Habs fans reaction in case of Nordiques return.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
I know there's this huge expansion process and I don't want to go into the possibility or plausibility of the Nordiques coming back.

But let's say they do.

What would be the reaction of the hans fanbase? Surely maybe some would migrate to the new team. I don't know how many ex-Nords are now habs fans here, but I assume these people exist and would go back to the flock.

Would you root for both teams? Or hate them viscerally even before they first meet?

For me, and grew up in Quebec and my father was a Nords fan (back then I didn't really cared about hockey), so I must say I have mixed feelings. One one side I love the habs, on the other, I couldn't see myself raining on the parade of a Nordiques comeback story.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'll be happy, as a hockey fan, when'll they'll get back.

And I'll SURE pick on them for having no more Québecois than the Habs do.

Capitaine Subban*

I'd be glad for them then I would place them right after the Broons as hated rivals.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Sakic was my favorite player. They had such a talented team when they moved to Colorado. Had they stayed in town, it would have been terrible for Mtl. Colorado had an all-star team during the terrible years of Mtl.

If they came back as an expansion team, they'd probably be rather irrelevant for a few years but I'm sure the rivalry would quickly spark up.

I'd stick to the Habs. It would be fun to watch another local team play on TV though.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
I would LOVE to have the Nordiques back, especially if they revived the old logo / uniform. Classic team, classic rivalry, and another domino down on the path towards the return of the Whalers!!

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I would love it.

I think the NHL will move Tampa/Florida in the Metro and add Quebec/Hamilton in the Atlantic.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Sakic was my favorite player. They had such a talented team when they moved to Colorado. Had they stayed in town, it would have been terrible for Mtl. Colorado had an all-star team during the terrible years of Mtl.
But also, the habs would have never trade Roy to the Nords.
If they came back as an expansion team, they'd probably be rather irrelevant for a few years but I'm sure the rivalry would quickly spark up.

I'd stick to the Habs. It would be fun to watch another local team play on TV though.

I read a journalist hypothesizing that since expansion is so costly, expansion team would want to have better opportunity to become as good as possible. This may mean looser roster protection rules.

But yeah, rivalry would't take much.

HABNIKO

Jun 29, 2015
Montreal
The Quebec Nerdiques or could be The Quebec Bloc's and Patrick Roy as their 1st choice of french coaches. Now that would be the best rivalry.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
But also, the habs would have never trade Roy to the Nords.
Nothing would surprise me from Houle.
I read a journalist hypothesizing that since expansion is so costly, expansion team would want to have better opportunity to become as good as possible. This may mean looser roster protection rules.

But yeah, rivalry would take much.

Not sure how it all goes down, but pretty sure owners wouldn't approve of looser roster protection. Maybe they would but with some form of compensation in return.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The coach will absolutely need to speak French regardless of the owner.

That really doesn't make any sense. It all starts with the owner, if speaking french is the furthest thing from being a priority then no, I don't see why the coach would absolutely need to speak french.
They may not even get any backlash from it because they would just be thrilled to have a hockey team again, which means money for the city, so going nuts about how the coach or GM doesn't speak french might actually not even happen.

HABNIKO

Jun 29, 2015
Montreal
That all depends on who their owner would be. PKP? Yes, absolutely.

Maybe Pauline Marois who squeezed a fortune out of Quebec and has the right connections to furnish the Pepsi collosium with state of the art stealth toilets.

icerocket

Jan 4, 2008
Atlantis
That really doesn't make any sense. It all starts with the owner, if speaking french is the furthest thing from being a priority then no, I don't see why the coach would absolutely need to speak french.

Are you being serious right now? You honestly think an anglophone coach who can't speak in French would be hired in la vieille capitale?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Seriously though it would be great to have them back. Some of my greatest hockey memories involve us vs them. The Stastny's were a thing of beauty, especially Peter, Goulet was no slouch either. They had a great rivalry and it would be great to get to do it all over again.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'll be an ecstatic hockey fan if they return. Until the team pisses me off (if they do), I'll be rooting for them. The old Nords jerseys are gorgeous.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
I'd be happy to see them back too. Always liked the team during my childhood. I have a Nordiques jersey in my closet, as does the Mrs..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad