Speculation: Hall back to EDM

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
That could be an incentive... would be awesome for him to get his scoring touch back playing with someone like Draisaitl.... How much would it cost? Will the Oilers have the cap room? They are over the cap using 4m roughly of LTIR.

I thought he should have stayed in NJ... He would have the chance to play with Hischier or Hughes who just get better and better every year. I will be the first to admit the Devils absolutely stink... but it seems like Taylor is going to spend whatever he has left of his "prime" looking for a contract.

I don't think there's enough cap space on the Oilers' end. Unless Hall basically plays for free I'm having a hard time seeing how that goes down because surely they'll want RNH and Larsson back. Like they could do it THIS year but beyond that, I'm a little skeptical. Hall is, unfortunately, gonna suffer for his performance and the best market he has might just be to re-sign with the Sabres. If looking for that contract is the priority you think it is (I happen to agree btw) staying put might be the best thing for him.

First things first though, the Sabres gotta let go of Kreuger. The team has given up. It shouldn't be THAT bad but it is.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The Oilers tried bringing him back this past offseason but didn't have enough cap space. He wants to come back to Edmonton according to Chris Johnston from Sportsnet. Maybe this summer.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
A motivated Hall can be a line driver and difference maker. Think the hope of Oiler fans is that Hall has had chemistry with RNH, Drai and McDavid in the past. He maybe one player that would be motivated and thrive in a Canadian market, but lots of maybes and a potential albatross contract for an oft injured and downward trending player.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The quote from the article:

"Ken Holland is believed to be willing to pull the trigger on many large size trades and reacquiring their former 1st overall pick is on the list of priorities. "

That sounds like a rumor to me. Burnside then speculates on what would have to happen for this to work.

I believe the full article is behind a paywall (The Athletic)

I know that is why I think this rumour is not a rumour but more speculation based upon Hollands comment and Burnsides idea

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
A motivated Hall can be a line driver and difference maker. Think the hope of Oiler fans is that Hall has had chemistry with RNH, Drai and McDavid in the past. He maybe one player that would be motivated and thrive in a Canadian market, but lots of maybes and a potential albatross contract for an oft injured and downward trending player.

That's why you only take him on an audition this year and then deliberate on who of: RNH, Hall, Larsson comes back in the summer. Perhaps RNH and Hall both take some discount (or shorter term) to finish their careers they way they dreamt it up?

Nuge McD Kassian
Hall Drai Yama

Would be a pretty stellar top six to march into the playoffs with. We'd still be missing a 3C (c'mon Turris snap out of it!), but at least it would be something.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
That's why you only take him on an audition this year and then deliberate on who of: RNH, Hall, Larsson comes back in the summer. Perhaps RNH and Hall both take some discount (or shorter term) to finish their careers they way they dreamt it up?

Nuge McD Kassian
Hall Drai Yama

Would be a pretty stellar top six to march into the playoffs with. We'd still be missing a 3C (c'mon Turris snap out of it!), but at least it would be something.

Yeah, if they can get him for cheap, he does have a NMC and can pick where he goes , hopefully Halloway and/or McCleod grab those 3/4 center spots.... and I think Yamo and RNH have chemistry, adding Hall reates lots of options, but I would rather see:
RNH McD Yamo
Hall Drai Pulj

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
If they really want to know if it'd work i think this would be kind of smart actually (assuming it's a decent trade of course). Sort of like a test drive. Fail and pass on a big contract. Otherwise who knows what they would pay him in the off-season.

I guess there's the horror scenario too that Hall plays lights out down the stretch, they pay him based on that then he randomly starts sucking after he gets a long-term deal. But that could be said for any player. I think the most important thing to know here is does Hall have any chemistry with their big guns.

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
Lol Hall's not returning a top prospect, if anything it will be a late first and B prospect. Any talk of Broberg or Bouchard is crazy talk for an upcoming UFA with 2 goals in 27 games.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I'd still pass unless the plan is to just go full scorched earth rebuild. That Neal deal is ugly, a buyout in the offseason pushes the dead cap all way out to the 24-25 season.
He has two years left after this season. My hope is we hire Gallant and he can replicate some Knights magic and can be moved at next years deadline or *gasp* we are in a run for the playoffs with his help trade him in the off-season. Getting those two would be a haul.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Lol Hall's not returning a top prospect, if anything it will be a late first and B prospect. Any talk of Broberg or Bouchard is crazy talk for an upcoming UFA with 2 goals in 27 games.
Read the OP. It assumes Buffalo takes Neal back. If that's the case Buffalo is undoubtedly asking for one of Bouchard or Broberg and probably even more.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
He has two years left after this season. My hope is we hire Gallant and he can replicate some Knights magic and can be moved at next years deadline or *gasp* we are in a run for the playoffs with his help trade him in the off-season. Getting those two would be a haul.
I like both prospects. Problem being Neal is awful we don't need another Okposo. Any hope that he'll re-find his game coming to this franchise is beyond wishful thinking. You'll be stuck with him for 2 years, no one else will take that contract on for anything reasonable.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I like both prospects. Problem being Neal is awful we don't need another Okposo. Any hope that he'll re-find his game coming to this franchise is beyond wishful thinking. You'll be stuck with him for 2 years, no one else will take that contract on for anything reasonable.
Imagine a line of Neal Eakin Okposo anchoring the team for 15 min a night under Kruger

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
As a fan of a division rival , I welcome the Oilers to bring on another defensive liability

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
Read the OP. It assumes Buffalo takes Neal back. If that's the case Buffalo is undoubtedly asking for one of Bouchard or Broberg and probably even more.
Then I guess Hall's not coming to Edmonton because we are not going to trade Bouchard or Broberg + to get rid of Neals contract and pick up an underperforming upcoming UFA (Least I hope Not).

Reactions: The Cheez and 780il

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Why wouldn’t the oilers just aim at Rakell if they were going to go for hall?

Get 2 years at a good cap hit. Ducks might actually consider taking back cap as they arnt really trying to win
Rakell would cost a lot more to acquire and ANA might not be willing to trade him within division (pacific)

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
As an impartial Canucks fan, hell yes.
Oilers could use another 1st OA to mess up, and it would open a playoff spot in the North Division .
As a Canucks fan you should be looking out for OTT for last spot instead of a playoffs spot. ;)

Reactions: 780il and TFHockey

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
They don't need any more high-end forwards, they need depth.
Pretty much the exact opposite of what Holland said a week ago. Paraphrasing but he said Oilers have plenty of depth and he’s happy with that and it’s going to make a trade it’s going to be for an impact player that can step in and not more depth.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Yeah, if they can get him for cheap, he does have a NMC and can pick where he goes , hopefully Halloway and/or McCleod grab those 3/4 center spots.... and I think Yamo and RNH have chemistry, adding Hall reates lots of options, but I would rather see:
RNH McD Yamo
Hall Drai Pulj

Ooops! How could I forget Pulju

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Just buy out Neal at the end of the year if he'd cost Bouchard or Broberg to move and only getting a UFA back.

I'd rather have 2 mil of dead cap for a few years than punt a prospect into orbit for no reason. If Hall wants to come here, he can sign as a free agent.

Reactions: Calypso

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
It has to be a dollars in/dollars out trade.

To Edm:
Hall 50% retained
Ullmark

To Buf:
Koskinen
Chaisson
Jones
2022 2nd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad