When does the Yzerplan start getting criticized?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Jersey and Buffalos too. Development isn’t linear.

I'm not too familiar with what Jersey actually did besides that they've been terrible for a lot of years but put me in the camp who's now fully entrenched into the whole 'Going scorched earth isn't doing your club any favors'. It seems incredibly hard to get out of at this point and the lottery odds just aren't worth it. I'm glad though. Tanking is a blight on the league and steps should be taken to discourage it.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'm not too familiar with what Jersey actually did besides that they've been terrible for a lot of years but put me in the camp who's now fully entrenched into the whole 'Going scorched earth isn't doing your club any favors'. It seems incredibly hard to get out of at this point and the lottery odds just aren't worth it. I'm glad though. Tanking is a blight on the league and steps should be taken to discourage it.
Yup. The rebuild recipe seems pretty much entrenched in the hockey world. Draft well over a period of years to collect a group of young core pieces. Then compliment those players with experience. Finally cross fingers that the young guys continue to get better while the experience gets retooled. I’m not too sure Detroit has their young core totally in place yet. ASP, imo, is the #1 D man they’re hoping for to give them the jump in the standings.

• Haha
Reactions: norrisnick

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

This is why I like the way Yzerman is rebuilding. He isn't going scorched earth and still has a slim chance at being rewarded a #5 pick.

1. Wings are starting to learn about 'compete'. That's a lesson a lot of these other 'up-and-coming' teams have yet to work on... and it shows.

2. Yzerman still has a slim chance at the #5 pick.

Regardless, this upcoming draft has 4 tiers in the 1st round:

Tier 1. Celebrini (likely #1)

Tier 2. Like 3 guys

Tier 3. Group of like 12 equally good players (pick a position of need)

Tier 4. Meh.

Yzerman, regardless 'had he" attempted to be bad, still wasn't going to be bad enough for TIER 2. He was selecting TIER 3 at best.

If Wings did make the playoffs, they likely draft "Meh."

Last edited:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
No responses from the smooth brains on this one. Picture says a million words
He took a historically bad team and with a couple good draft picks and signing middling talent and spending to the cap he turned it into a bubble team. It’s progress but the path to even being able to get past the first round of the playoffs isn’t clear, let alone being a contender.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
He took a historically bad team and with a couple good draft picks and signing middling talent turned it into a bubble team. It’s progress but the path to even being able to get past the first round of the playoffs isn’t clear, let alone being a contender.
Can't go from worst in the league into contender in a rush unless you get lucky with one or two pieces. Have to build and be patient while mainting cap flexibility, which is exactly what detroit management has done. That old Detroit roster was getting WORSE year over year along with the prospect pool before he got there. Now it's year over over improvement while only having 3 of your draft picks in the lineup. The kids are coming.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Can't go from worst in the league into contender in a rush unless you get lucky with one or two pieces. Have to build and be patient while mainting cap flexibility, which is exactly what detroit management has done. That old Detroit roster was getting WORSE year over year along with the prospect pool before he got there. Now it's year over over improvement while only having 3 of your draft picks in the lineup. The kids are coming.
Which kids? They don’t have any elite forwards in the pool. They’re not going to make the next step with a top line of ADB-Larkin-Raymond.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Say the fans of every rebuilding team since time immemorial.
Isn't byram supposed to be better than seider? Lol

Which kids? They don’t have any elite forwards in the pool. They’re not going to make the next step with a top line of ADB-Larkin-Raymond.
I expect danielson and kasper to be better than compher and copp.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Isn't byram supposed to be better than seider? Lol

I expect danielson and kasper to be better than compher and copp.
Kaspers ceiling is Compher like production. Danielson could be putting up Larkin numbers in 5 years. Sounds good, right? Well the bad news is that when they’re doing that Larkin will be 33 and Compher will be 34 and they are now just rearranged deck chairs on the titanic.

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
I feel the same way about you.
Wheeler had their pool ranked 2nd in Janurary and hes not alone. People who get paid to analyze these things tend to lean with me, but yeah you might be an expert.

Kaspers ceiling is Compher like production. Danielson could be putting up Larkin numbers in 5 years. Sounds good, right? Well the bad news is that when they’re doing that Larkin will be 33 and Compher will be 34 and they are now just rearranged deck chairs on the titanic.
I guess thats what it comes down it, when will they make a difference. We really have to wait and see if the picks work out before declaring, it hinges on them

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Wheeler had their pool ranked 2nd in Janurary and hes not alone. People who get paid to analyze these things tend to lean with me, but yeah you might be an expert.
Rankings are subjective and having a prospect pool that ranks highly doesn't guarantee future success.

How many years now have Ottawa and Buffalo been praised for their prospect pool?

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Rankings are subjective and having a prospect pool that ranks highly doesn't guarantee future success.

How many years now have Ottawa and Buffalo been praised for their prospect pool?
That's a fair point, but i would say we have seen more of their young players at the NHL level than we have from Detroit, yet Detroit has had the most (marginal) success if detroits young players come in and improve the team(2nd ranked pool) the separation only increases.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
The optimism some red wings fans have is unparalleled. I will give you that.
There are a few in this thread, like the guy who called half our prospects and players franchise players, that are absolutely out to lunch.

But for the most part, I think most fans have been pretty reasonable. I think it's clear a lot of people want to see Yzerman fail based on this thread hitting almost 70 pages. Most of it being Wings fans explaining the situation over and over again to fans of other teams who seem to have no clue of our situation but love to speak on it anyway

dekelikekocur

Mar 9, 2012
He took a historically bad team and with a couple good draft picks and signing middling talent and spending to the cap he turned it into a bubble team. It’s progress but the path to even being able to get past the first round of the playoffs isn’t clear, let alone being a contender.
This thread isn't about Ottawa.

Reactions: Crunchy

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018

To be honest, I was looking for Czech prospects but found this funny. 14th out of 32 and no guaranteed superstars. Obviously, just one prospect pool guy and maybe he's a fool. Found it funny.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

You’re already declaring a player’s ceiling after 1 AHL season?

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
It’ll be fun when we’re in the 2nd round next year and people are still trying to figure out how it happened with our shit prospects and subpar youngsters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad