Halifax Mooseheads: 2017-2018 Thread

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
I also read that this was part of a pre-negotiated plan over the holiday season? Any truth to this? Seems like a weird trade to negotiate at that point

Works for both sides- Bathurst got to keep their better players to go for it at the memorial cup, Mooseheads got Ryzcek right away, and now Bathurst get the picks in time for their rebuild, moose get their players in time for their crack at the mem cup. Everyone wins.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Works for both sides- Bathurst got to keep their better players to go for it at the memorial cup, Mooseheads got Ryzcek right away, and now Bathurst get the picks in time for their rebuild, moose get their players in time for their crack at the mem cup. Everyone wins.

Interesting trade. What did we sent to the Titans other than the 2018 1st we got from the Lepage trade?

Last edited:

SnaGG

Dec 16, 2014
RD_1, #16, 2018
RD_3, #43, 2018 (CAP)
RD_1, 2019
RD_3, 2020

As the picks moose gave up
Nice to see us hang on to a 1st RD for tomorrow , question is what do we do with it ? Think we keep it or try and flip it for someone ?

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Samuel Dube is the pick. Son of former Q player Yannick Dube. Put up huge numbers with Salzburg’s U18 team last year and some good numbers in the Czech U18 league. Apparently very offensively gifted. Was just added to eligibility about a month ago due to dual citizenship.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Some good value picks with William Dagenais and Sonny Kabatay. I think Kabatay is the kind of guy that will put up big numbers and have a successful 4 year junior career.

Last edited:

Demon Eyes

Nov 29, 2014
Some good value picks with William Dagenais and Sonny Kabatay. I think Kabatay is the kind of guy that will put up big numbers and have a successful 4 year junior career.
I hope to see some good out of Sonny, he's the son of some old friends from way back. still has some growth left in him I believe.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
Kabatay one of youngest players in draft and played on a weak team yet still one of top scorers in league. Might not see too much of him this year being young and a smaller guy, but could be a good add come 2019.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
Hopefully Dagenais turns out to be a Raphael Lavoie type late developer.

Still a lot of questions for this team. Most probably won't get answered until we near start of the season.

Imports?
Will be interesting to see who they select at draft. They'll definitely have to bring over at least one player and see how it pans out. I feel like Zadina has a better chance of returning than Somppi but it will depend on which NHL team picks him. Will likely get at least an audition which will make things even more complicated. Somppi seems like a shoo-in for the Crunch.

20 Year olds?
Maher, Ryczek, ...Somppi obviously if he somehow returns, but otherwise it'll be a battle for the last spot. I didn't mind Crossley last year and he is a good defensive asset. He might even put up 30 pts if given a larger role. Had a pretty decent shooting% on limited opportunity last year. Dachyshyn and Cooper Jones didn't end up contributing a whole lot and Barbosa seemed to be out of the lineup frequently toward the end of season.

2nd goalie?
They'll have to bring one in unless they go with Blais, McLaren or one of this years draftees which would all be very inexperienced options. Could always wait until Christmas and see which teams are selling at that point. Maybe Baribeau becomes available. We've had success in finding some diamonds in the rough the past few years like Mann-Dixon and Eric Brassard, so maybe they'll do it again.

How does this year look for guys like Cole Stewart and Gavin Hart? Will depend on how many other recruits they can bring in I guess.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Newhook played BCHL last year in order to be NCAA eligible. I doubt he changes his plan. However, I hope we are able to convince him to play with the Mooseheads but I'm not counting on it. 10% chance maybe?

I’d say less than that. He’s had his future played out for years now

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
CHL Import draft this Thursday... Mooseheads got the 46th pick right? Wondering who we take cause we need insurance if both (or just one) of Zadina and Somppi are gone next year.

Ambisextrous

Apr 17, 2012
Halifax
Yeah need someone to tell me if they're good picks or not haha.
Barinkas played with Dube so they must have gotten a good look at him when they were on the academy team together. Has some crazy stats too.

Fagemo (that name lol) is at arizona camp, havent heard much about him there.

Quote from Cam "“The plan is to have both Fagemo and Barinka at camp and in our lineup to start the year. We will have to just wait and see what happens with Filip and Otto.”

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Interesting. We have to assume that the Mooseheads already had a conversation with the Wings about Zadina. What do the Wings do if he don't make their NHL roster. Do they value another junior season where the Mooseheads will host the Memorial cup or do they want him in the AHL playing against men.

DavelPatsyuk

Feb 26, 2018
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Interesting. We have to assume that the Mooseheads already had a conversation with the Wings about Zadina. What do the Wings do if he don't make their NHL roster. Do they value another junior season where the Mooseheads will host the Memorial cup or do they want him in the AHL playing against men.

Most certainly playing in the AHL/NHL. I don't believe he has much to gain returning to juniors.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Most certainly playing in the AHL/NHL. I don't believe he has much to gain returning to juniors.

Not sure if he was on loan or not though. Seems to be confusion with this. If he wasn't on loan, He can't go to the AHL. Will be interesting to see how this unfolds. As far as returning to Junior, I agree he doesn't have much to gain based on competition. However, Halifax is hosting the Memorial Cup. There is some value in having him play in that tournament.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Even Zadina knows he’s eligible for the QMJHL, AHL or go back to Europe if he does make the NHL. It’s around 6:15 in the link

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00