Player Discussion Gustav Lindstrom

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
His age and situation is kiiiiind of similar to Gustav Forsling a while back, who's now an incredible player. Seems interesting. I def want us to hang on to him and see where it leads next year. Imo, we desperately need players like him when we have Luneau, Minty, Zell

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
His age and situation is kiiiiind of similar to Gustav Forsling a while back, who's now an incredible player. Seems interesting. I def want us to hang on to him and see where it leads next year. Imo, we desperately need players like him when we have Luneau, Minty, Zell

I know pv didn’t mention defense really, but it’s definitely kinda at an awkward spot.

Signed you have
Fowler luneau
Mintyukov gudas
Zellweger

Vaaks lindstrom and lacombe as RFA
Hinds and helleson as potential call up options next year

Can sign Lindström and plug him on 3rd pairing

But it does leave lacombe/Vaaks as an awkward decision. This also assumes we don’t try to bring anyone in.

I know some fans arnt ready for the discussion but I think you have to feel out options regarding Fowler. I think he’ll lose most of his powerplay time to zellweger Mintyukov and luneau next year…. And he’s not exactly a great penalty killer.

Reactions: JabbaJabba and Kalv

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
I know pv didn’t mention defense really, but it’s definitely kinda at an awkward spot.

Signed you have
Fowler luneau
Mintyukov gudas
Zellweger

But it does leave lacombe/Vaaks as an awkward decision. This also assumes we don’t try to bring anyone in.

I know some fans arnt ready for the discussion but I think you have to feel out options regarding Fowler. I think he’ll lose most of his powerplay time to zellweger Mintyukov and luneau next year…. And he’s not exactly a great penalty killer.
Fowler is definitely on his way out imho. He even plays as though he’s already been approached by GM Verbeek about this. He seems to not care to much anymore he has joined Gibson as 2 lame vet ducks as far as attitude imho

Reactions: TopShelfWaterBottle

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Signed you have
Fowler luneau
Mintyukov gudas
Zellweger

Helleson and Hinds aren't ready for the NHL. It's best to re-sign Vaak and Lindstrom. Due to having too many youths still establishing themselves in Minty, Zell, LaCombe, and Luneau, it's probably best to treat next year as another development season and carry 8-dmen.

Although, I do wish our front office and coaching staff get over preferring players play on their shooting hands only. LaCombe, Zell, and Hinds have played exclusively RD prior to going pro. That actually gives the NHL club more flexibility, especially in the draft.

Someone on Reddit shared the Plus/Minus rating since Mar 1 for our blue line. I was surprised to see the results. I added the ATOI, Pts/Game, and PIM stats, courtesy of NHL.com.

Ducks2023-24Mar 1to Apr 8
PlayerGamesATOI+/-PointsPts/GamePIM
Lindstrom
17​
15:39​
3​
4​
0.24​
14​
LaCombe
15​
18:55​
0​
3​
0.20​
6​
Vaak
16​
17:35​
-1​
4​
0.25​
10​
Lagesson
8​
15:41​
-2​
0​
0.00​
13​
Gudas
9​
18:45​
-3​
2​
0.22​
26​
Zell
18​
19:35​
-7​
6​
0.33​
2​
Fowler
18​
23:59​
-8​
7​
0.39​
6​
Minty
15​
20:47​
-8​
4​
0.27​
8​

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Helleson and Hinds aren't ready for the NHL. It's best to re-sign Vaak and Lindstrom. Due to having too many youths still establishing themselves in Minty, Zell, LaCombe, and Luneau, it's probably best to treat next year as another development season and carry 8-dmen.

Although, I do wish our front office and coaching staff get over preferring players play on their shooting hands only. LaCombe, Zell, and Hinds have played exclusively RD prior to going pro. That actually gives the NHL club more flexibility, especially in the draft.

Someone on Reddit shared the Plus/Minus rating since Mar 1 for our blue line. I was surprised to see the results. I added the ATOI, Pts/Game, and PIM stats, courtesy of NHL.com.

Ducks2023-24Mar 1to Apr 8
PlayerGamesATOI+/-PointsPts/GamePIM
Lindstrom
17​
15:39​
3​
4​
0.24​
14​
LaCombe
15​
18:55​
0​
3​
0.20​
6​
Vaak
16​
17:35​
-1​
4​
0.25​
10​
Lagesson
8​
15:41​
-2​
0​
0.00​
13​
Gudas
49​
18:45​
-3​
2​
0.04​
26​
Zell
18​
19:35​
-7​
6​
0.33​
2​
Fowler
18​
23:59​
-8​
7​
0.39​
6​
Minty
15​
20:47​
-8​
4​
0.27​
8​
Idk if I’d say I was surprised by those stats…. Seems pretty close to what I’d expect

Reactions: Kalv

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC

Signed you have
Fowler luneau
Mintyukov gudas
Zellweger

Biggest thing for me, is who is ready and able to eat those minutes for a full season. Minty has shown hes able to for short stints but then seems like it wears on him. Not ideal for a guy in his position.

Im forever a Fowler backer but I do see a day in the near future where hes gone. That 4 team NMC is going to be difficult to get past. If he wants to stay, hes going to have his 4 teams as teams that absolutely dont need help on D.

I think a lot will depend on who you can bring in this offseason. If you can bring in a guy with some years under his belt and can play 20+ minutes, makes it a lot easier. Or, I guess, if you end up drafting a legit Dman who is ready to roll.... still, like Minty, its not ideal to put that much pressure on a young kid trying to learn the league at that position.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Biggest thing for me, is who is ready and able to eat those minutes for a full season. Minty has shown hes able to for short stints but then seems like it wears on him. Not ideal for a guy in his position.

Im forever a Fowler backer but I do see a day in the near future where hes gone. That 4 team NMC is going to be difficult to get past. If he wants to stay, hes going to have his 4 teams as teams that absolutely dont need help on D.

I think a lot will depend on who you can bring in this offseason. If you can bring in a guy with some years under his belt and can play 20+ minutes, makes it a lot easier. Or, I guess, if you end up drafting a legit Dman who is ready to roll.... still, like Minty, its not ideal to put that much pressure on a young kid trying to learn the league at that position.
I’m more worried about taking the next step as a team and becoming at least a playoff team…. I think Fowler needs to be replaced by someone that can compliment the young guys better and play pk mins.

I don’t think fowler being here makes us a better team going forward

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I don't think any of the d-men in this draft should go straight to the NHL. I'm a huge Lev fan and despite having an NHL body, he's still learning to play defense at an NA level. Lev has only two seasons playing NA level defense. Let him stew for another year to see how big a jump he can improve upon and revisit if he should come over.

As for eating minutes, I Lindstrom has shown he can do the job when given high level minutes. His defense and puck possession has improved since coming over from MtL. He's a +11 with the Ducks, but a +0 when with MtL. He's been a good find.

As for Fowler, I think his job is being a babysitter for yet another youth like Luneau next year. I don't know who else can come over and be okay babysitting for another year or two unless you're age 34 and older.

Reactions: Kalv

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
I don't think any of the d-men in this draft should go straight to the NHL. I'm a huge Lev fan and despite having an NHL body, he's still learning to play defense at an NA level. Lev has only two seasons playing NA level defense. Let him stew for another year to see how big a jump he can improve upon and revisit if he should come over.

As for eating minutes, I Lindstrom has shown he can do the job when given high level minutes. His defense and puck possession has improved since coming over from MtL. He's a +11 with the Ducks, but a +0 when with MtL. He's been a good find.

As for Fowler, I think his job is being a babysitter for yet another youth like Luneau next year. I don't know who else can come over and be okay babysitting for another year or two unless you're age 34 and older.

Yeah, maybe bumping Lindstroms minutes a bit can help balance things out, but still a concern even if Ive liked his game.

I agree with Fowler and that situation. Earliest I can see it happening would be TDL next season if the Ducks are completely out of it. The other thing is even if we got a Pesce or Roy, they arent exactly top pairing guys who can properly coach up a Luneau.

This blueline has a lot of moving parts to it right now. Not an easy problem to navigate.

I’m more worried about taking the next step as a team and becoming at least a playoff team…. I think Fowler needs to be replaced by someone that can compliment the young guys better and play pk mins.

I don’t think fowler being here makes us a better team going forward

We're still in a weird spot though. We want/need to take a step forward but the blueline is all over the place. We still have young guys either needing some guidance or will be coming in for the first time and arent just shutdown, PK guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad