Player Discussion Gustav Lindstrom

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
He’s +11 in 14 games with us, has 3 points, and is behind only Hagg, Gudas, and Lybushkin in Hits/60. He’s 5th in blocked shots/60.

Worth a 1 year deal to see if it’s real IMO.
I also feel that he is kind of physical along the boards without taking the penalties that goes with that

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I also feel that he is kind of physical along the boards without taking the penalties that goes with that
He’s not flashy, but he doesn’t do dumb stuff. Seems to be where he should be, and I don’t really notice him much. Pretty much what you want in a bottom pairing guy.

He’s not a physical beast, which would be useful, but he’s also not a liability, which we do need.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Lindstrom's showing up well and he's just racking up in the +/- department. One would wonder how, but we rarely see his name called out in the telecast - which is what you like to hear from a defenseman.

Too bad that Zellweger got called up b/c his minutes have been reduced and in a rotation with Vaak and LaCombe. For some reason, something has clicked with Lindstrom in Anaheim.

I'd re-sign Lindstrom because he's a better alternative to Hagg as the extra. But I don't know if there will be room for Lindstrom if the org is willing to push Zell up to the NHL full time next year along with Luneau.

Next year's D-lineup

Fowler-Zell
Minty-Gudas
Vaak-Luneau
LaCombe

If LaCombe doesn't play 70 NHL games, then he should be waiver exempt next season if we re-sign him. Then Lindstrom would take LaCombe's spot.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
He’s +11 in 14 games with us, has 3 points, and is behind only Hagg, Gudas, and Lybushkin in Hits/60. He’s 5th in blocked shots/60.

Worth a 1 year deal to see if it’s real IMO.
He is sheltered playing barely 15 minutes a game. It's like saying we should have signed Scott Harrington last year for being in the 'plus' in 17 games and averaging over 18 minutes. Gustav appears to be capable in the NHL but there will be plenty of those types in the offseason. He just hasn't popped at all physically or offensively for me so I think he would be a serviceable #8/9 call-up type who wouldn't be picked up via waivers, very similar to who the Kings just extended (Movare?).

Alot of our prospects like Zellweger need to be prioritized with games next year and he needs a more physical/defensively dominant type of partner.

You have high hopes considering you’re a Duck fan.
There has to be an eventual end to sucking. Maybe we decide to build an NHL and AHL team that strives to win more than half the games? Just wishful thinking.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
He is sheltered playing barely 15 minutes a game. It's like saying we should have signed Scott Harrington last year for being in the 'plus' in 17 games and averaging over 18 minutes. Gustav appears to be capable in the NHL but there will be plenty of those types in the offseason. He just hasn't popped at all physically or offensively for me so I think he would be a serviceable #8/9 call-up type who wouldn't be picked up via waivers, very similar to who the Kings just extended (Movare?).

Alot of our prospects like Zellweger need to be prioritized with games next year and he needs a more physical/defensively dominant type of partner.

There has to be an eventual end to sucking. Maybe we decide to build an NHL and AHL team that strives to win more than half the games? Just wishful thinking.
Lindstrom is w much better than Harrington was

Reactions: Ducks DVM

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Zellweger is 5’9” and shoots left. He not should be playing on his wrong side on the top pairing in his first full season, unless you want him to be totally overwhelmed.

At best he should be playing his normal side on the 3rd line.

I’m also worried about minty and a sophomore slump.

What we really needs is a bonadied top 2 defenseman to play the right side.

If florida is willing to move ekbad due to cap trouble. I’d go after him.

Fowler ekbad
Minty/lacombe gudas
zelwegger/minty lindstrom
Vakaniein

Reactions: Kalv

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

If we are paying him similar money to that Moverare contract (775k one way x 2 years), it seems like a good fit. There really aren't enough NHL capable RHD to go around. Given the current unknown status of Luneau for next year, it makes sense to have a solid placeholder at the most minimal price. If he's played out of a spot by our younger D, we have a high quality RHD for SD or he's lost back to waivers.

He's not a world beater by any stretch, but I see a bit more there than some of the cannon fodder D we've had in recent years, and he's a tad younger as well. Teams at this deadline are giving up decent picks for RHD who really aren't more than depth guys (Lyubushkin being one). Should hang on to any right shots who show they can defend at the NHL level, they are commodities.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I have no idea why Florida would move Ekblad. Perhaps they don't like his injury history? Otherwise, I'd much rather keep him than pay whatever Montour is going to command. Ekblad is a lot harder to replace.

If they want to get rid of him, I'm all for it. He would be a perfect addition to the Ducks. The price would probably be enormous, though.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I have no idea why Florida would move Ekblad. Perhaps they don't like his injury history? Otherwise, I'd much rather keep him than pay whatever Montour is going to command. Ekblad is a lot harder to replace.

If they want to get rid of him, I'm all for it. He would be a perfect addition to the Ducks. The price would probably be enormous, though.
According to their fans, injuries have really slowed him down and they are worried about what he wants on his next deal. The majority seemed to prefer paying Montour what he wants over keeping Ekblad. And I really don’t think the price would be that high given his injury history and cap hit. I’m sure a more desperate team would outbid us though.

Reactions: caliamad

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
According to their fans, injuries have really slowed him down and they are worried about what he wants on his next deal. The majority seemed to prefer paying Montour what he wants over keeping Ekblad. And I really don’t think the price would be that high given his injury history and cap hit. I’m sure a more desperate team would outbid us though.
The injuries worry me, too, and guys don't tend to be LESS injured as they enter their 30s. When he's healthy, he's exactly what the Ducks need.

As for being outbid, if the Ducks want him, there's no reason for them to lose a bidding war. They have one of the best (and deepest) prospect pools in the league combined with oodles of cap space and upcoming high draft picks. If Florida wanted to deal Ekblad this summer and the Ducks want him, they could offer Florida more in young, high upside assets than anyone else.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
The injuries worry me, too, and guys don't tend to be LESS injured as they enter their 30s. When he's healthy, he's exactly what the Ducks need.

As for being outbid, if the Ducks want him, there's no reason for them to lose a bidding war. They have one of the best (and deepest) prospect pools in the league combined with oodles of cap space and upcoming high draft picks. If Florida wanted to deal Ekblad this summer and the Ducks want him, they could offer Florida more in young, high upside assets than anyone else.
The problem in a bidding war for Ekblad is that he only has 1 year left on his deal. A contending team would and should definitely offer more than us for that. And it would honestly be dumb of us to try and negotiate an extension before he plays a game for us (see Huberdeau, Jonathan). Our competitive advantage is that we wouldn’t need Florida to retain and we wouldn’t need to send money back, which most other teams would.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
The problem in a bidding war for Ekblad is that he only has 1 year left on his deal. A contending team would and should definitely offer more than us for that. And it would honestly be dumb of us to try and negotiate an extension before he plays a game for us (see Huberdeau, Jonathan). Our competitive advantage is that we wouldn’t need Florida to retain and we wouldn’t need to send money back, which most other teams would.

If the Ducks aren't interested in extending him right away, then there's not even a point to trading for him. So yeah, it's a risk.

Sorry, this is off topic. Back to Lindstrom - he's decent and the Ducks are short on NHL ready RHDs. I'm fine keeping him around on a short-term deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad