Speculation: Guys, What are we going to do with Kadri now?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Management will likely be assessing his value in the offseason and see what's up. Selling low on Kadri is the only thing you can be sure of which management will not do. The impending cap crunch will require having good contracts on the team, so management likely won't settle for a sub-par return.

Reactions: PemIceKing

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
With 2 D leaving this offseason and Muzzin with a year to go... maybe just maybe they need to be thinking about the back end instead of the C depth.

And IF C depth is the thing they want to go with.... they need a dependable C to actually be in the line up to create that depth.

Leafs have played 14 playoff games in the last 2 years. Kadri has played 6.

Gone.

Not gonna happen. I agree they need depth on D but it won’t be at Kadri’s expense unless it’s for a Hamilton or Pesche type return. Gardiner has to go though most definitely. I think Sandin can replace Gardiner.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Not gonna happen. I agree they need depth on D but it won’t be at Kadri’s expense unless it’s for a Hamilton or Pesche type return. Gardiner has to go though most definitely. I think Sandin can replace Gardiner.

Need cap space my friend.

It’s happening.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
There were questions surrounding Kadri’s fit just before the Carlyle-Kessel Leafs were dismantled. Kadri’s name was among those occasioned for trade. He was selected in no small part by Shanahan to remain with the club in the belief that his talent was a true reflection of his ability to change for the better. Kadri rewarded their faith and became a better player.

I believe Kadri will improve again. And as mentioned, I want to see what our club can do in the playoffs with that center depth.

We don’t have options within the organization to replace Kadri. There aren’t a lot of centers like him at his price in the league. Those that closely resemble his skill, price and grit aren’t going to come cheaply, if at all.

You've left a couple things out of your narrative here. It's important to mention the team-imposed suspension, a litany of dirty hits resulting in suspensions, followed by 2 playoff suspensions. I just think that Dubas isn't stupid. I think he really does want to move Kadri and keep his job.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Management will likely be assessing his value in the offseason and see what's up. Selling low on Kadri is the only thing you can be sure of which management will not do. The impending cap crunch will require having good contracts on the team, so management likely won't settle for a sub-par return.

It's possible they were planning on moving Kadri all along. 4.5 million for a 3rd line C isn't exactly amazing.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It's possible they were planning on moving Kadri all along. 4.5 million for a 3rd line C isn't exactly amazing.
If they were looking at maximizing Kadri's value, last offseason woulda been the time to do it seeing as being 3C wouldn't have done anything good for his value.

There's always possibilities like trying him at top-6 LW too.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
What are they doing with Kadri?

Probably nothing.

Dubas isn't an idiot - he knows his best chance of winning a cup here, is by having strength down the middle of the ice. It's the way many teams have won cups recently.

Ultimately, emotions will dissipate and common sense will prevail; we are better off with Kadri and his sweet contract.

I also don't think it's lost on the team how he sticks up for his teammates either - it's something that has to be considered, especially given how few people on this team are capable of it.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
What are they doing with Kadri?

Probably nothing.

Dubas isn't an idiot - he knows his best chance of winning a cup here, is by having strength down the middle of the ice. It's the way many teams have won cups recently.

Ultimately, emotions will dissipate and common sense will prevail; we are better off with Kadri and his sweet contract.

I also don't think it's lost on the team how he sticks up for his teammates either - it's something that has to be considered, especially given how few people on this team are capable of it.

The only thing apparently lost was his chartered plane ticket to Boston to join his mates.

If our chances at winning really do hinge on having 3 strong C’s playing in the playoffs... we better find one quick.

We’ve only had Kadri there for 6 out of 14 games in the last 2 seasons.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The only thing apparently lost was his chartered plane ticket to Boston to join his mates.

If our chances at winning really do hinge on having 3 strong C’s playing in the playoffs... we better find one quick.

We’ve only had Kadri there for 6 out of 14 games in the last 2 seasons.

Babcock doesn't have his inactive roster players travelling with the team. He never has. But apparently now it's a big issue? Kadri didn't travel with the team last year in the playoffs either. Injured players rarely ever travel with him. Many coaches prefer to only travel with active players.

Maybe I'm being an optimist, but I'm willing to give Kadri the benefit of the doubt here - 2 braindead plays that cost us badly in 2 seasons, but have to think he's learned his lesson now. I like Naz. I'd keep him.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Babcock doesn't have his inactive roster players travelling with the team. He never has. But apparently now it's a big issue? Kadri didn't travel with the team last year in the playoffs either. Injured players rarely ever travel with him. Many coaches prefer to only travel with active players.

Kadri was in the Leafs press box for game 3. But not in the arena for game 6... or so it was reported.

That was a home game.
Maybe I'm being an optimist, but I'm willing to give Kadri the benefit of the doubt here - 2 braindead plays that cost us badly in 2 seasons, but have to think he's learned his lesson now. I like Naz. I'd keep him.

We have an unreliable 16G scorer playing a depth position and we absolutely need to sign very young and fast players and absolutely need to replace and improve the blue line.

Take emotion out of it.

This is as easy a decision as it gets.

Only other options are to trade Zaitsev... which brings the blue line replacement number to 3.

Move on from Nylander but as the younger one the upside of his career that would be a real head scratcher.

Even if you felt (erroneously) that Kadri brought more to the table, we come back to his reliability. 7 years in the league. 5 suspensions.... all for head shots in a league with concussion lawsuit sensitivity .

This is the soccer equivalent of starting every big match with a yellow card.

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Kadri was in the Leafs press box for game 3. But not in the arena for game 6... or so it was reported.

That was a home game.

We have an unreliable 16G scorer playing a depth position and we absolutely need to sign very young and fast players and absolutely need to replace and improve the blue line.

Take emotion out of it.

This is as easy a decision as it gets.

He didn't travel with the team for games 5 and 7. He was at the home games he was suspended for.

I agree, it's as easy a decision as it gets - you don't trade the single biggest strength of your team because of an issue that can be solved. Temperament can be addressed and fixed.

And it's a easy decision before you even get into Kadri's production and contract. Once you factor those in, I think it's a slam dunk he stays.

I'd say 99% he's here next year. Feel free to save this for later, if you like.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Well i would just keep him in my top 6 as a left winger actually. As i would also with Nylander.

Then let the options in game run wild for the imagination.

Oh sorry sorry!!! Forgot our coach has no imagination. Just a heap of talent he somehow manages to underutilize in his predictable way.

Zack Hyman is a f()king 3rd liner.

I would think I'm worried this sh!t coach returns. "So hows that".

Babcock has proven to be a playoffs loser. There is a big enough sample size to presume he has been a detriment to the roster in the way he has used it.

He's stale and cost us dearly!

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
He didn't travel with the team for games 5 and 7. He was at the home games he was suspended for.

I agree, it's as easy a decision as it gets - you don't trade the single biggest strength of your team because of an issue that can be solved. Temperament can be addressed and fixed.

And it's a easy decision before you even get into Kadri's production and contract. Once you factor those in, I think it's a slam dunk he stays.

I'd say 99% he's here next year. Feel free to save this for later, if you like.

All good. Opinions make this place interesting.

Reactions: Tak7

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
so Dubas is going to start looking for good contracts to help alleviate the cap issues he's created?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad