Guelph Storm 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
A rumour going around the rink during the playoffs was that 7 players approached the team about being traded before the start of next year. Anyone hear anything that would put credence to this, is it in fact true? Also heard that Bobby Orr's agency has told the Storm not to draft any of their players in the OHL draft because they won't report.

Hope they are just a rumour and not true, would be a real blow to the franchise.

It would be interesting to know if there is a common denominator to that many players and a player agency commenting in a similar vein. If so, get rid of the common denominator, be it a player or staff, or an owner.
Seems like it should be a pretty easy process to find out what the issues are, if this rumour has any weight to it at all.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
It would be interesting to know if there is a common denominator to that many players and a player agency commenting in a similar vein. If so, get rid of the common denominator, be it a player or staff, or an owner.
Seems like it should be a pretty easy process to find out what the issues are, if this rumour has any weight to it at all.
doesn't surprise me at all...

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
as they say..where there's smoke...... there's fire..

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Living Vicariously usually if the rumour is true when it comes out it's one bad apple and not a group thing causing turmoil. These types of issues are on every team from time to time and get rectified by trading the offending player in most cases. Looking at the Storm in the last series I think they will be a team on the rise and will have a great season next year. They had their three OAs but only one 19 year old.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Living Vicariously usually if the rumour is true when it comes out it's one bad apple and not a group thing causing turmoil. These types of issues are on every team from time to time and get rectified by trading the offending player in most cases. Looking at the Storm in the last series I think they will be a team on the rise and will have a great season next year. They had their three OAs but only one 19 year old.
they're in denial at the top..they'll just plod on in their denial.. its been a common characteristic last few years..can they pull outa the dive?... maybe..

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Just saw this rumor posted. Historically, top prospects don't like playing for Burnett or Stan Butler. They are hard on players and people think they depress players numbers by playing defensive hockey, therefore, hurting their draft stock.

There could be other issues at play, but my guess is that would be the primary one. Not liking one teammate or fellow player isn't usually that big an issue.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Just saw this rumor posted. Historically, top prospects don't like playing for Burnett or Stan Butler. They are hard on players and people think they depress players numbers by playing defensive hockey, therefore, hurting their draft stock.

There could be other issues at play, but my guess is that would be the primary one. Not liking one teammate or fellow player isn't usually that big an issue.

This jives with what I had heard about Butler specifically when he was in Brampton. Not surprised to see Burnett in that same category.

It's no fun watching Burnett's teams play his style, so it's no wonder players don't want to play in it - especially now that there is such a premium (especially in the pros) on offensive creativity. Burnett needs to get with the times and adjust his style - not like he's had much if any recent success with it - or else the team needs to look to someone different.

I didn't like the hire when they made it, and I haven't seen anything to make me change my mind. That said, I'm not holding my breath.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
eU-Y3TPv_bigger.jpg
OntarioHockeyLeague‏Verified account @Ohlhockey 17h17 hours ago

Best of luck to all graduating
@Storm_City players in future pro and academic pursuits and congrats to the newest members of the #OHLAlumni family
@jmcewan97, @gmcfadden27, @shoemakerr5
for the success achieved throughout their collective 776 game careers:

https://bit.ly/2uK8QL4
pic.twitter.com/Cq0r5NbsbA
DZ5RIipUQAAdRkG.jpg

Reactions: storm surge

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This jives with what I had heard about Butler specifically when he was in Brampton. Not surprised to see Burnett in that same category.

It's no fun watching Burnett's teams play his style, so it's no wonder players don't want to play in it - especially now that there is such a premium (especially in the pros) on offensive creativity. Burnett needs to get with the times and adjust his style - not like he's had much if any recent success with it - or else the team needs to look to someone different.

I didn't like the hire when they made it, and I haven't seen anything to make me change my mind. That said, I'm not holding my breath.
Yeah, it would be my guess that its a result of coaching. It is not like the other obvious knocks of why players want to avoid Guelph really apply. Its not far from the GTA, it is not plagued by horrific ownership and such. Its not London or Windsor in terms of reputation or facilities but its not like its Flint or Sudbury who players try to avoid at all costs.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

I disagree with your one team mate issue. Rangers had an issue a couple of years back and I believe that player was traded. You have had concerns about Merkley in past posts. Rangers also had Downie who was basically out of control and allowed to continue. One player being either negative about his ice or others ice time can disrupt a team hugely if it's allowed to fester. Also some players have attitude that is enabled by a coach for one reason or other and that can disrupt the whole team.
I do agree about the defensive coaching holding players back offensively and the coaches mentioned are famous for that issue.

Reactions: storm surge

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I disagree with your one team mate issue. Rangers had an issue a couple of years back and I believe that player was traded. They also had Downie who was basically out of control and allowed to continue. One player being either negative about his ice or others ice time can disrupt a team hugely if it's allowed to fester. Also some players have attitude that is enabled by a coach for one reason or other and that can disrupt the whole team.
I do agree about the defensive coaching holding players back offensively and the coaches mentioned are famous for that issue.
I don't think one player would lead to an entire agency advising kids not to report. Now, I can see why a disruptive player in the dressing room could lead to players wanting out. But, with Guelph its pretty obvious who it would be, and I don't think someone's presence there for 2 more years would lead to kids not reporting from this class.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
I disagree with your one team mate issue. Rangers had an issue a couple of years back and I believe that player was traded. You have had concerns about Merkley in past posts. Rangers also had Downie who was basically out of control and allowed to continue. One player being either negative about his ice or others ice time can disrupt a team hugely if it's allowed to fester. Also some players have attitude that is enabled by a coach for one reason or other and that can disrupt the whole team.
bingo.. the enigma..6..is as bad as he is good..if i was D with him .. I would be really concerned for my career..constantly covering his mistakes and weaknesses..while everyone coos about him when something actually works..Why would a man like B. Orr refuse his clients come here..because they could be ruined here..and guys wanting to leave makes perfect sense..changes are needed..top to bottom.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
One thing these agencies track pretty closely is their player's draft ranking projected from Midget right through to their NHL draft year. And if there is a trend for it to drop in a given city/with a given coach, they will definitely avoid that city with their high end kids who have leverage. I'm not saying that's the case with Guelph, but might be a factor.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Orr knows defence .. he was da best.... he can smell something.. somethins just not right in palookaville... if this is true ,, it will taint the whole operation here and many others will listen to his lead..things should be verrry interesting this summer..

Reactions: Tim Wallach

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
Just a quick note to thank our OAs from this past season. Garrett you were a huge asset, not only in 2017-18, but the past years as well. Coming to a club as strong as the 2013-2014 was a teaching year for you, the rest showed that you took that education and ran with it. It must have been difficult in the next years as success was a fleeting thing for the Storm. Your leadership on and off the ice have been impressive and I applaud you. Setting up McFadden's Movement struck a cord with me and I was impressed with the accomplishments and monies for mental health organizations. Good luck in the future in whatever you do. James McEwan your future is also bright, diversity is a good skill to have and you've showed over the years both offensively and back on defense. Good luck with the Canadiens organization. Mark I totally enjoyed your work over the past year in Guelph, being the only everyday defenceman to not be in the minus numbers was quite accomplishment on this team. Although you only spent one year here it was great to have you. Good luck in the future be it continuing with, hockey or going the school.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
So the following is just speculation on my part but something to think about going into tomorrow.

Tony Saxon released two articles today one an interview with Burnett about the draft and another stating don't sugar coat it this season was not a success and some of the changes the team needs to make if they want to make a run next year as was intended.

George seems adamant that the Storm will take the best player available at 7th overall tomorrow regardless if said player has NCAA commitments.
Is it possible the team takes a kid like a Power or Perfetti who is unlikely to commit then declare him defective this fall and trade him for assets that can be dealt to load up for a run next spring? Then the Storm get 2 picks in the first round next year.
They already own picks 36 and 38 this year so they could grab a couple players there that could crack the lineup this fall with no first rounder here.
George also said the team has 19 picks tomorrow and between now and then might trade some for picks in future drafts seeing as the team doesn't have many open spots this fall even if some vets move on.

Just something to think about as a possibility.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017

So the following is just speculation on my part but something to think about going into tomorrow.

Tony Saxon released two articles today one an interview with Burnett about the draft and another stating don't sugar coat it this season was not a success and some of the changes the team needs to make if they want to make a run next year as was intended.

George seems adamant that the Storm will take the best player available at 7th overall tomorrow regardless if said player has NCAA commitments.
Is it possible the team takes a kid like a Power or Perfetti who is unlikely to commit then declare him defective this fall and trade him for assets that can be dealt to load up for a run next spring? Then the Storm get 2 picks in the first round next year.
They already own picks 36 and 38 this year so they could grab a couple players there that could crack the lineup this fall with no first rounder here.
George also said the team has 19 picks tomorrow and between now and then might trade some for picks in future drafts seeing as the team doesn't have many open spots this fall even if some vets move on.

another typical dough head move..no open spots ... on D .. ??..are you kidding me?..this plus ORR rumour spell one thing to me..we have a bunch of morons running this team.... oh ya ;; congrats to Hillis..

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
another typical dough head move..no open spots ... on D .. ??..are you kidding me?..this plus ORR rumour spell one thing to me..we have a bunch of morons running this team.... oh ya ;; congrats to Hillis..

Yeah my idea is stupid as opposed to every other post you make about making Merkley a centre.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

That would only work if that player wanted to play in the OHL for a particular team. ie- a Max Domi type situation. However, if it was a Jacob Tortora situation, all the Barrie Colts got for drafting him, an NCAA commit, and dealing his rights as a defective player was a 15th round pick from Rangers. There were three conditional 2nds that never materialized because he never reported to the Rangers.

So to be honest, the Colts drafting him merely delayed their adding a first round talent to their roster by a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->