Confirmed with Link: Hainsey a Cane (2 mil/1 year)

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
There seems to be a bit lost in the shuffle here regarding Hainsey and his PP aptitude. He has taken a different role in Winnipeg than he initially had early in his career with Columbus and Atlanta, mostly for personnel reasons. Winnipeg has/had Bogosian, Byfuglien, and Enstrom on the roster all at the same time. Hainsey was at best fighting for 4th man on the PP. And unless I am mistaken, I recall them using Little on the point at times. Prior to this, he was actually a somewhat viable PP man in the NHL.

06-07: 7 goals and 16 assists on the PP
07-08: 8 goals and 15 assists on the PP
08-09: 4 goals and 14 assists on the PP

Here is the point where things changed:

09-10: 0 goals and 5 assists on the PP

And for the last three years, he has picked up 1 assist per season with the man advantage. In other words, he was pulled almost entirely from that unit. In Harrison's "breakout year" on the PP, he scored 2 goals and 3 assists there. He's not the guy we're going to be looking for in that situation.

Sekera has 2 PPG in his career. Most every other option has zero history of having success on the powerplay. If we don't need to lean on Hainsey heavy for PK duties, it's quite possible he could be a competent hand on the man advantage. He just hasn't been given the opportunity or priority to do so with Winnepeg. He seems to have fallen off the PP when Bogosian came on board.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Now someone has to get the rights to take over the publication for this upcoming season.
hetripped.png

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Glad that saga is over with. A solid band aid, that maybe turns into a longer term player later on. We need solid, not flashy. This is a good move, and we likely could still do something else if it pops up. I'm sorry Pitts got hurt, and hope his career isn't over, but if it wasn't for the injury Id just say "peace out, Joni".

Maybe these guys will have better chemistry now. Pretty balanced. Could use another righty, till murph is ready. We're definitely a by committee defense for sure now. No top pairing guys, just a bunch maybe second pair spare parts.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Glad that saga is over with. A solid band aid, that maybe turns into a longer term player later on. We need solid, not flashy. This is a good move, and we likely could still do something else if it pops up. I'm sorry Pitts got hurt, and hope his career isn't over, but if it wasn't for the injury Id just say "peace out, Joni".

Maybe these guys will have better chemistry now. Pretty balanced. Could use another righty, till murph is ready. We're definitely a by committee defense for sure now. No top pairing guys, just a bunch maybe second pair spare parts.
You'd categorize Faulk and Sekera as "second pair spare parts"? :huh:

I'm trying not to overrate either of them, but they are much more than that (especially Faulk). Sekera might be a second pairing guy, but he's obviously not a spare part. I wouldn't call Gleason (even with as much criticism as he seems to get) or Hainsey spare parts either.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

I'm trying not to overrate either of them, but they are much more than that (especially Faulk). Sekera might be a second pairing guy, but he's obviously not a spare part. I wouldn't call Gleason (even with as much criticism as he seems to get) or Hainsey spare parts either.

I read it a bit differently. No real top pairing guys so a bunch of guys that are ideally second pairing guys and/or spare parts. Which is fair IMO.

Gleason, Faulk, Sekera, Hainsey are all ideally 3/4 guys. And I'd be ok with classifying Harrison and Komi (a bit of an unknown) and even Hainsey as spare parts since they were all kind of cast offs/not wanted by former teams.

The 05/06 was kind of similar in that sense, although 05/06 probably had more balance offensively. Other than Wesley, who was ideally a 2nd pairing guy at that point in his career, they had Kaberle (who ATL didn't want), Commodore (who Calgary didn't want), Ward, Hedican, Wallin and Tverdovsky. A bunch of 2nd pairing and spare parts.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
You did, however, forget about Babchuk. Always makes me laugh to see him in the Cup celebration.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
post-11013-0-98879500-1374838159.jpeg

Hate to be one of those who was "right" about Pitkanen's injury but all things considered, a solid replacement.

This might be a D group that lacks "offensive skills" but most of them are good skaters and can move the puck with a pass, if not their feet.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
You did, however, forget about Babchuk. Always makes me laugh to see him in the Cup celebration.

I didn't forget him, I was only referencing the core defensive players from that season, not the fringe players. Heck, Andrew Hutchinson played more games for the Canes than Babchuk did that season. :laugh:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Boom boom has me right. All probably second pair players (some at best, some maybe at worst) who hopefully are greater together than the sum of their parts.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Last edited:

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I think we put too much stock in the individual skills of defensemen. The bottom line is that hockey is a team sport, and the team plays as a five-player unit, all with the same goal. Sometimes, guys with more of certain skills work best when partnered with guys with opposite skill sets, sometimes, they work best with their mirror image. Nobody really knows how or why. Chemistry either happens or it doesn't. We really won't know until they play for a while.

Even the word "balanced" is inappropriate, IMO. We've got a bunch of good hockey players. Let's see how they play as a group.

And I may be the only one, but from a "hockey team" point of view and not a "hockey skills" point of view, I think Hainsey is an upgrade from Pitkanen.

Holy god, I agree with all of this. (Looks around, sky is not falling...)

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
So we are pretty much 1m from the cap.

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,563,333; BONUSES: $1,310,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,046,667

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
So we are pretty much 1m from the cap.

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,563,333; BONUSES: $1,310,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,046,667

wow really? i don't generally pay much attention to the dollars and cents and rely on just reading about it. appreciate the post but i thought there was still a bit more in the bank than that.:dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad