Guelph Storm 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molson Muscle

May 27, 2007
Interesting that our first two picks are defensemen. It was stated that the draft approach was to take the best available. There has been so much conversation on this board about Merkley and there may be nothing to it but if the Storm were to make trades to change the culture of the team, having a couple higher profile defensemen drafted might be the approach.

Reactions: storm surge

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Interesting that our first two picks are defensemen. It was stated that the draft approach was to take the best available. There has been so much conversation on this board about Merkley and there may be nothing to it but if the Storm were to make trades to change the culture of the team, having a couple higher profile defensemen drafted might be the approach.
absolutely necessary.. the D was priority.. after 28...4...5...what's left?..I thought pick 27 was available .. was on another list as such.....is the Shoe still with us?

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
I like the picks so far, but can't say if they were BPA- Chico?
Chayka sounds like Samorukov 2.0 which is a good thing
Terry is a 'stay at home' D which we need
Collins and Smith are scorers.
Time will tell.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT

absolutely necessary.. the D was priority.. after 28...4...5...what's left?..I thought pick 27 was available .. was on another list as such.....is the Shoe still with us?

Trading Merkley could be an option, but I don't think they will. Taking defenceman early is probably just more of a sign that we really need some help back there.

As stated, we have just 3 returning guys (plus Aguanno who played a bit). Competition for those guys will be welcomed.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
More than 3 returning D:

Merkley, Samorukov, Lalonde, and Woolley if you don't count Aguanno. Definitely an area of need though. Hopefully these guys pan out. Curious why Lleyton Moore wasn't the first pick though. Not sure how his game compares to Chayka.

Molson Muscle

May 27, 2007
I guess I am of the opinion that if this team is serious about contending next year they would be bringing in one or two experienced defensemen to compliment the backend already. So although we have 4 or 5 returning defensemen if you include Aguanno by drafting defensemen high it will give better flexibility for player movement.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
More than 3 returning D:

Merkley, Samorukov, Lalonde, and Woolley if you don't count Aguanno. Definitely an area of need though. Hopefully these guys pan out. Curious why Lleyton Moore wasn't the first pick though. Not sure how his game compares to Chayka.

Fair, I forgot about Woolley. Point still stands as I'm not sure I would want to rely on Woolley to play a large role anyway.

Chayka sounds like what we need though. According to the OHL Preview guide he's a good skater, good size, cannon of a shot and actually knows how to play D.

Molson Muscle

May 27, 2007
Not sure but Scott was more visible around the arena this past year. Not sure what the dynamics are within the ownership group as I heard rumours of a divide going back a few years.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
More than 3 returning D:

oh; I count 3 ..plus a few mobile young D ..that looked good this year for ONE game ... but will be given no chance... and the enigma..6..

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Fair, I forgot about Woolley. Point still stands as I'm not sure I would want to rely on Woolley to play a large role anyway.

Chayka sounds like what we need though. According to the OHL Preview guide he's a good skater, good size, cannon of a shot and actually knows how to play D.
AND .. my spidey sense tells me..if the Orr rumor is true ....and also some asked for trade..this may be to keep Samorukov..if I were him and had to play with # 6 one more year....I'd freak..he absolutely ruins a stable D..and my =/- would be totally schizo.... wonder who told Storm not to draft them..who will report and if trades are coming.. definitely need one OA .. big mobile D..

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
I like the picks so far, but can't say if they were BPA- Chico?
Chayka sounds like Samorukov 2.0 which is a good thing
Terry is a 'stay at home' D which we need
Collins and Smith are scorers.
Time will tell.

Chayka and Terry are two good picks for the Storm. Two big body dmen who will play defence first, keep front of net clear, keep players to the outside, make good outlet passes, good shots and do not have the mind set to just leave their own zone at all times faster than a jack rabbit and get caught up ice.

Collins is unproven without Byfield, as he had played with him since peewee. He has a Pro Shot already but, not a helluva lot after that IMO. He can also be undisciplined at times, hoping for the best here. I would have liked to see them take Halliday from the Marlies, 6'3, 207, who finished fourth in GTHL scoring or even Portokalis who finished fifth, the Captain of Don Mills.

I would say at least the Storm draft this year was Fair, and not a flop as in the Kelly era.

Molson Muscle

May 27, 2007
Keep thinking that if there are to be trades to address team chemistry and possible issues. Could Mississauga be a viable trade partner. I think that they would be looking to move some assets to reload for future years. Merkley = Hague be the core of a possible move that might address both teams needs. Just an opinion.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Keep thinking that if there are to be trades to address team chemistry and possible issues. Could Mississauga be a viable trade partner. I think that they would be looking to move some assets to reload for future years. Merkley = Hague be the core of a possible move that might address both teams needs. Just an opinion.
you guys are pretty shrewd dealers... after we gave Michnac up..????.. sounds good .. but add a late 1st rounder and a bucket of pucks and we'll talk..

Molson Muscle

May 27, 2007
Just looking at possible trade partners and what might be the principle pieces. We are looking for a veteran impact defenseman and assuming Mississauga would want players with some time still left in the league. Kingston may be another possible trade partner dependant on who returns next season for them.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Just looking at possible trade partners and what might be the principle pieces. We are looking for a veteran impact defenseman and assuming Mississauga would want players with some time still left in the league. Kingston may be another possible trade partner dependant on who returns next season for them.
Hague sounds intriguing.. but for one year...might require a wee bit more.. but I think he is exactly what Storm needs.to anchor a great D.

BarDownskie

Feb 3, 2018
You are right I was going off the draft year (late birthdate). Thought he was a "99". Well at least that is the type of move that I would like to see.

I made the same mistake on the Mississauga thread. I would like too still see him in the OHL next year for an OA year. His defensive side (mostly footspeed) and outlet passes need a little more seasoning. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad