Speculation: Hall back to EDM

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I would rather let Hall walk for nothing than be forced to take back Neal in a trade so unless EDM is going to add some nice picks and prospects I don't see this happening

Reactions: is the answer jesus

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
If Buffalo agrees to take on Neal, are they just intentionally admitting they have no intentions of winning anytime soon?

That seems to be a great way to get Eichel to demand a trade.
Unfortunately, IMO Buffalo has already admitted they have no intention of winning anything soon.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
This was such an awful article and it's written with the pass he gives himself here ^^

Yeah it's pretty clickbaity. There's a little bit of thought put into the deals but it's all about big names and doesn't realistically consider the salary cap.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Then why did you give it the rumor tag?

The quote from the article:

"Ken Holland is believed to be willing to pull the trigger on many large size trades and reacquiring their former 1st overall pick is on the list of priorities. "

That sounds like a rumor to me. Burnside then speculates on what would have to happen for this to work.

Can someone post the Burnside comment and not just a site reporting he said it

I believe the full article is behind a paywall (The Athletic)

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I would rather let Hall walk for nothing than be forced to take back Neal in a trade so unless EDM is going to add some nice picks and prospects I don't see this happening

Well, at least Neal only has 2.5 years left on his deal and can be bought out relatively painlessly. Oiler fans assume that is exactly what Holland will do in the offseason.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Sabres are dumb, not this dumb. At least, I hope.

Live look at Pegula's reaction to Adams telling him he traded Hall for Neal

PmhD1km.gif

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Honestly why would they want him at this point?

I'm sorry this is going to be so long but it's something I think about a lot.

Hall traded to Devils- Rampant rumors about Hall being a "locker room cancer" as he's shipped to NJ.
He talked several times about how he took the trade personally and was unhappy.

First year with the Devils- 72gp 20g 33a 53p - Not bad but not great. He had a bit of an attitude issue. So much so that Ray Shero said he had a four hour dinner with Taylor after the season and told him he had to commit and state that he wanted to be here otherwise he would have to trade him.

Second year with the Devils- 76gp 39a 54a 93p- Amazing. MVP.

Third year with the Devils- 33gp 11g 26a 37p- Goal scoring was down... but he was still contributing a an over 1ppg rate... missed half the season due to his knee injury.

Fourth year with the Devils- 30gp 6g 19a 25p- This was a mess. His contract had been a distraction since before the season started. He absolutely lost a step after his knee surgery. His goal scoring continued to disappear. The Devils were bad. No question about it.. They started 0-4-3. The fans started to boo because they blew practically every game at home from a leading position. He made comments to the media about fans booing that it was affecting him. He would say over and over again that he wanted to play with a winning team. He wanted to win. The Devils spent some money to get him some help with Gusev and Subban... remember the joke that the Devils won the offseason? Hall did not seem into it mentally at all.

Funny enough as soon as they scratched him from the lineup (he sat 2-3 games before trading him) the team immediately started playing better. Last 10 games before trading him 2-7-1. 20-13-7 after benching and trading him.

The Coyotes 10 games before acquiring him- 5-4-1. After acquiring him- 15-16-4. 10 goals in 35 games for them.
Yes, there were other reasons for the Yotes slipping a bit... they had serious goaltending injuries. It's just interesting that he didn't seem to improve them and the Devils benefitted not having him there.

The conversation became about his contract. He did the same dance as he did with the Devils. He said he was open to signing there but wanted to win. It was obvious he wasn't going to stay there.

So after all the talk about wanting to win, he signs with the Buffalo Sabres. One year. He has 2 goals in 27 games. It is obvious he isn't interested in staying in Buffalo no matter what he says. He has one more crack at free agency for a long term deal and wanted Jack Eichel to help him put up some points and get his value back up.

So my overall question to Oilers fans is, do you want him? Why? He's a distraction, he's unfortunately lost his scoring touch due to his knee injury and he's going to be an expensive player. Can he handle the Canadian media? He was really sensitive about how he left Edmonton and had comments for the media there.

All the best to him, honestly. During his MVP season, he was amazing. I bought a Hall jersey. It was one of the most fun times I've had as a Devils fan since 2003... but that just really ended on a sour note.
I know guys have to get their money while they can... but if he's really interested in winning, I think his best bet is to do something like 5 or 6x5 in Colorado, Vegas, Carolina, or Philadelphia... less pressure since he will have a contract at a reasonable price... and he will have the chance to win in that span.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I can't imagine that Holland has any interest in moving his first 1st round pick with the Oilers, who is NHL ready next season, to add a UFA winger, even one as good as Hall has been.

Moving Neal and getting Hall <> losing Broberg, I agree. I assume that would be the ask from Buffalo. If they are willing to settle for less I'd be much happier.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Why wouldn’t the oilers just aim at Rakell if they were going to go for hall?

Get 2 years at a good cap hit. Ducks might actually consider taking back cap as they arnt really trying to win
I hope we would. Rakell isn't as dynamic as Hall, but we don't need more "dynamic". We need a trigger man for McDavid or Draisaitl's left wing. Hall isn't exactly a sniper. For all of the good Hall would bring, Rakell brings the parts we need as well, at a fraction of the cost.

Reactions: Getz2noone

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Moving Neal and getting Hall <> losing Broberg, I agree. I assume that would be the ask from Buffalo. If they are willing to settle for less I'd be much happier.
It just seems way too far fetched to me. Even as a rental, Buffalo would need to retain to make it work, and I don't know why they would do that when other teams will surely be making offers that don't include a bad contract that has 2 more years on it.

Reactions: is the answer jesus

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Yeah it's pretty clickbaity. There's a little bit of thought put into the deals but it's all about big names and doesn't realistically consider the salary cap.
If he went a different route of players ending up in destinations he wants to see (essentially ignoring value/cap) then I like it. Bu what killed me is reading his value and little understanding of cap space (I think he had it in somewhere to bury a player in the A like Rags did with Redden back in the day which is outlawed now).

Hall back to EDM in terms of media is 'fun', I'm on board with that. Rest of this is bleh.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Hall traded to Devils- Rampant rumors about Hall being a "locker room cancer" as he's shipped to NJ.

First year with the Devils- 72gp 20g 33a 53p - Not bad but not great. He had a bit of an attitude issue. So much so that Ray Shero said he had a four hour dinner with Taylor after the season and told him he had to commit and state that he wanted to be here otherwise he would have to trade him.

Third year with the Devils- 33gp 11g 26a 37p- Goal scoring was down... but he was still contributing a an over 1ppg rate... missed half the season due to his knee injury.

Fourth year with the Devils- 30gp 6g 19a 25p- This was a mess. His contract had been a distraction since before the season started. He absolutely lost a step after his knee surgery. His goal scoring continued to disappear. The Devils were bad. No question about it.. They started 0-4-3. The fans started to boo because they blew practically every game at home from a leading position. He made comments to the media about fans booing that it was affecting him. He would say over and over again that he wanted to play with a winning team. He wanted to win. The Devils spent some money to get him some help with Gusev and Subban... remember the joke that the Devils won the offseason? Hall did not seem into it mentally at all.

Funny enough as soon as they scratched him from the lineup (he sat 2-3 games before trading him) the team immediately started playing better. Last 10 games before trading him 2-7-1. 20-13-7 after benching and trading him.

The Coyotes 10 games before acquiring him- 5-4-1. After acquiring him- 15-16-4. 10 goals in 35 games for them.
Yes, there were other reasons for the Yotes slipping a bit... they had serious goaltending injuries. It's just interesting that he didn't seem to improve them and the Devils benefitted not having him there.

The conversation became about his contract. He did the same dance as he did with the Devils. He said he was open to signing there but wanted to win. It was obvious he wasn't going to stay there.

So after all the talk about wanting to win, he signs with the Buffalo Sabres. One year. He has 2 goals in 27 games. It is obvious he isn't interested in staying in Buffalo no matter what he says. He has one more crack at free agency for a long term deal and wanted Jack Eichel to help him put up some points and get his value back up.

So my overall question to Oilers fans is, do you want him? Why? He's a distraction, he's unfortunately lost his scoring touch due to his knee injury and he's going to be an expensive player. Can he handle the Canadian media? He was really sensitive about how he left Edmonton and had comments for the media there.

All the best to him, honestly. During his MVP season, he was amazing. I bought a Hall jersey. It was one of the most fun times I've had as a Devils fan since 2003... but that just really ended on a sour note.
I know guys have to get their money while they can... but if he's really interested in winning, I think his best bet is to do something like 5 or 6x5 in Colorado, Vegas, Carolina, or Philadelphia... less pressure since he will have a contract at a reasonable price... and he will have the chance to win in that span.

A thoughtful post. I enjoyed reading about your perspective. Food for thought.

Reactions: njdevil26

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Well.... the move would all but keep RNH with McDavid and Pulju for good because Hall/Draisaitl was one of the most dangerous duos I had seen in a while. Unbelievable chemistry together

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Outstanding insight. Hall has really fallen off a cliff. It's a shame really.

Reactions: njdevil26

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Well.... the move would all but keep RNH with McDavid and Pulju for good because Hall/Draisaitl was one of the most dangerous duos I had seen in a while. Unbelievable chemistry together

That could be an incentive... would be awesome for him to get his scoring touch back playing with someone like Draisaitl.... How much would it cost? Will the Oilers have the cap room? They are over the cap using 4m roughly of LTIR.

I thought he should have stayed in NJ... He would have the chance to play with Hischier or Hughes who just get better and better every year. I will be the first to admit the Devils absolutely stink... but it seems like Taylor is going to spend whatever he has left of his "prime" looking for a contract.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I hope we would. Rakell isn't as dynamic as Hall, but we don't need more "dynamic". We need a trigger man for McDavid or Draisaitl's left wing. Hall isn't exactly a sniper. For all of the good Hall would bring, Rakell brings the parts we need as well, at a fraction of the cost.
Kinda how I see it you don’t need another star player, you need a versatile player that can compliment draisitl or Mcdavid or even RNH

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Great post.

My take on Hall is that he's a human. One who is/has been:
  • highly competitive his entire life
  • did not adapt well to failure in Edmonton
  • did not know how to change his game to help win at the NHL level...
  • did make efforts (and some success) in changing his game, but it wasn't enough (not entirely his fault)
  • legit wanted to stick in Edmonton, wanted to be one-two with McD
  • started on fire with Draisaitl, but pouted when the slump started
  • got traded just when he thought the team was turning a corner
  • Oilers did (for one year) do better without him
  • He was legit heartbroken (your post sums it up well)
  • The rest is history...

On that basis he is damaged goods... but honestly one of the only things that might fix this guy is a chance to right-the-wrongs in Edmonton.

I would take him back for a reasonable deadline deal.

I would NOT sign him to a contract unless I got to seem him in Edmonton this year as a rental. If he turns it around, great, sign him. If not, he'd be a huge risk and likely a huge distraction (again)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad