Habs fans reaction in case of Nordiques return.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
\
224.jpg

I like the WHA unis quite a bit. You could do a lot modernizing these.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Québecor looking for partners

Is it just me or that's like putting a deposit on a Tesla hoping that your dad will pay a good chunk of it but you get to drive the car?

No, it is a way to avoid taking a huge loan. Instead of borrowing money, you sell shares.

As a sport team's biggest return in investment is the value growth of the franchise, you buy a share of the team so you can sell it later. It is "money in the bank" as long as the team doesn't bleed red ink each year (small profit or small losses every year is fine) and you have to put in more money.

So, for example, Company X buys 5% of the franchise, they pay 25M$ today and if the franchise value jumps from 500M$ to 600M$, your share is now worth 30M$. 5M$ profit. For Quebecor, it is 25M$ less that they have to borrow.

For Quebecor, the big money is in the synergies (TV, magazines, internet, etc), not in hockey-related revenues. So, let's say the keep 60% and sell 40% to various minority owners, this is 200M$ they don't have to borrow and they STILL have all the content they need for TV, internet, magazines, etc. Less debt on the franchise, WAYYYYYYYYY easier to make it work/lose less money/operate at a profit/the more you can spend at the beginning.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Some team would have to be shifted to the West conference to make room for a Quebec team. How would you feel if it were your team. No. it wouldn't be the Habs, but there'd be another victim. It'd be music to my ears to hear the screams of Bruins fans if it were Boston, but that wouldn't happen either. My guess would be Columbus.

Actually, I'd rather see a new franchise out west in Las Vegas, Seattle, or San Diego.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Some team would have to be shifted to the West conference to make room for a Quebec team. How would you feel if it were your team. No. it wouldn't be the Habs, but there'd be another victim. It'd be music to my ears to hear the screams of Bruins fans if it were Boston, but that wouldn't happen either. My guess would be Columbus.

Actually, I'd rather see a new franchise out west in Las Vegas, Seattle, or San Diego.

Las Vegas sounds like a done deal. Seattle won't get a team via expansion anytime soon, but there's enough moving parts there that it can become a prime relocation destination down the road. It's a matter of time for them. San Diego? I haven't heard that city linked to the NHL, and I can't see it working there. Then again, some markets surprise you. Look at San jose's success.

Portland is a western city that has been linked with interest before. How real that interest was, I don't know. But they were linked before with Paul Allen's deep pockets.

I'm not convinced that Portland will pay big league prices for hockey, but what I do know is that they have run their junior franchise pretty well, the NBA blazers pack their building, as do the mls timbers who are also known for a rockous atmosphere.

While I have my doubts about the market of Portland when it comes to hockey, I can't say that they have failed any other major sporting test.

Last edited:

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
I would love to see em back! We can talk about rivalry even if most of the kids who will be on the habs squad in 2017 didnt even see any Habs-Nordiques games cause they were too young! :)

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
PKP is having visions of a fleet of F14's pimped out in the Quebec colors doing flybys over HIS arena.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
I would be happy for Quebec City to welcome a team. They should have one.

As a Habs fan, I won't care much about Quebec's team. No more than I care about Boston's, Toronto's, or any other team against which Habs are fighting for the cup or a playoffs spot.

What I do know will happen and will have me hating them, is the irrational hate against Montreal that their fans and reporters will convey. It has always be like that, and it will always be. It's almost funny how puerile it is.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
You must have not been around to see the rivalry between the teams. They absolutely despised each other.

DunkenDogNuts

Jul 27, 2015
Bring it on. Habs are gonna butcher the Nordiques so bad they'll fold again and move to Seattle. Then I'll have another team nearby where I can go catch a Habs game. Win-win

IceHockeyfan

Feb 18, 2012
Oh man, Detroit, and especially Buffalo, would give the proverbial middle finger to that realignment...

Agreed. That division should be evenly split between eastern and midwest time zones to keep Detroit and Buffalo happy. I would throw in a few more eastern time zones in that division. Toronto, Pittsburgh and Colombus should be in that division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad