Speculation: Guys, What are we going to do with Kadri now?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I am not here saying that he's a perfect scapegoat because of what he did in one game. He has had a long career of letting his team down. His next suspension will come and will be even longer. I know he's not a bad person, but he's certainly a bad team mate. I'm sure some team will trade for him, but we are going to lose that trade all day long.

Can you give any reason why TOR should keep him around?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Can you give any reason why TOR should keep him around?

Because he's on a good contract and gives us great center depth?

I can see not being able to trust him anymore and possibly moving him because of it, but if you can't think of any reason to keep him around, I'm not sure what to say.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
He is a good player but the more I think about it the more I am ready to move on. I honestly think he is a pretty valuable part of the team and was showing it before he went full a-hole. His loss made the team less competitive against a club who had finished higher in the standings and then made an add for the playoff run. I hope they at least look for another team who will give full value for him because you can't build around a guy who will take himself out of a series like that and leave the team with a hole in it. The next suspension is only going to be longer.

Willie is not the solution at #3c though so they need to make a deal that doesn't leave them relying on the weak fish in their system to fill the void.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
They exposed his weakness. He must feel a little like brown pudding. I would be interested to see how driven he is this off season. If he has a great year offensively selling high on him might be a good idea. With the impending expansion draft coming up I wouldn't be surprised if they take a protect player and one they would have to leave exposed and par-lay them into a better player. Maybe they even that a couple of times. Over giving up a first to protect someone or even give up the 1st you would loose anyways into a 2 plus a 1st into an exceptionally better player or to eat a cap hit on said better player.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I no longer think of the Kadri situation as a catch 22.

He will repeat his wreckless play, he will do this at the worst time, he will be suspended longer each time.

Toronto has to move him. They have to find a 3C (someone unfortunately not as good as Kadri).

If Dubas cares about his job he'll have to fix this problem.

Reactions: CelticDruid

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
He became closer to being expendable with the drop to 3C upon the Tavares signing. I don't like to think he's become a 'must move' simply due to another playoff suspension, disappointing as that was.

Trade him because the cap situation is growing tighter, there's a better value to be had at 3C, or there's a trade offer that allows the team to allocate cap space to a bigger area of need.

There are probably going to have to be changes up front. Trading Kadri might be one of the possibilities looked at.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I’ve said this numerous times.

Two words to describe Kadri.

Mentally unstable.

Get his a*# out of here. Plenty of players who could fill his spot.

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
Even during Kadri's mea culpa, you could read between the lines and tell that he really doesn't think what he did is all that bad. Get a transcript of his words and you could highlight what he was told to say, and the rest is what he really feels. He's likely been praised so many times by certain people about his 'standing up for team-mates,' that to him, apparently, it's worth it to be a kind of tragic figure in his own mind when he does something stupid. Guarantee he'll do it again.

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
Who trades their center depth. Teams are desperate for it. I can't wait to see the whining when/if matthews or tavares are injured and we have no one to step in. Nylander? Give me a break. You people have lost your god damn minds.

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
Who trades their center depth. Teams are desperate for it. I can't wait to see the whining when/if matthews or tavares are injured and we have no one to step in. Nylander? Give me a break. You people have lost your god damn minds.

A team whose center makes himself unavailable due to stupid plays and eliminates the depth...

Reactions: egd27

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Nylander actually looked good at center lol

(not saying we should/shouldn't trade Kadri, but Nylander is very capable at center)

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I would keep him unless the return is a legit right handed top 4 defenceman on a good contract with term left.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
We DON'T NEED players who defend our own guys and care for them and their safety. We don't need anybody who talks or yells. We don't need checkers or hitters or gritty guys who do something special for the team. Stay away.

:biglaugh: I know ice hockey. Some of y'all don't. Y'all didn't learn nothin bout the playoffs.

We need more players like kadri, MORE. Much more. Different types and sizes. :clap:

4chandler

Apr 11, 2019
We're going to play him behind Matthews and Tavares.

When did Leaf Nation become such wusses that want to trade a player for getting a suspension? Would we trade Gary Roberts him he got a suspension?

I'm fine with Kadri actually sticking up to Boston because everyone else bent the knee in game 2.

Reactions: TmlHockeyFan

Gary Bettman

Jul 4, 2012
Keep him, every team in the nhl hates him but wants him at the sametime.
Great 2 way centre,

He does have a hot temper and doesn't like his teammates or himself to be disrespected. Some say his actions are selfish and cost the team a potential series win. i say that his actions actually show that he cares. The leafs need more players on the leafs team like this, that is the problem.

Dubas should trade for a Miles Wood or Wayne Simmonds type so Kadri doesn't have to take on the protecter role.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
We DON'T NEED players who defend our own guys and care for them and their safety. We don't need anybody who talks or yells. We don't need checkers or hitters or gritty guys who do something special for the team. Stay away.

:biglaugh: I know ice hockey. Some of y'all don't. Y'all didn't learn nothin bout the playoffs.

We need more players like kadri, MORE. Much more. Different types and sizes. :clap:

True. But those players are handy having them in the playoffs too. The last two playoffs he took himself out. I say trade him when his value goes up. If that’s even possible.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC

We could field a whole team of suspended players.

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
Keep him obviously.

i guess boston should've traded marchand after he kept getting suspended? or washington should've traded tom wilson?

kadri promised to never get suspended again and i believe him.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Kadri is arguably the only tradeable asset on the team that could return a top 4 RHD.

Nylander has lost value since he signed his mega contract. Marleau and Brown have little to no trade value.

Kapanen and Johnsson are coming off breakout seasons and I’d be surprised if the leafs traded them.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014

The problem is, probably about 95% of the goons Toronto's had were smarter with their actions then Kadri. He's talented but not very wise. Whether a heavy hitter or a goon, plays the emotion of the game like a dramatic change of tempo in a song. Right now, Toronto's coaching and management are taking statistical samples of who can play their musical instruments the loudest, but they have no clue of how to compose any emotion. I think their solution for Kadri was to just turn him off in the regular season. Kadri's needed maintain his beat and know when to hit the high notes.

SportsJunkie

Jan 29, 2013
Toronto
I wouldn't move Kadri...Love watching him play and he pisses me off just the same. He is trying to hard to stand up for his teammates because well nobody else will and as much as I want him to drop the gloves he cannot.

Keep Kadri

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad