Confirmed with Link: Hags re-signed 4 years @ $2.75m

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
As Tex noted above, McLellan has demonstrated that he's not worried about excess term. He makes movable deals and unloads expensive guys (see Orpik 2018, Niskanen, etc.) when he feels it's necessary. So I view this as 2 x $2.75 with the option to keep him if he's really performing. At that price, especially with no NTC, for the next 2 years, it's pretty good value, IMO.

I do agree on the promotions though. Hopefully, BMac is focused on filling out what's left to make that less necessary.

No argument here. That's why I kind of shrug my shoulders at this signing. At least I know that BMac is not going to hold on to this contract to his final breath.

I just never want to see Hagelin on the same ice as Kuznetsov/Ovechkin/Backstrom etc. ever again. I'm not even comfortable with him going out there with Eller. 4th line regular strength, 1st unit PK but I don't think that's how he'll be deployed.

He'll be on the third line, getting on my nerves ever so slightly. Filling in for when Oshie is out with a concussion and doing so in an entirely ineffective way. Still, a huge boost to the PK.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The two years you don't like are two years MacLellan has proven he doesn't care about. He is building a roster to win a cup this year. One that will fit under the cap. To fit Hagelin under the cap he had to give him 4 years. If after 2 years he thinks, he needs to move the contract for cap management, he will. As he has done.

Don't look at the 4 years. Look at this season.

BTW...When looking at Holtby, this is a guide. MacLellan doesn't care how long that contract is. He cares about the cap hit and whether it fits.

I get that but if it’s just those two years he cares about he should be doing something bigger than Gudas and Hagelin. Maybe he has other moves in mind and these are just the precursors, or maybe he thinks last year’s team is good enough and just needs another bite at the apple.

My biggest concern with the team right now is depth scoring. It’s essentially guaranteed at this point that Burakovsky and/or Connolly are gone and both provide better depth scoring than Hagelin.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
How much cap space do we have left now? I think we can keep Bura in Arbitration or trade him for a replacement

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
If Vrana gets $4-5M they can spend $3-4M above minimum salaries to fill out the team, so if Vrana has a $4M AAV they can sign one guy for around $4.6M and no one else above 650k with a 22 man roster.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
assuming no one else moves out.
Next most logical salary to move is Holtby and that’s not super likely. Anybody else besides Gudas it opens a big hole where youd have to replace a guy with a better player with a great contract, and Gudas or Holtby would arguably open holes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jags

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
No argument here. That's why I kind of shrug my shoulders at this signing. At least I know that BMac is not going to hold on to this contract to his final breath.

I just never want to see Hagelin on the same ice as Kuznetsov/Ovechkin/Backstrom etc. ever again. I'm not even comfortable with him going out there with Eller. 4th line regular strength, 1st unit PK but I don't think that's how he'll be deployed.

He'll be on the third line, getting on my nerves ever so slightly. Filling in for when Oshie is out with a concussion and doing so in an entirely ineffective way. Still, a huge boost to the PK.

This was hilarious, and also my perception of how things are going to go. And as AlexBrovechkin8 stated, does nothing to improve depth scoring, which is why I've been adamant about keeping 65 over Hags, just based on his potential, which I know is a minority belief. I just don't think Hagelin moves the needle and I'm not a fan of him almost getting 3M when every dollar counts.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
This was hilarious, and also my perception of how things are going to go. And as AlexBrovechkin8 stated, does nothing to improve depth scoring, which is why I've been adamant about keeping 65 over Hags, just based on his potential, which I know is a minority belief. I just don't think Hagelin moves the needle and I'm not a fan of him almost getting 3M when every dollar counts.

Bura brings nothing for the majority of games, Hagelin brings something every game he plays in. There is no "there" there with Burakovsky.

Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 6.42.13 PM.png

I will bet some amount of money that Hagelin can and will get 25 points if he plays 76 games next season and won't cost 3.5 million per.

Reactions: Heath

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
At some point you need your drafted depth to do what Hagelin does so you can spend valuable cap dollars else where.

This has been a big hole in their drafting and development lately. They don't seem to be able to get effective bottom 6ers out of rounds 2+.

They do pretty well with their firsts, but you're right that they would be much better off if they could get ELC guys to pick up this kind of assignment.

Maybe Boyd will get there, but he was a 2011 pick. So not even a product of the current administration.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Lets not forget, hags had 3 goals and 8 assists in 20 games as a cap. Thats a 12 goal 32 assist 44 point pace

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My biggest concern with the team right now is depth scoring. It’s essentially guaranteed at this point that Burakovsky and/or Connolly are gone and both provide better depth scoring than Hagelin.

Boy, I don't think that scoring depth is the priority for MacLellan. Its goals against. He is reconstructing the defense corp and the penalty killing program with the possibility that he loses his starting goaltender after this season.

Depth scoring is of no value when you cant keep the puck out of your net.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I think it's a good deal in itself -- Hagelin's motor, PK contribution, and ability to tilt the ice in a fair share of games seem to be worth the 2.75M, even though his playoff performance was a bit alarming. As far as the term, it doesn't bother me -- I don't see any issue moving that contract, if need be.

The more tricky question is whether it's the right move to keep him over somebody else. Right now, I'm not sure. Maybe Connolly was gone regardless, but now they have 10.7M left to pay Vrana, Bura, Djoos, and at least two more forwards? (Or is it 1M less because of the bonus thing?). If the Caps end up with zero scoring punch in the bottom six because of the Hagelin deal, that would not be a good outcome, IMO.

Reactions: Jags

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think it's a good deal in itself -- Hagelin's motor, PK contribution, and ability to tilt the ice in a fair share of games seem to be worth the 2.75M, even though his playoff performance was a bit alarming. As far as the term, it doesn't bother me -- I don't see any issue moving that contract, if need be.

The more tricky question is whether it's the right move to keep him over somebody else. Right now, I'm not sure. Maybe Connolly was gone regardless, but now they have 10.7M left to pay Vrana, Bura, Djoos, and at least two more forwards? (Or is it 1M less because of the bonus thing?). If the Caps end up with zero scoring punch in the bottom six because of the Hagelin deal, that would not be a good outcome, IMO.

Connolly wants a spot on a pp1 someplace. He's gone. Burt is gone.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Boy, I don't think that scoring depth is the priority for MacLellan. Its goals against. He is reconstructing the defense corp and the penalty killing program with the possibility that he loses his starting goaltender after this season.

Depth scoring is of no value when you cant keep the puck out of your net.

If there's one thing I'd bet on, as far as BMac, is that his view of team construction is a lot more nuanced than yours and the one you're trying to attribute to him as if you're his trusted confidant, lol.

Reactions: Langway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad