Proposal: Habs package for speeding up the rebuild

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
If I’m was montreal I would start adding depth through free agency to add to all the prospects. Don’t trade away anything of high value.

Reactions: Guillermo

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You might wanna look at points per 60. And im not even asking you to compare linemates if we wanna compare apples to apples of course.
All that counts is total points. Slaf has earned his spot on the top line and has made Suzuki / CC better players as a result. Suzuki is producing at top-5 pace since the new year, thanks to Slaf.

You have to dig deep to find a metric that favors Laf! LOL

No one cares about EV points per 60. Slaf may finish with 50 points this season.

If I’m was montreal I would start adding depth through free agency to add to all the prospects. Don’t trade away anything of high value.
That's a tough one. Depends on the age of the player. I don't see it happening. Maybe a 4th liner.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
All that counts is total points. Slaf has earned his spot on the top line and has made Suzuki / CC better players as a result. Suzuki is producing at top-5 pace since the new year, thanks to Slaf.

No one cares about EV points per 60. Slaf may finish with 50 points this season.

That's a tough one. Depends on the age of the player. I don't see it happening. Maybe a 4th liner.

Guentzel
Duclair
Roslovic
Wennberg

All young and would change the entire team.

Just a thought

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022

Its not really digging deep, its just a matter of using common sense.

If one player plays 82 games a year and another played 61, if said player that played 82 games had 2 more points would you say that player is better? Pair that with the fact that player playing 82 is also playing with 1st liners.

Of course that would be very dumb. But anyway, thats what youre attempting to do here

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Its not really digging deep, its just a matter of using common sense.

If one player plays 82 games a year and another played 61, if said player that played 82 games had 2 more points would you say that player is better? Pair that with the fact that player playing 82 is also playing with 1st liners.

Of course that would be very dumb. But anyway, thats what youre attempting to do here
Yup. Its lost on them. Hope Slaf develops but his 5v5 play needs work, much like Laf in his D+2. Only difference is Slaf gets quality PP time.

Reactions: LaffyTaffy13

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Yup. Its lost on them. Hope Slaf develops but his 5v5 play needs work, much like Laf in his D+2. Only difference is Slaf gets quality PP time.
Granted laff’s in year 4 but anyone who watched that game last night could not have walked away thinking anything other than laff is just a totally different level of talent today. Slaf may get there but theres a big difference between the two today

Reactions: bernmeister

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Granted laff’s in year 4 but anyone who watched that game last night could not have walked away thinking anything other than laff is just a totally different level of talent today. Slaf may get there but theres a big difference between the two today
You judge by one game? Slaf is not playing with Panarin. In many games he was the play driver of MTLs first line. Laff was nowhere near that level in his D+2 season. I would say they are at the same level, just Slaf is 2,5y younger.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
You judge by one game? Slaf is not playing with Panarin. In many games he was the play driver of MTLs first line. Laff was nowhere near that level in his D+2 season. I would say they are at the same level, just Slaf is 2,5y younger.
They are close indeed if you are comparing D+2 seasons. Remains to be seen if Slaf gets to Laf's current level.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
They are close indeed if you are comparing D+2 seasons. Remains to be seen if Slaf gets to Laf's current level.
You just highlight one stat and that is 5on5 while Laf plays with Panarin in those situations. Since December, Slaf is trending in much better numbers. If you want to check full season anyway, look at hits or blocks as well. It will show you, Slaf is at least the same level already.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Slaf: 31 EV points and counting.
Laf: 29 EV points (in D+2)

Slaf with more EV points than Laf and blowing his D+2 season out of the water in total points.

So...they are not comparable. At all.

Glad to see Laf find his game this sesaon playing with a super star in Panarin!
yeah bold is true and its nice bread got his head outta his ass finally shooting/passing in proper measure instead of trying to force plays

that said, your comment is wrong to the extent it is dismissive of LaF
he is a full participant, not merely 111% of the time passenger on that line

FACT is, per bern, once his skating got sufficiently good enuf allowing rest of his game to blossom-- which at last it is now, he would be 'next Steve Vickers' and we are seeing that now

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Slaf has physical tools which can theoretically, POTENTIALLY close the gap, at least somewhat, but right now, thanks to both increased experience/maturity and greater talent, LaF is better player AINEC

Let's remember this guy was hyped as "the best non generational 1OA since MacKinnon"

Reactions: LaffyTaffy13

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Slaf has physical tools which can theoretically, POTENTIALLY close the gap, at least somewhat, but right now, thanks to both increased experience/maturity and greater talent, LaF is better player AINEC

Let's remember this guy was hyped as "the best non generational 1OA since MacKinnon"

one of many dumb use of AINEC lol, gotta love that expression

Reactions: malcb33

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Love Suzuki. He’s not a high end 1C though. He’s a perfect 2C. I don’t think they currently have a 1D either. And certainly they need an experienced #1 goalie to carry the load while the younger guys dual it out to be the guy after Markstrom.

He's a solid 1C now, you're talking like a someone who froze in time 1 or 2 year ago

Reactions: malcb33

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Its great that Slafkovsky is close to Laf in his 2nd season

Laf is better then Slafkovsky at the moment though.

Could Slaf overtake Laf in the future? yes
Could Laf have found his next gear a little late and continue to be better then Slaf? yes.

now spit in your palms and shake hands.:nod:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Its great that Slafkovsky is close to Laf in his 2nd season

Laf is better then Slafkovsky at the moment though.

Could Slaf overtake Laf in the future? yes
Could Laf have found his next gear a little late and continue to be better then Slaf? yes.

now spit in your palms and shake hands.:nod:
Is Slaf better than Laf comparing D+2 seasons? Yes. Obviously. AINEC!

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
This thread title gives me PTSD for all the trades Benning made to “speed up the rebuild”. Is it ever worth it?

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
cool experiment but it doesn't mean much to in the here and now.
Especially on a level as small as this.

If you looked at the progression of all players with similar D+2 seasons to current Slaf, sure, it would be a good indicator of how slaf could be expected to progress. But 1 guy isn't particularly meaningful.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
1) give me a break, you know who slafs linemates are, and theyre not exactly plugs. Suzuki and caufield LOL.

2) richhhh of the habs fans to say, “I dont care that laff played 13 mins a night on a checking line in D+2, slaf has 2 more even strength points playing 17 mins a night on the 1st line”

Laff is on a different planet than slaf at the moment and thats not an opinion, just a fact

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
1) give me a break, you know who slafs linemates are, and theyre not exactly plugs. Suzuki and caufield LOL.

2) richhhh of the habs fans to say, “I dont care that laff played 13 mins a night on a checking line in D+2, slaf has 2 more even strength points playing 17 mins a night on the 1st line”

Laff is on a different planet than slaf at the moment and thats not an opinion, just a fact
Laf is on the Panarin planet. Thats not a opinion, just a fact

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
This thread title gives me PTSD for all the trades Benning made to “speed up the rebuild”. Is it ever worth it?
Yes.

Slaf only started to play on the first line around mid December. He’s since been pacing at:

• 14 points in his last 13 games (88 point pace)
• 28 points in his last 31 games (74 point pace)
• 33 points in his last 41 games (66 point pace)
• 43 points in his last 61 games (58 point pace)

Anyway, Slaf and Laf are two different players. I wish Hughes made a play for Laf when he was still available last year. He’s now in untouchable territory. I remember how good he was the last time he was at the Bell center in January. He didn’t have any points but was very noticeable and dangerous every time he was on the ice.

Reactions: Egresch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad