (and maybe higher if he extends)? Do the Oilers have the cap room to support such a structure?

I'm scanning over the production of the bottom-6 and not really seeing the depth that you two and Holland are alluding to. My line of thinking is through how our team succeeded, which was creating an effective 3rd line (Coleman/Gourde/Goodrow) that can influence the game both in terms of scoring and possession. Can either of you elaborate on what you've been getting out of the third and fourth lines so far?

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Hall gets to dictate where he goes and I doubt any team will give a 1st for him.

You're adding in Koskinen who still has term left in his contract and hasn't proven that he deserves that kind of contract. We'd be lucky to get Ullmark for Koskinen straight up right now. Which leaves Chiasson, Jones and a 2nd for Hall and that's not enough.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
You're adding in Koskinen who still has term left in his contract and hasn't proven that he deserves that kind of contract. We'd be lucky to get Ullmark for Koskinen straight up right now. Which leaves Chiasson, Jones and a 2nd for Hall and that's not enough.

It would be the only way to make the deal work. Edmonton can’t take Hall without moving equal money to Buffalo. Realistically it would never happen but Buffalo fans will be disappointed in the return for Hall.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
It would be the only way to make the deal work. Edmonton can’t take Hall without moving equal money to Buffalo. Realistically it would never happen but Buffalo fans will be disappointed in the return for Hall.

I get that, I'd be open to trading Koskinen if anyone will take him. I just think we're a little light on the return for Hall. And while Buffalo probably won't get a super great return for Hall, they'll do better than Jones/Chiasson/2nd.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Speculation as per Scott Burnside:

NHL Insider Believes Taylor Hall Is Going Back To The Edmonton Oilers - NHL Rumors - NHLTradeRumors.Me

Perhaps Holland is interesting in acquiring Hall.. and getting rid of Neal contract at the same time?

I am assuming the price is Broberg.
If we move out Neal and get Hall at 50% we would be gaining cap space. I can’t see Buff doing this unless it was for Broberg and maybe more.

As an Oiler fan I am cringing unless we sign Hall. If we sign Hall, can we still afford RNH?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If we move out Neal and get Hall at 50% we would be gaining cap space. I can’t see Buff doing this unless it was for Broberg and maybe more.

As an Oiler fan I am cringing unless we sign Hall. If we sign Hall, can we still afford RNH?
We might be able to afford both Hall and Nuge.

But we sure as heck won't be able to afford an upgrade in net as well. I crunched some numbers yesterday, and the only way we can re-sign Nuge, bring in a starting goalie at average starting goalie money, and bring in a top six winger, would be if he signed for around what Neal makes, and I don't think Hall would sign for that low. Maybe if we bought out Koskinen or found a taker, but I don't want to buy out anyone in this scenario if at all possible, not when we are finally about to get some dead space back from past buyouts.

I think improving in net and re-signing Nuge are both more important than bringing in Taylor Hall.

Reactions: belair and TFHockey

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Honestly why would they want him at this point?

I'm sorry this is going to be so long but it's something I think about a lot.

Hall traded to Devils- Rampant rumors about Hall being a "locker room cancer" as he's shipped to NJ.
He talked several times about how he took the trade personally and was unhappy.

First year with the Devils- 72gp 20g 33a 53p - Not bad but not great. He had a bit of an attitude issue. So much so that Ray Shero said he had a four hour dinner with Taylor after the season and told him he had to commit and state that he wanted to be here otherwise he would have to trade him.

Second year with the Devils- 76gp 39a 54a 93p- Amazing. MVP.

Third year with the Devils- 33gp 11g 26a 37p- Goal scoring was down... but he was still contributing a an over 1ppg rate... missed half the season due to his knee injury.

Fourth year with the Devils- 30gp 6g 19a 25p- This was a mess. His contract had been a distraction since before the season started. He absolutely lost a step after his knee surgery. His goal scoring continued to disappear. The Devils were bad. No question about it.. They started 0-4-3. The fans started to boo because they blew practically every game at home from a leading position. He made comments to the media about fans booing that it was affecting him. He would say over and over again that he wanted to play with a winning team. He wanted to win. The Devils spent some money to get him some help with Gusev and Subban... remember the joke that the Devils won the offseason? Hall did not seem into it mentally at all.

Funny enough as soon as they scratched him from the lineup (he sat 2-3 games before trading him) the team immediately started playing better. Last 10 games before trading him 2-7-1. 20-13-7 after benching and trading him.

The Coyotes 10 games before acquiring him- 5-4-1. After acquiring him- 15-16-4. 10 goals in 35 games for them.
Yes, there were other reasons for the Yotes slipping a bit... they had serious goaltending injuries. It's just interesting that he didn't seem to improve them and the Devils benefitted not having him there.

The conversation became about his contract. He did the same dance as he did with the Devils. He said he was open to signing there but wanted to win. It was obvious he wasn't going to stay there.

So after all the talk about wanting to win, he signs with the Buffalo Sabres. One year. He has 2 goals in 27 games. It is obvious he isn't interested in staying in Buffalo no matter what he says. He has one more crack at free agency for a long term deal and wanted Jack Eichel to help him put up some points and get his value back up.

