Confirmed with Link: Hags re-signed 4 years @ $2.75m

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
It's too much, but then again, he's a key piece on the PK. I guess they didn't like alternative options enough and decided to keep him, even if he'll be slightly overpaid.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
OMG do I love this deal. Only issue is if he stays healthy.

Everyone thought 3.5 to 4 per. GMBM is a beast!!

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Too much money? He’s a proven playoff performer who in his one down season demonstrated the ability to turn it around with the right squad. No doubt in my mind that he gets probably 3.5 on the open market.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Jay Beagle only got an extra $250k per. I'll take Hagelin but they're both fourth-liners IMO at the end of the day. It was a necessary signing for the PK. It's dealable if need be but I don't like the idea of locking him onto a scoring-line for the foreseeable future (or that it's a good idea to force him higher in the lineup because of "energy").

Best-case he establishes solid chemistry with Eller on the third line and they manage to find a quality finisher at RW. They'll be invested in making him work on a scoring-line but I don't know. He's a shutdown guy and energy forechecker mostly and not much else. He gives them more balance but we'll see how they manage to sort out the rest.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
You felt he was sub par this year?

Did you just stat line watch or actually watch the games. He was alway dangerous and his speed was a huge asset against a team twice as fast.

In the playoffs? Absolutely. We needed more from him. The depth scoring vanished in the playoffs, and he was a big part of that.

Hagelin was fast, sure, but he did little in terms of actually creating chances or winning puck battles. He's the type of guy who gets in on the forecheck, but doesn't force as many turnovers as you'd like. He's constantly leaning on his check along the boards, but isn't actually coming out of the corners with the puck. There's no question that the compete level is there, but I want to see him produce more results from that compete level than he does currently. Three years ago he produced those results, but his play is trending downwards, and he wasn't worth his last contract by the end of it (resulting in his two trades in one season).

This is a lot of money and a lot of term for a guy who's going to spend most of this contract on the 4th line.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
The money is fine, at worst he could be a slightly overpaid PK/Defensive 4th liner. My only worry is with the term. 4 years is long for a bottom line guy in my opinion. Then again he's only 30, I feel like he's been around so long there's no way the dude wasn't like 32 or 33 already.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I guess the shows how much we missed someone in the Beagle mold. Hags maybe the better over all player then beagle but beagle was also an ace at faceoffs. We still don't have anyone to take the big d zone draws

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
The money is fine, at worst he could be a slightly overpaid PK/Defensive 4th liner. My only worry is with the term. 4 years is long for a bottom line guy in my opinion. Then again he's only 30, I feel like he's been around so long there's no way the dude wasn't like 32 or 33 already.
He won't be hard to trade. Everyone is looking for that type of player for a post season run and 2.75 isn't a hard cap hit to move off from

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad