Halifax Mooseheads: 2017-2018 Thread

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Went to the game yesterday, which was very annoying to watch. Mooseheads basically played like garbage for 15 minutes each period. At one point we were begin out shot something like 24-10. It was as if they would get the puck into the offensive zone and then had no idea what to do with it.

jmkrangers

Aug 28, 2012
It's always bothered me that so many people in Canada care about the NCAA March Madness basketball tournament but the average person seems to know a lot less about the (far superior) CHL Playoffs and Memorial Cup (obviously this is because of the dramatic single-elimination bracket format of March Madness and all the media attention it gets). I've always thought it would be fun though to fill out some sort of CHL playoff bracket but since I've never really found a good way to do it online, I decided to try creating my own for this year. Although it's a bit complicated and not the most user-friendly, there's step-by-step instructions on the website that should help. So if want to give it a try go to: memorialcupbracket.weebly.com

Killahpunk

Legend
Jun 29, 2009
Eastern Canada
I went to game one and it was a entertaining game. It was a little disappointing to see such a small crowd for a playoff game though. 2-0 first round playoff series lead heading to Baie-Comeau for the next 3 or less games.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
So how about that 2019 Memorial Cup?

Really hoping the team that drafts Zadina believes in letting players develop slowly.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Not over until its over, but the Moose look done. Was expecting a big push in the third tonight with the season on the line, and they were completely flat. Islanders were beating them to pucks, vigilante on the back check and more physical.

Need to add some speed and grit to the forward group for next year. Islanders were begging the Moose to dump it in on the rush by lining 4 guys on the blueline, but the Moose kept trying to weave through them, inevitably turning it over. Only play remotely resembling a scoring chance in the third was the break for Mcissac that rolled off his stick.

Hopefully they make it a series and at least give us another home game. Lots of talent and heart in the group, so i don't think they'll go down without a fight.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Disappointing to say the least. However, overall this team exceeded my expectations for the year. Even before the Memorial Cup announcement, it was clear this team was being built for a run next season.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
If he doesn't leave in two years to coach another junior team, that would be a nice bonus.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Any thoughts on Eric Veilleux as the new Head Coach?

He's going to work on improving team Defense. That will be priority #1 and the teams he has coached have a track record of being a very good defensive team. Not sure what moves the Mooseheads make in the off season but I'd try to add a stud on the back end. Not even sure Ryczek is back?

Very curious to see what moves we make for our Memorial cup year. I believe we have two 1st round picks as well.

Who am I missing?
???? / Somppi (?) / Zadina (?)
Parent / Lavoie / ????
Durandeau / Groulx / ????
???? / Bishop / Higgins

Chainey / Ryczek (?)
McIsaac / Barron
???? / Flower

Gravel
????

Maritimehky

May 9, 2018
Rumour they're making a big push for the Newhook kid. Junior A rookie of the year and projected #2 overall in the NHL draft next year. Committed to NCAA but that can change.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Joe Lamb

Mar 12, 2004
downeast
He's going to work on improving team Defense. That will be priority #1 and the teams he has coached have a track record of being a very good defensive team. Not sure what moves the Mooseheads make in the off season but I'd try to add a stud on the back end. Not even sure Ryczek is back?

Very curious to see what moves we make for our Memorial cup year. I believe we have two 1st round picks as well.

Who am I missing?
???? / Somppi (?) / Zadina (?)
Parent / Lavoie / ????
Durandeau / Groulx / ????
???? / Bishop / Higgins

Chainey / Ryczek (?)
McIsaac / Barron
???? / Flower

Gravel
????

Worse case - Somppi and Zadina are pros next year. Rare to have an overage and import tied up in one player(Somppi). If both imports are lost, draft one and trade for one ( Safin or Salda- Saint John rebuild).

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Worse case - Somppi and Zadina are pros next year. Rare to have an overage and import tied up in one player(Somppi). If both imports are lost, draft one and trade for one ( Safin or Salda- Saint John rebuild).

I rather we walk into next year with Somppi and Zadina on our roster as we need them for the Memorial Cup run. At this point, I'm 75/25 they are back. If they are both not back, we will not have a good Euro pick and we will have to use assets to get another Euro. The problem is we won't know if they are back till well after the Euro draft.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I rather we walk into next year with Somppi and Zadina on our roster as we need them for the Memorial Cup run. At this point, I'm 75/25 they are back. If they are both not back, we will not have a good Euro pick and we will have to use assets to get another Euro. The problem is we won't know if they are back till well after the Euro draft.

We're going to go in with them tied to our roster anyways. Most likely that at least one will be gone.

Since Zadina will go in the first round we will be able to use our first round import pick on someone and can carry three euro's through training camp and see if either Zadina or Somppi get sent back. If neither of them do we will be able to use the third Euro we selected and trade for someone. If either of them get sent back we just won't need to make a trade. If both get sent back we will have to allow the Euro we selected to go back home. Just need to make sure this is noted with whichever Euro we're looking at for the import draft.

The Euro we select could be very good since they could make a deal with someone to only come here or stay Europe, making other teams not pick him during the draft.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We're going to go in with them tied to our roster anyways. Most likely that at least one will be gone.

Since Zadina will go in the first round we will be able to use our first round import pick on someone and can carry three euro's through training camp and see if either Zadina or Somppi get sent back. If neither of them do we will be able to use the third Euro we selected and trade for someone. If either of them get sent back we just won't need to make a trade. If both get sent back we will have to allow the Euro we selected to go back home. Just need to make sure this is noted with whichever Euro we're looking at for the import draft.

The Euro we select could be very good since they could make a deal with someone to only come here or stay Europe, making other teams not pick him during the draft.

I understand what you are saying but it's easier said than done. There are challenges there. What impact full Euro player is willing to be on standby? Lets say you are able to find a guy that is willing to be the #3 guy temporary while we figure out who is coming back. Trading him to another team means the team you are trying to trade him to has to get rid of one Euro after the trade cause they likely already have their two guys.

Certainly options we can explore but the Mooseheads will have to get clever to work around this for sure. I think both are back. 75% sure of it :sarcasm:

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I think we need to plan for at least one of them to not be coming back. Go after a big name who wants to come here in the draft, and if both Zadina and Somppi come back, having too many good import players isn't the worst problem to have.

Also, I'm very interested to see how guys like McIsaac and Barron develop under Veilleux. I think we've really needed a coach like him that can bring in some good defensive systems.

SnaGG

Dec 16, 2014
Antoine Morand and Jordan Maher are Mooseheads as of the draft .

Interesting to see what we give up in return ...

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
hmm, Bishop and now Maher on the squad. Really trying to lure Alex Newhook in I asuume? Newhook is the best player I've seen out of Newfoundland in a LONG time. If you can get him away from BC. He was all over TSN this year for a highlight reel goal. If you can get him, he's just as much of an impact as Zadina.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
hmm, Bishop and now Maher on the squad. Really trying to lure Alex Newhook in I asuume? Newhook is the best player I've seen out of Newfoundland in a LONG time. If you can get him away from BC. He was all over TSN this year for a highlight reel goal. If you can get him, he's just as much of an impact as Zadina.

Newhook played BCHL last year in order to be NCAA eligible. I doubt he changes his plan. However, I hope we are able to convince him to play with the Mooseheads but I'm not counting on it. 10% chance maybe?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Antoine Morand and Jordan Maher are Mooseheads as of the draft .

Interesting to see what we give up in return ...

I also read that this was part of a pre-negotiated plan over the holiday season? Any truth to this? Seems like a weird trade to negotiate at that point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->