So my overall question to Oilers fans is, do you want him? Why? He's a distraction, he's unfortunately lost his scoring touch due to his knee injury and he's going to be an expensive player. Can he handle the Canadian media? He was really sensitive about how he left Edmonton and had comments for the media there.

All the best to him, honestly. During his MVP season, he was amazing. I bought a Hall jersey. It was one of the most fun times I've had as a Devils fan since 2003... but that just really ended on a sour note.
I know guys have to get their money while they can... but if he's really interested in winning, I think his best bet is to do something like 5 or 6x5 in Colorado, Vegas, Carolina, or Philadelphia... less pressure since he will have a contract at a reasonable price... and he will have the chance to win in that span.

I wouldn’t take Hall for free . I may trade Neal straight up fir him but of course Buffalo wouldn’t. I hope he goes to Calgary and they trade Johnny small fry hockey . Win win for the Oilers

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Lol at the Broberg suggestion for an expiring UFA.

That’ll happen at Never o’clock.

Reactions: Calypso

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
But do the Oilers necessarily need to be even more top-heavy to get to that next level? Is it worthwhile to add another $8M cap hit at forward (and maybe higher if he extends)? Do the Oilers have the cap room to support such a structure?

I'm scanning over the production of the bottom-6 and not really seeing the depth that you two and Holland are alluding to. My line of thinking is through how our team succeeded, which was creating an effective 3rd line (Coleman/Gourde/Goodrow) that can influence the game both in terms of scoring and possession. Can either of you elaborate on what you've been getting out of the third and fourth lines so far?

I doubt Hall gets anywhere near that with a flat cap and the couple years he just had.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
2022 2nd round pick + Bear + koskinen for Hall retained 50 percent

Even that might be too much. With no Neal going the other way I don't think even a 2nd and Bear is worth it. Plus we still need a goalie to play for a while. Kosk should go in another deal for a goaltender.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Honestly why would they want him at this point?

I'm sorry this is going to be so long but it's something I think about a lot.

Hall traded to Devils- Rampant rumors about Hall being a "locker room cancer" as he's shipped to NJ.
He talked several times about how he took the trade personally and was unhappy.

First year with the Devils- 72gp 20g 33a 53p - Not bad but not great. He had a bit of an attitude issue. So much so that Ray Shero said he had a four hour dinner with Taylor after the season and told him he had to commit and state that he wanted to be here otherwise he would have to trade him.

Second year with the Devils- 76gp 39a 54a 93p- Amazing. MVP.

Third year with the Devils- 33gp 11g 26a 37p- Goal scoring was down... but he was still contributing a an over 1ppg rate... missed half the season due to his knee injury.

Fourth year with the Devils- 30gp 6g 19a 25p- This was a mess. His contract had been a distraction since before the season started. He absolutely lost a step after his knee surgery. His goal scoring continued to disappear. The Devils were bad. No question about it.. They started 0-4-3. The fans started to boo because they blew practically every game at home from a leading position. He made comments to the media about fans booing that it was affecting him. He would say over and over again that he wanted to play with a winning team. He wanted to win. The Devils spent some money to get him some help with Gusev and Subban... remember the joke that the Devils won the offseason? Hall did not seem into it mentally at all.

Funny enough as soon as they scratched him from the lineup (he sat 2-3 games before trading him) the team immediately started playing better. Last 10 games before trading him 2-7-1. 20-13-7 after benching and trading him.

The Coyotes 10 games before acquiring him- 5-4-1. After acquiring him- 15-16-4. 10 goals in 35 games for them.
Yes, there were other reasons for the Yotes slipping a bit... they had serious goaltending injuries. It's just interesting that he didn't seem to improve them and the Devils benefitted not having him there.

The conversation became about his contract. He did the same dance as he did with the Devils. He said he was open to signing there but wanted to win. It was obvious he wasn't going to stay there.

So after all the talk about wanting to win, he signs with the Buffalo Sabres. One year. He has 2 goals in 27 games. It is obvious he isn't interested in staying in Buffalo no matter what he says. He has one more crack at free agency for a long term deal and wanted Jack Eichel to help him put up some points and get his value back up.

So my overall question to Oilers fans is, do you want him? Why? He's a distraction, he's unfortunately lost his scoring touch due to his knee injury and he's going to be an expensive player. Can he handle the Canadian media? He was really sensitive about how he left Edmonton and had comments for the media there.

All the best to him, honestly. During his MVP season, he was amazing. I bought a Hall jersey. It was one of the most fun times I've had as a Devils fan since 2003... but that just really ended on a sour note.
I know guys have to get their money while they can... but if he's really interested in winning, I think his best bet is to do something like 5 or 6x5 in Colorado, Vegas, Carolina, or Philadelphia... less pressure since he will have a contract at a reasonable price... and he will have the chance to win in that span.

No, I do not want Hall back, He is a distraction and the worst "star" in the league. I don't like seeing stuff like this reported by the media. Hall stay away please. I'd rather have Eberle back than Hall. Hall isn't a winner, he sulks and needs to be sat down every other year to perform. No Hall to EDM please. NO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad