Guelph Storm 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Watching game 1 of the finals and pondering what next year's lineup could look like.

The Storm should go after Hayton.

Ratcliffe/Hillis/Toropchenko
Primeau/Hayton/Schnarr
Ralph/Kirwin/Hawel
Bertuzzi/Collins/Poirier

Merkley/Samorukov
Lalonde/Chayka
Woolley/Aguanno

If the attitude could be adjusted this could be a contending lineup. I know that's a big "if", however, I'm looking forward to '18/'19.

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
Watching game 1 of the finals and pondering what next year's lineup could look like.

Primeau/Hayton/Schnarr
Ralph/Kirwin/Hawel
Bertuzzi/Collins/Poirier

Merkley/Samorukov
Lalonde/Chayka
Woolley/Aguanno

If the attitude could be adjusted this could be a contending lineup. I know that's a big "if", however, I'm looking forward to '18/'19.

Forget about Hayton, total Baby. Both Hayton and Frost have had a steady diet of Gadjovich, McKenzie, Sherwood, Smith and Stanley these playoffs and it shows. They are just fortunate to have 12 and 14 on their wings.

Best to wait and see who all is returned next year and target Villardi/Robertson, Thomas/Entwhistle and watch the Owen Sound situation closely to see if Ratcliffe can be reunited with Suzuki.

Chayka should be decent but cant see him being a top four next year like Vuks was with Kitchener (a top 3 pick in his NHL draft). The D would need to be shored up, Paquette/Brahaney (Kingston), Phillips (OS).

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017

Primeau/Hayton/Schnarr
Ralph/Kirwin/Hawel
Bertuzzi/Collins/Poirier

Merkley/Samorukov
Lalonde/Chayka
Woolley/Aguanno

I think Caruso is as good as last years captain ..if not better..but he'll get ignored ..heard trades in wind.. this team is a mess..7 not wanting to come back..TRADE?....this stuff doesn't come outa nothing..2nd D pick is excellent too... sure ... Merk for Hayton and prospect.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Forget about Hayton, total Baby. Both Hayton and Frost have had a steady diet of Gadjovich, McKenzie, Sherwood, Smith and Stanley these playoffs and it shows. They are just fortunate to have 12 and 14 on their wings.

Best to wait and see who all is returned next year and target Villardi/Robertson, Thomas/Entwhistle and watch the Owen Sound situation closely to see if Ratcliffe can be reunited with Suzuki.

Chayka should be decent but cant see him being a top four next year like Vuks was with Kitchener (a top 3 pick in his NHL draft). The D would need to be shored up, Paquette/Brahaney (Kingston), Phillips (OS).
Merk and coaching ' mgmt ownership ..for a bucket of pucks

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Hey Chico; why do you think there is a "situation" in Owen Sound?
I'm thinking if there are rumored problems in Guelph that there is a better chance to see Ratcliffe reunited with Suzuki in OS!

Molson Muscle

May 27, 2007
I think that the "situation" in Owen Sound would be that it should be a transitional year for the Attack with quite a few players graduating. Owen Sound may look to move some valuable pieces to restock the cupboards. Something Guelph failed to do a few years back and they paid for it.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I think that the "situation" in Owen Sound would be that it should be a transitional year for the Attack with quite a few players graduating. Owen Sound may look to move some valuable pieces to restock the cupboards. Something Guelph failed to do a few years back and they paid for it.

Should it be a transitional year for them though?

The Attack still return 12 forwards, 5 D (Durzi would make it 6) and they have a good young goalie moving forward. Of the returnees a core of,

Nick Suzuki
Kevin Hancock (OA)
Alan Lzayarchuk
Aidan Dudas
Maxsim Sushko
Markus Phillips
Brady Lyle

all return. I think worst case scenerio they would sell off. But there are quite a few teams taking a step back next year. No clear cut favorite in the west, might see them Re-tool.

Reactions: OHL insideout

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I was keeping quiet, but I agree on Owen Sound.

I could see them actually having a better record than the Storm, and depending on how the season shakes out, it might be just as likely Guelph deals Ratcliffe to OS to reunite him with Suzuki rather than the other way around.

I am nowhere near confident about this group next year. If everything breaks right, this team could again challenge for home ice in round one. If even some things don't go right, I could see this team getting ousted in round one or worse.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
I was keeping quiet, but I agree on Owen Sound.

I could see them actually having a better record than the Storm, and depending on how the season shakes out, it might be just as likely Guelph deals Ratcliffe to OS to reunite him with Suzuki rather than the other way around.

I am nowhere near confident about this group next year. If everything breaks right, this team could again challenge for home ice in round one. If even some things don't go right, I could see this team getting ousted in round one or worse.
IF .. as rumored and mentioned in a number of comments by fans who have some inside scoop..trades are acomin ..and 7 -players are asking to be traded... NO WAY are they minor players..and ORR told storm not to draft his clients. PLUS these mgmt idiots are stiff necked about Merk staying on D ..(reason I believe 7 want out.).I am going to write Storm office to tell them they are idiots..no more seasons tickets for me..what will they get in return for a great young bunch who want out..?..plus this team ...minus MERC is ready to make a good run.. thats over with if this hairball drama is played out..try 2000 fans per game and a bench full of lesser lights .. without solving the key problem.... MERKLEY..no agent in his right mind wants his client in this kind of BS atmosphere..WHY was our #1 pick not even interview after draft.... something REALLY stinks in palookaville!

Reactions: BarDownskie

lazyboy

Sponsor
May 24, 2010
Wallaceburg, Ontario
I agree with RCS. This past season was supposed to be their 'step up' year before being a serious contender next year. Once that didn't happen you have to think something is amiss with this group. It wouldn't be the first time a team didn't have a successful 'step up' year and followed through with contender status the next, but it certainly isn't common. Funny thing is I can't really put my finger on it (actually I can but I don't want to turn this into a Merkley bashing posting) but their forward group has scorers, diggers, skaters. Their D on an individual basis is what most teams would seek out - mobility. Goaltending was a surprise to me this past season and no issue there whatsoever. It's really just gelling as a unit because all the parts seem to be there.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
I agree with RCS. This past season was supposed to be their 'step up' year before being a serious contender next year. Once that didn't happen you have to think something is amiss with this group. It wouldn't be the first time a team didn't have a successful 'step up' year and followed through with contender status the next, but it certainly isn't common. Funny thing is I can't really put my finger on it (actually I can but I don't want to turn this into a Merkley bashing posting) but their forward group has scorers, diggers, skaters. Their D on an individual basis is what most teams would seek out - mobility. Goaltending was a surprise to me this past season and no issue there whatsoever. It's really just gelling as a unit because all the parts seem to be there.
if all this stuff goes down... Guelph won't even get close to playoffs next year.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
IF .. as rumored and mentioned in a number of comments by fans who have some inside scoop..trades are acomin ..and 7 -players are asking to be traded... NO WAY are they minor players..and ORR told storm not to draft his clients. PLUS these mgmt idiots are stiff necked about Merk staying on D ..(reason I believe 7 want out.).I am going to write Storm office to tell them they are idiots..no more seasons tickets for me..what will they get in return for a great young bunch who want out..?..plus this team ...minus MERC is ready to make a good run.. thats over with if this hairball drama is played out..try 2000 fans per game and a bench full of lesser lights .. without solving the key problem.... MERKLEY..no agent in his right mind wants his client in this kind of BS atmosphere..WHY was our #1 pick not even interview after draft.... something REALLY stinks in palookaville!

Will you give us an update when you hear back from the Storm office? I’d like to hear the response, as someone who isn’t in the know or has these connections to “inside scoop”. Many thanks.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
now trade #6.. or center him.. before he ruins himself or the draft status of this fine D..and others to come.prove me wrong storm mgmt.. I think you are a pack of maroons.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
now trade #6.. or center him.. before he ruins himself or the draft status of this fine D..and others to come.prove me wrong storm mgmt.. I think you are a pack of maroons.
AND .. I just addressed Burnett.. to clarify ..without patronizing the issues many like myself are concerned about....then this good news breaks forth .... .. still very suspicious of this team ownership .. mgmt.. if they can shoot themselves in the foot .. history lately has proved ...they will... IMO

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Will you give us an update when you hear back from the Storm office? I’d like to hear the response, as someone who isn’t in the know or has these connections to “inside scoop”. Many thanks.
no reply LV..just announcement about Chayka signing.. don't expect GM to respond..

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
I think now that the Memorial Cup is completed, the trade moratorium is over. It's time to see if the Storm decided to part with certain players. I know the moves I would make but they don't pay me to make those decisions. Changes will be coming, the trade winds are blowing.

Also if Burnett decides to relinquish the coach title and concentrate on GM duties.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
I think now that the Memorial Cup is completed, the trade moratorium is over. It's time to see if the Storm decided to part with certain players. I know the moves I would make but they don't pay me to make those decisions. Changes will be coming, the trade winds are blowing.

Also if Burnett decides to relinquish the coach title and concentrate on GM duties.
PULLLEASE.. BURNETT stay..?....thats like moving him up as a reward for totally messing this team up..who can they get for some probably really good futures on this team now who want out..some guys who are fire sale lessers..picks.. ?...trade # 6 .. or make him a center ... he might make NHL then.... here's a prediction ..keep 6 and ignore the elephant in the room ... and this team will not see playoffs for 2-3 years .... and depending on what GREAT young futures are gone...expect .. 2000 or less attendance... this franchise is sick..my seasons are DONE .

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
PULLLEASE.. BURNETT ...trade # 6 .. or make him a center ... he might make NHL then.... here's a prediction ..keep 6 and ignore the elephant in the room ... and this team will not see playoffs for 2-3 years .... a

If #6 stays, this team makes the playoffs.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad