Habs fans reaction in case of Nordiques return.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I hated the Nordiques with a passion, right after the Bruins, while growing up.

Thus, I'll be glad if they come back as I'd like to have a team to root against. For me, the Leafs don't really do it. I know Leaf fans hate us, but I never thought of them as competition... not on the level of the Nordiques and the Bruins.

From a quality standpoint, this forces both teams to work harder at being not just fan friendly but to put together a better product. I think this would be very good, but no, I will not root for those guys.

MaxLacoste

Jun 26, 2012
Montreal
I will hate the Nordiques. Habs 4 life.

But I have a wierd feeling about this. Bettman is playing with Quebec. He makes the city pay millions to stay in the race but they have no specific agenda on expension. I fear that Bettman knows they will pay those "taxes" without a word and then pulls it off for bullsheet reasons.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Eehh.... Since when do the NHL responds to what basically amounts to gossip coming from George Laraque (of all people) ?

On one hand, I want the Nords back, because rivalries are good in a sport that's becoming more and more boring.

On the other hand, I don't want the Nords confirmed as not being back in the short or middle term, just so I can witness the ****show that would ensue.

AlphaCentauri

Oct 11, 2015
Montreal
Love the two teams. A good competition that would force both teams to do better. Maybe we would get more french Canadians players. Quebec will get McCarron from Montreal in the expansion draft !!! :laugh:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Love the two teams. A good competition that would force both teams to do better. Maybe we would get more french Canadians players. Quebec will get McCarron from Montreal in the expansion draft !!! :laugh:

Honestly, maybe the rivalry could mean more elite juniors Québecois -- both English and French (and NHL hopefuls/NHL regulars/NHL stars) though.

Bobs your uncle

Sep 18, 2003
Canada
The righteous Habs fans.

ren%C3%A9_l%C3%A9vesque_cigarette.jpg

SYFM
#Free Whisky7

One of the best comb overs of all time.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Marc Crawford's french was pretty good, all things considered. He got points for trying, at least.

I think Quebec City may be more forgiving of an Anglo coach, at least at the start since they can argue Montreal has the monopoly there.

As an allophone growing up in Montreal, I really could care less about the makeup of both teams should this come to fruition. I want to see the BEST teams, regardless of where they are from. That said, I'd like to see better players developed from the juniors there and instead of 1 Dubois or Gauthier, I wasn't to see like 4-5. Even if they don't end up with a Quebec team, more talent in the league should be the goal.

shack23

Oct 21, 2009
Nova Scotia

See ?? right there !! That is why the Province of Quebec will NEVER see another Stanley Cup... you need to concentrate on building hockey teams, not political parties.

shack23

Oct 21, 2009
Nova Scotia
I would love it.

I think the NHL will move Tampa/Florida in the Metro and add Quebec/Hamilton in the Atlantic.

Bettman will never move Tampa or any other established team into Quebec. His plan is to expand, build the team to contender status, and then move them south of the border.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
See ?? right there !! That is why the Province of Quebec will NEVER see another Stanley Cup... you need to concentrate on building hockey teams, not political parties.

The province of Quebec will get a cup before the Provinces of Nova Scotia and Ontario.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
I am from Québec, so I will be happy. I have friends who will instantly switch from the Habs to the Nords, but I will most likely cheer for both teams. I do not drop a team randomly, something would have to piss me off to no end.

When I was a kid I hated the Habs and I rooted for the Nords, then the team moved and I became a Ducks fan as Paul Kariya was my favorite player in the league. When he left the team, I moved on, undecided for a year, before finally choosing the Habs as my team. This was when Ribeiro, Dagenais, Ryder and co were leading the team. Good times.

As for the language issue, I also have many friends who believe the Habs will never win a cup again until they draft more Québécois, but I personally think that is a pipe dream. The only way the belonging sentiment could have an impact is if more than half the team was from the province of Quebec, but I doubt that will ever happen as there are just not enough NHL players from here nowdays. I think at this point it is better to just forget about the québécois element and just focus on getting hard-working players with elite talent on the first two lines. We already have a top notch goaltender and a first defenseman. We need ****ing offense!

Last edited:

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
The only benefit to the Habs in admitting Quebec is that it would shorten travel time for a very few road games. It wouldn't increase attendance at the Bell Centre. I'd rather see the West conference add two teams to bring the complement to 16, same as the East.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
When I was a kid, the hipsters at my school used to root for the Nordiques, the same way people like Batman. I'd gladly take them back, although I'd root for the LV Vice before I root for a team like the Senators catoring civil servants who voted no at the referendum to keep their jobs out of greed and weakness of faith. As we say : Les loups de Montréal et les moutons de Québec.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The only benefit to the Habs in admitting Quebec is that it would shorten travel time for a very few road games. It wouldn't increase attendance at the Bell Centre. I'd rather see the West conference add two teams to bring the complement to 16, same as the East.

No benefit to Habs if Nords return. Instantly lose a portion of their fan base, bring a small market club into the league, create a rival who over-inspire to play against us.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Bettman confirming that DET, CBS remains in the East probably confirms that Québec will get a team thru relocation. Or play in the West (with the terrible expenses that comes with this).

I Wonder if the Habs get any sort of compensation for a team getting to establish into its "zone".

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Personally would love to see the Nords back. Always loved their uniform as well. Would also love to see another Toronto team...may actually root for a home town team then ;) Another Toronto team would never happen (1) Leafs will assassinate anyone who tries and (2) can't see Bettman trying to make Canadian hockey even more powerful ($$$ wise).

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Personally would love to see the Nords back. Always loved their uniform as well. Would also love to see another Toronto team...may actually root for a home town team then ;) Another Toronto team would never happen (1) Leafs will assassinate anyone who tries and (2) can't see Bettman trying to make Canadian hockey even more powerful ($$$ wise).

I do think there's a serious correlation between the absolutely ridiculous expansion franchise fees and the fact it was obvious a Canadian Franchise would apply.

500M is about what Geoff Molson paid for the Habs + Evenko + Bell Center. And Habs goodwill/intangible value is much, much higher than the Nords would ever be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad