Speculation: Guys, What are we going to do with Kadri now?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
if there's a good trade out there I'd move him. Kadri brings allot to the table, but he's not going to be effective if he can't play on the edge. Obviously he can't control himself and brain farts are the result.

Unless the table is set up outdoors, Kadri brings absolutely nothing to the party raging inside the rink when he’s suspended.

It’s a waste of cap space.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
I am not here saying that he's a perfect scapegoat because of what he did in one game. He has had a long career of letting his team down. His next suspension will come and will be even longer. I know he's not a bad person, but he's certainly a bad team mate. I'm sure some team will trade for him, but we are going to lose that trade all day long.

Can you give any reason why TOR should keep him around?

I don't think he's a bad teammate whatsoever. If we had more players like him, perhaps we would be permitted to play like Boston.

I understand the criticism for Kadri and his decision making as being self-serving. I don't know if it's entirely justified. I don't think his decision to crosscheck DeBrusk came from a flash moment of anger. I think Kadri responded with what he deemed permissible and of kind given the level Boston was permitted to play through and play through the entire series. And I think he responded with a long series in mind. A kind of, You're (i.e. Boston) not running our players with impunity, response.

My sense is, Kadri has to play smarter, not so much because he's a problem, but because, like Boston is, for whatever reason, permitted to play a Boston-style of hockey, Kadri isn't allowed to reciprocate in kind, and is now a product of a reputation that precedes him. Perhaps he's too explicit, too open in the way he responds and should adapt a subtle brand of tough hockey in the way Marchand and Chara have mastered. But Kadri is a fine player when he's dialed in. Very skilled.

If we move him now, we may not yield what we could should he do again what he did before. Namely, take criticism (when challenged by Shanahan) to heart and respond positively. I think he can. And if he can, we'll be left with a dilemma that doesn't simply bite the bullet and take what we can get for him under the present conditions.

One of our main weapons was incredible depth down the middle. I want to see a full series with that option fully operational before we baby and the bathwater Nazem Kadri. Because we're not going to have it if we move him. We're not acquiring another one like him at that price. And I don't see the kind of D we need coming back for Kadri with the reputation he has at present. So, I say, let's find solutions to our problems without creating another one.

Tough decisions are ahead. I'd find it very tough - now that calm has taken over and the dust has settled - to move on from the possibility that Kadri brings. I mean, if we're left between choosing the tough emotional call between losing Marleau and Kadri, I'd think losing Kadri is the bigger hit to the dressing room on top of losing Jake Gardiner.

Reactions: uncleben

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
so a 7 million dollar 3rd line c instead of a 4.5?

We need a Charlie Coyle type of guy who can log low minutes and lower end salary requests. Having Naz is a waste the way they use him...he is a luxury we don't need. I would keep Willy up with Mathews and find some cheaper 3rd center to use who will probably score close to what Kadri did this year. Using Willy at C for 7M is nuts...he is not good enough to drive a line by himself and it would be with Marleau and Brown most likely...which would kill any kind of offense he could muster up.

Reactions: Budsfan

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
When I heard on Tim and Sid that Kadri didn't travel with the team and I thought back to the little to no open support for him verbally by his teammates, I have to think his own team feels betrayed.

One time was really bad, a second time just lets down your teammates who have to battle and go to war everynight shorthanded. That's from each man on the team, to the coach and ownership being hurt.

As it were, his contract is reasonable enough that he would bring a decent return. he can be sold as a #2 Centre, who can even play on the #1, he can score goals and play with some grit.

I just think it's a long year to have to wait and his number of suspensions suggest this is his DNA. It's unfortunate because I liked his play and thought he would have a key role in beating the Bruins. It's quite possible Nylander is shipped out along with him.

I generally agree.

I would say that we should prepare ourselves for less of a return.

We can’t take salary back. So picks and prospects seems likely.

Reactions: aingefan

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
The dude is not Matt Cooke, he's just playing his game and getting caught up in the bs and sure that's on him, fair enough I guess. Just saying it's an easy fix for him to play within the rules for now on and I wouldn't give up on him.

I'd be very disappointed if the Leafs traded him but I doubt they will.

He’s not Matt Cooke. We agree.

Granted, both have been suspended five times but I don’t think Cooke has been fined for diving.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
He's not the difference between making the playoffs/missing the playoffs and if he just gets suspended then traded him for somebody who will actually contribute and not hinder the team in the post season.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Shiiiii mayne. We not going to move him mayne. Okee. We keeping him all the way through, we need even more souljas like kadri who will talk, yell, hit that thang, heavy that thang, revenge on othas. Care for the team mates. Care and protect them. That's what we need and don't have. Kadri did dat. We are getting even more of these commies. Glendeling, McQuaid, Simmonds, Fogele, Fagerstrom, Jenner, Lowry, and others. We are making our hit squad the realest mob squads in the world. None of these other poor, (non rich) clubs are willing to even look at us anymore mayne. We own em all and won't brake them for no one!

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Some ofy'all clearly don't want a guy who TALKS; YELLS, defends our own teammeates, revenges, cares for his team guys, hits that thang, hard, physical. We ain't even got those, that's why we lost to the big bad bruins. They enforcers. We need more of these sucka kadris. Mucho deniro more mayne. Get em, get em all!!

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
I don't think he's a bad teammate whatsoever. If we had more players like him, perhaps we would be permitted to play like Boston.

I understand the criticism for Kadri and his decision making as being self-serving. I don't know if it's entirely justified. I don't think his decision to crosscheck DeBrusk came from a flash moment of anger. I think Kadri responded with what he deemed permissible and of kind given the level Boston was permitted to play through and play through the entire series. And I think he responded with a long series in mind. A kind of, You're (i.e. Boston) not running our players with impunity, response.

My sense is, Kadri has to play smarter, not so much because he's a problem, but because, like Boston is, for whatever reason, permitted to play a Boston-style of hockey, Kadri isn't allowed to reciprocate in kind, and is now a product of a reputation that precedes him. Perhaps he's too explicit, too open in the way he responds and should adapt a subtle brand of tough hockey in the way Marchand and Chara have mastered. But Kadri is a fine player when he's dialed in. Very skilled.

If we move him now, we may not yield what we could should he do again what he did before. Namely, take criticism (when challenged by Shanahan) to heart and respond positively. I think he can. And if he can, we'll be left with a dilemma that doesn't simply bite the bullet and take what we can get for him under the present conditions.

One of our main weapons was incredible depth down the middle. I want to see a full series with that option fully operational before we baby and the bathwater Nazem Kadri. Because we're not going to have it if we move him. We're not acquiring another one like him at that price. And I don't see the kind of D we need coming back for Kadri with the reputation he has at present. So, I say, let's find solutions to our problems without creating another one.

Tough decisions are ahead. I'd find it very tough - now that calm has taken over and the dust has settled - to move on from the possibility that Kadri brings. I mean, if we're left between choosing the tough emotional call between losing Marleau and Kadri, I'd think losing Kadri is the bigger hit to the dressing room on top of losing Jake Gardiner.

Kadri isn’t going anywhere. Team was built on center depth on 3 lines. Obvious moves Gardiner and Hainsey go. Brown and one of Johnsson or Kapanen traded (Hopefully for RD). Need some size, dependable back-up. My Opinion only.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

What about Kadri's other suspensions? You seem to be too focused on the emotion of one game. How good can Kadri be to his team sitting in the press box and eventually not traveling with the team? It's not so bad that Kadri gets emotional. It's that he does wreckless things like cross checking people in the head when they are vulnerable. Other players will drop the gloves. No not Kadri. He has to try and put a player in the hospital using his stick.

Reactions: Pookie

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Kadri isn’t going anywhere. Team was built on center depth on 3 lines. Obvious moves Gardiner and Hainsey go. Brown and one of Johnsson or Kapanen traded (Hopefully for RD). Need some size, dependable back-up. My Opinion only.

With 2 D leaving this offseason and Muzzin with a year to go... maybe just maybe they need to be thinking about the back end instead of the C depth.

And IF C depth is the thing they want to go with.... they need a dependable C to actually be in the line up to create that depth.

Leafs have played 14 playoff games in the last 2 years. Kadri has played 6.

Gone.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Do you think his next suspension... odds are another head shot.... will be longer or shorter then his 5th one?

The “losing Kadri” angle is moot. We already played 8 playoff games without him.

You’ve got a key position and cap space up in the press box... well.... that’s if this “heart and soul” guy actually travels with the team.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
trade him to Philly for Philippe Myers and a high draft pick. Marleau says he's not retiring, slot him in a 3rd line center and live with 2 scoring lines and 2 defensive lines for next year.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
trade him to Philly for Philippe Myers and a high draft pick. Marleau says he's not retiring, slot him in a 3rd line center and live with 2 scoring lines and 2 defensive lines for next year.
Marleau can still skate, dump and chase, and cycle a bit.
Seems best suited for the 4th line. But, Babs.
If Kadri can yield that return, I’d be good with it.
Or maybe Carolina for Fox and something, if he’s willing to sign.
Or a LW on ELC and a pick who can do what Hyman does but for AM’s line.
There’ll be a good deal to he had, and he was probably the best bet for ‘higher contract with value’ to he traded before the suspension anyway.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Do you think his next suspension... odds are another head shot.... will be longer or shorter then his 5th one?

The “losing Kadri” angle is moot. We already played 8 playoff games without him.

You’ve got a key position and cap space up in the press box... well.... that’s if this “heart and soul” guy actually travels with the team.

There were questions surrounding Kadri’s fit just before the Carlyle-Kessel Leafs were dismantled. Kadri’s name was among those occasioned for trade. He was selected in no small part by Shanahan to remain with the club in the belief that his talent was a true reflection of his ability to change for the better. Kadri rewarded their faith and became a better player.

I believe Kadri will improve again. And as mentioned, I want to see what our club can do in the playoffs with that center depth.

We don’t have options within the organization to replace Kadri. There aren’t a lot of centers like him at his price in the league. Those that closely resemble his skill, price and grit aren’t going to come cheaply, if at all.

Reactions: uncleben

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
When I heard on Tim and Sid that Kadri didn't travel with the team and I thought back to the little to no open support for him verbally by his teammates, I have to think his own team feels betrayed.

One time was really bad, a second time just lets down your teammates who have to battle and go to war everynight shorthanded. That's from each man on the team, to the coach and ownership being hurt.

As it were, his contract is reasonable enough that he would bring a decent return. he can be sold as a #2 Centre, who can even play on the #1, he can score goals and play with some grit.

I just think it's a long year to have to wait and his number of suspensions suggest this is his DNA. It's unfortunate because I liked his play and thought he would have a key role in beating the Bruins. It's quite possible Nylander is shipped out along with him.
We don't have a very verbal team, and the policy was probably to not talk about it.
Plus Kadri was left behind so that he could get proper training done when he wasn't in games. It was better for him than flying out and being the 14th guy at practice, with no hopes of game situations.

I'm sure the team did/does feel betrayed and/or frustrated, and I think he genuinely feels he let them down, but I don't think those two things are cause for much more speculation, imo.

And sounds like Naz is going to look into his personal/mental health. I can't imagine the team will back out without seeing what that looks like for him.
He's really cleaned up his act, overall, and now addressing these retaliatory explosions has to be done. He's aware that next time his suspension will be much bigger, and have much more serious consequences than games missed or salary lost.

skacore

Nov 7, 2010
We need more grit and team toughness so Kadri doesn't have to put himself in these situations every year

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
There were questions surrounding Kadri’s fit just before the Carlyle-Kessel Leafs were dismantled. Kadri’s name was among those occasioned for trade. He was selected in no small part by Shanahan to remain with the club in the belief that his talent was a true reflection of his ability to change for the better. Kadri rewarded their faith and became a better player.

I believe Kadri will improve again. And as mentioned, I want to see what our club can do in the playoffs with that center depth.

We don’t have options within the organization to replace Kadri. There aren’t a lot of centers like him at his price in the league. Those that closely resemble his skill, price and grit aren’t going to come cheaply, if at all.

You’ve got to live in the present.

Our C depth won’t mean a thing if we don’t have speed like Kapanen on the wing.

And plugging holes in the blue line is the priority.

You speak of Kadri with a romantic notion of what he was. That’s fine. Scored 30gs twice.

That’s not what he is now.

16G depth C who can’t play the PK and is unable to contribute in the playoffs due to his own volatility.

Not travelling with the team in playoffs is very strange to me. Especially for someone some of you talked about as heart and soul.

Reactions: Budsfan

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Plus Kadri was left behind so that he could get proper training done when he wasn't in games. It was better for him than flying out and being the 14th guy at practice, with no hopes of game situations.

Not sure I follow the logic here.

No gyms in Boston? No ice time availability to skate by himself? Or with a team?

And sounds like Naz is going to look into his personal/mental health. I can't imagine the team will back out without seeing what that looks like for him.
He's really cleaned up his act, overall, and now addressing these retaliatory explosions has to be done. He's aware that next time his suspension will be much bigger, and have much more serious consequences than games missed or salary lost.

This is where we all need to offer words of encouragement and support.

He faced a cross roads once and admirably chose a positive path. If something like this is on the horizon, regardless of whether he stays a Leaf or not, we have to hope he’s able to choose positively again.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

Obviously we are not built on center depth.

Reactions: Pookie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad