Gulp - Crow back to IR (vertigo-like symptoms, may be out for the season)

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
You son of a...
Well you know what they say BL ... opinions are like assholes ... everybody has one! ;)
Seriously though, fans can come in all shapes and sizes ( emotional/mental I mean ) and I agree we should be more tolerant of each others and our views. I am a diehard Hawk fan and I personally am fine with them missing the PO's this year .. sure I would prefer they make it in and go deep but I am also not really seeing that as a possibility.
We need a blue chip forward .. I think we have some good potential with D as others have mentioned. Preferably a center but a new leader ... I still like Tkachuk but we would need to be in the top 5 for him I imagine.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Why do people insist on qualifying fandom? Someone has a different philosophy about the team and its direction than others and that makes them not a real fan? Why do we do this around here so much? It's ridiculous.

if this was made for me, honestly I could care less about what type of fan a person is. I likely worded what I wanted to say wrong as I have never in my life rooted for the Hawks to lose- never. I think any hockey fan wants their team to win unless they want them to get moved to another city! lol! or...they are in the next McDavid/Eichel running.

I have been on here long enough to see every band wagoner there is - as long as you watch the game and have passion for it, I could care less - the more the merrier in loving the sport. But wanting your team to lose or miss the playoffs, that I do not get as NOTHING in sports is more exciting than playoff hockey - would have a hard void to fill without the Hawks in the PO's this year.

Most of my in-laws just realized that hockey was a sport in 2010, I love them just the same for it, it's not their fault their parents were ignorant bastards who never educated them on the greatest game on Earth!! Keep the Band wagon rollin'

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
22,000 fans a night pack the place, they aren't giving up...now if anything they can get more cap space to make an even bigger move. Some of you people keep saying they will throw in the towel every year, but the opposite happens and Stan makes a trade or two that sends a message of not giving up...there is no way in hell this team gives up with the core they have and fanbase they built. they will go down swinging, trying to make the playoffs which is exactly what every real Hawks fan should want.

I don't care about a #10 overall pick or #18-22 if we make the playoffs...whoever we draft we simply will not see for a minimum of 2 years and will not help this core...we draft well every year, and many of our better picks are second rounders and beyond like Saad, DeBrincat, Johns, Snuggy, Sikura, and Shaw.

Agreed and well said. The very idea of purposely losing makes me sick to my stomach. Venturing into that territory can create some bad karma.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
22,000 fans a night pack the place, they aren't giving up...now if anything they can get more cap space to make an even bigger move. Some of you people keep saying they will throw in the towel every year, but the opposite happens and Stan makes a trade or two that sends a message of not giving up...there is no way in hell this team gives up with the core they have and fanbase they built. they will go down swinging, trying to make the playoffs which is exactly what every real Hawks fan should want.

I don't care about a #10 overall pick or #18-22 if we make the playoffs...whoever we draft we simply will not see for a minimum of 2 years and will not help this core...we draft well every year, and many of our better picks are second rounders and beyond like Saad, DeBrincat, Johns, Snuggy, Sikura, and Shaw.

It's not going to matter, because the Hawks will be effectively eliminated by the trade deadline. It's not giving up. It's being a realist.

Every real Hawks' fan? Lol. Why would I want this team to make the playoffs and get embarrassed? They are a worse team than last year in pretty much every way. This team isn't winning a single playoff game, let alone a series. It only HURTS their future to somehow scrape into the playoffs.

Paul Allen

Oct 24, 2011
Los Angeles
It's not going to matter, because the Hawks will be effectively eliminated by the trade deadline. It's not giving up. It's being a realist.

Every real Hawks' fan? Lol. Why would I want this team to make the playoffs and get embarrassed? They are a worse team than last year in pretty much every way. This team isn't winning a single playoff game, let alone a series. It only HURTS their future to somehow scrape into the playoffs.

3 Cups is good enough right now. I'd rather miss the playoffs for a couple years and come back as legit contenders rather than go the Wings route. Losing is only sucky when there's no promise in the future.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

see post above about wording - nothing to do with real fans or not, couldn't care less how long anyone has watched the Hawks or the sport - you ALWAYS want your team to win (unless McDavid or Eichel is available at the draft lol), I guess that is an old-school belief system built in me from the 80's on by my father. I saw enough of the losing years to know I never want that back again...win or go down swinging...I would much rather make the playoffs than get some draft pick who we may never see or ever reaches their potential which happens to the majority of players per draft. This isn't 2004-05 all over again, this team has talent and star players, no reason to trade away and hope for a better pick IMO.

I understand the charm and basis for getting high draft picks (I follow and talk prospects all day), but with the core of players we have, the team salary that we are at, and the massive fan base that has been built - outside of trading into the top 10, I just don't see it happening. Bowman has shown every year that he doesn't throw in the towel, even those first round exits we have seen him continue to fight on.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Flawed perception. This team has numerous holes, that aren't going to be filled without a couple really great draft picks. This team is also completely cap f***ed.... The reality is, they have to suck, nail a couple high draft picks, and ride out some guys on ELC contracts massively overperforming, to balance out contracts like Saad/Toews/Seabrook. There's just no other way in a league with a hard salary cap. Simply being competitive isn't good enough. They have to contend.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Flawed perception. This team has numerous holes, that aren't going to be filled without a couple really great draft picks. This team is also completely cap ****ed.... The reality is, they have to suck, nail a couple high draft picks, and ride out some guys on ELC contracts massively overperforming, to balance out contracts like Saad/Toews/Seabrook. There's just no other way in a league with a hard salary cap. Simply being competitive isn't good enough. They have to contend.
The problem is when Dcat, Schmaltz, Forlsing, Duclair, Hartman, et all get their raises.. Keith, Seabrook, Toews, Kane and Saad is still on the books.. We may be potentially losing . more good asssets due to albatross contracts on the team.

After Toews, Kane, Saad Anisimov - the highest paid forward is Schmaltz at 1.542 then Bouma at 1m...

If anything THIS would be a perfect time to compete with all the cheap productive ELCs on the roster BUT our stars (except Kane) have underperformed so badly, and the kids are the ones picking up the slack.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Flawed perception. This team has numerous holes, that aren't going to be filled without a couple really great draft picks. This team is also completely cap ****ed.... The reality is, they have to suck, nail a couple high draft picks, and ride out some guys on ELC contracts massively overperforming, to balance out contracts like Saad/Toews/Seabrook. There's just no other way in a league with a hard salary cap. Simply being competitive isn't good enough. They have to contend.
For Tkachuk!
Sure with the built up fan base the team has to do everything they can to make the playoffs.
The reality will soon be apparent however as mathematics will prevail and Stan will sell off a few pieces.
I just hope that the team gives it their collective all but it just isn't enough and we fall to somewhere in the top 10 for the draft ... I do believe we can contend again with this core!

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
The problem is when Dcat, Schmaltz, Forlsing, Duclair, Hartman, et all get their raises.. Keith, Seabrook, Toews, Kane and Saad is still on the books.. We may be potentially losing . more good asssets due to albatross contracts on the team.

After Toews, Kane, Saad Anisimov - the highest paid forward is Schmaltz at 1.542 then Bouma at 1m...

If anything THIS would be a perfect time to compete with all the cheap productive ELCs on the roster BUT our stars (except Kane) have underperformed so badly, and the kids are the ones picking up the slack.
The real question is the raises those youths are due. I don't see Hartman pulling much based on his play this year.

Even so, that just means it's really important that right now, the 'hawks are acquiring and developing assets properly--the ones that will hit their raises when TKKS are all coming off the books.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Yeah, the difference between these guys and the others we traded are the playoff contributions. These young guys should be easier to sign. We’re not that far off from Toews’ contract coming off the books. They should look to sign Schmaltz to a long term, big money deal though. Maybe something like 7M x 8 years. Obviously, I would take him cheaper than that but we need years more than AAV when it comes to him.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
if this was made for me, honestly I could care less about what type of fan a person is. I likely worded what I wanted to say wrong as I have never in my life rooted for the Hawks to lose- never. I think any hockey fan wants their team to win unless they want them to get moved to another city! lol! or...they are in the next McDavid/Eichel running.

I have been on here long enough to see every band wagoner there is - as long as you watch the game and have passion for it, I could care less - the more the merrier in loving the sport. But wanting your team to lose or miss the playoffs, that I do not get as NOTHING in sports is more exciting than playoff hockey - would have a hard void to fill without the Hawks in the PO's this year.

Most of my in-laws just realized that hockey was a sport in 2010, I love them just the same for it, it's not their fault their parents were ignorant bastards who never educated them on the greatest game on Earth!! Keep the Band wagon rollin'

Your comment spurned that but there's a lot of that around here. It was surprising coming from you so if that was not your intent, I give the benefit of the doubt, not that that's going to gain you any more sleep at night. :laugh:

Reactions: AmericanDream

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
The Hawks aren't going to give up, as much as most would like them to.
It looks on the ice like a lot of the players have given up, or at the very least are only going through the motions. We are outworked almost every game.

I have no problem with them playing Crow if he is healthy. I never want hockey to turn into what all the other sports have become, more than half the teams tanking for the future. I just dont want the Hawks to trade any assets in an effort to improve this years team. That would be foolish.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Your comment spurned that but there's a lot of that around here. It was surprising coming from you so if that was not your intent, I give the benefit of the doubt, not that that's going to gain you any more sleep at night. :laugh:

trust me BL, what your opinion of me most certainly keeps me up most nights!! Between you and Kim Kardashian, I don't know whose opinion I value more!! :laugh:

and yes I agree, there is still a lot of that going around. I do oddly see a lot of the throw in the towel coming from newer posters (those joining after 2012), so maybe that is where the talk and bias has been coming from..I dunno...either way, anyone talking hockey is a great thing, we are all fans, some just more serious than others. I just do not like the throw in the towel talk as long as we can reach out and see a playoff spot - which as tough as it may be, we still can.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
trust me BL, what your opinion of me most certainly keeps me up most nights!! Between you and Kim Kardashian, I don't know whose opinion I value more!! :laugh:

and yes I agree, there is still a lot of that going around. I do oddly see a lot of the throw in the towel coming from newer posters (those joining after 2012), so maybe that is where the talk and bias has been coming from..I dunno...either way, anyone talking hockey is a great thing, we are all fans, some just more serious than others. I just do not like the throw in the towel talk as long as we can reach out and see a playoff spot - which as tough as it may be, we still can.
throwing in the towel or not. Bhawks hockey ends when their is but 1 min in the final game of the season. where the team is mathematically out of the running or not. i was there at the stadium when it was less than half filled.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
It looks on the ice like a lot of the players have given up, or at the very least are only going through the motions. We are outworked almost every game.

I have no problem with them playing Crow if he is healthy. I never want hockey to turn into what all the other sports have become, more than half the teams tanking for the future. I just dont want the Hawks to trade any assets in an effort to improve this years team. That would be foolish.
there i have been saying this for a little while. the players have given up on the coach. no matter what needs to be done. he, the coach is part of the problem.

i saw this when the player rebel against Iron Mike Keenan.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

Ok, now that was just a cheap shot.

Low. Very low.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

When people joined these forums has nothing to do with how long they have been a fan, or how serious a fan they are.

It's not throw in the towel talk. It's reality. This team sucks. The veteran players have all but given up on this season. Pretty obvious watching the last two games. They don't care.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
When people joined these forums has nothing to do with how long they have been a fan, or how serious a fan they are.

It's not throw in the towel talk. It's reality. This team sucks. The veteran players have all but given up on this season. Pretty obvious watching the last two games. They don't care.

If that is the case then it is up to Bowman to make some moves and rid some of the "dead weight" you speak of...he has done the impossible with moving players/contracts...he can do it again if that is what it takes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad