Guelph Storm 2015-16 Season Thread (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Well, it's been real everyone. Here's to only better and brighter beyond today now that the season has mercifully ended.

Congrats to the good soldiers on here for sticking with it and mostly managing to preach the positives. Though we may not have often seen things eye to eye, I'm truly a more well rounded fan for reading everyone's -well, almost everyone's lol - opinion.

I hope to see you all on these boards at least periodically over the summer and look forward to some positive discussions on here leading into 16/17.

While I'll likely be posting through the summer, just wanted to thank everyone for posting and to wish you all a wonderful summer.

The countdown to a new beginning begins now, with sights set on April 9.

Thanks Storm for another memorable year, even though it might not have gone according to plan.

Prediction game final results will be posted tomorrow.

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
Does anyone know where I can find a list of draft picks for the upcoming priority selection?

Thanks

The OHL website should release a 2016 Priority Selection Information Guide with all eligible skaters the week prior to the draft.

Based on play this week at the OHL Cup, I am sure that a large percentage of the following players will be drafted.

Forwards

Thomas, Holmes, Goldowski, McShane, Nizhnikov, Littlejohn, Antropov, Playfair, Tinmouth, Moncada, Popov, Leishman, Holland, Weiss, Falls, Baker, MacDougal, Natasiuk, Loon-Stewards, Dunkley, Alexeev, Jensen, Clarke, Hill, Bitten, Vucko, McBain, Buckley, Biasi, McConville, Kirwin, Little, Hayami, Gendunov, Nofs, D'Agostino, Paul, Pletzke, Giroux, Hillis, Denault, Robitaille, Green, Sherwin, Colwell, Anderson, Gaudreau, Rhodes, Hoelscher, Gritz, Maia, Brown, Paschalis, Adams, Moro, Yan, Troutman, Grouix, Kraljevic, Edwards, Wismer, Crawford, McMaster, Lepone, Theriault, Taylor, Kirbis, Pringle, Devereaux, DeGazon, Whitaker, Mansurov, Peca, Hayton, Suzuki, Maclean, Guest, Harrison, Bowman, D'Amico, Vail, Massi, Brothers, Winkler, Huisman, Cole, Muskal, Grigg, Weir, Klaise, Scott, Dorfman, Jacklin, Schmidt, Kula, Patterson, McKeown, Wall, Steele, Dokis-Dupuis.

Defence

Merkley, Bahl, Lalonde, Mailhot, Stratis, Fantauzzi, Dejong, Dineen, Semin, Spadafore, Hardy, Aguanno, Giroday, McPherson, McBay, Rupoli, Templeton, Regula, Forget, Corcoran, Raspanti, Stadig, Roy, MacDonald, Crowe, Gordon, Lindeman, Henderson, Chisholm, Robertson, Horvath, Raposo, King, Boon, Mackie, Gravelle, Duff, Walker, Wiseman, Tucker, Wright, Messina, LeDonne, Rouleau, Johnson, Simpson, Cranston, Russel, Carrick, Pizzuto.

Goalies

Berezinskly, Tang, Purboo, Mayhew, Nelson, Lukic, Vandette, Watson, Pillon, Mattiace, Miceli, Sheppard, Molony, Torchia, Simpson, Morrison, Cugini, O'Leary, Adams, Ingham.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Welp. Of course. We have a tie!

I guess I should have held off picking so early so Watcher didn't know which way I was going. Oh well!

TOTAL

stormfan11 9
noobie1 37
StormSurge9 26
OHLFanFriendly 28
battfan888 39
RoyalCitySlicker 53
Fudgeo 13
StormWatcher 53
StormLifer 51

I'll have to figure out some sort of tie breaker - any ideas?

Either way....thanks everyone for playing. I hope to do the same again next year, and hope that more people take the time to participate!

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014

I guess I should have held off picking so early so Watcher didn't know which way I was going. Oh well!

TOTAL

stormfan11 9
noobie1 37
StormSurge9 26
OHLFanFriendly 28
battfan888 39
RoyalCitySlicker 53
Fudgeo 13
StormWatcher 53
StormLifer 51

Either way....thanks everyone for playing. I hope to do the same again next year, and hope that more people take the time to participate!

who can guess the top 3 picks in the draft closest to actual....

mcreferee

Jun 6, 2011
Well, it's been real everyone. Here's to only better and brighter beyond today now that the season has mercifully ended.

Congrats to the good soldiers on here for sticking with it and mostly managing to preach the positives. Though we may not have often seen things eye to eye, I'm truly a more well rounded fan for reading everyone's -well, almost everyone's lol - opinion.

I hope to see you all on these boards at least periodically over the summer and look forward to some positive discussions on here leading into 16/17.

While I'll likely be posting through the summer, just wanted to thank everyone for posting and to wish you all a wonderful summer.

The countdown to a new beginning begins now, with sights set on April 9.

Thanks Storm for another memorable year, even though it might not have gone according to plan.

Prediction game final results will be posted tomorrow.

I'll quote this one, although I have a number of points to make (all positive). Let me start by saying, that I too, enjoy reading everyone's opinions and insights. I will endeavour to post more, but sometimes the obvious has already been stated.

I'll echo your comments on the team not being more transparent with the management / coaching situation, more so the GM position. I'd assume there is not going to be a change at this point, especially with how important it is this team get it right at the draft. There are also a large number of decisions to be made on the current roster...its hard to single out players and post publicly that you think they should be cut loose, but I guess that's the nature of the forum boards.

For me, I believe the following forwards should be back...McEwan, Smith, Sicoly and all the 99's. Beyond that everyone is fighting for spots. Considering that there will be two imports to add (most likely forwards) and other draft picks from this year in the mix, there will only be a few spots to fight for.

On the back end I think the following five should return McFadden, Carroll, Garcia, Rhodes and Hanna. Considering the first overall pick will most likely be a defenceman (Merkley or Wilde...if he'll report), the rest are fighting for jobs. That said...might be a trade or two.

As for goaltending...an OA in by trade with Popovich perhaps??
My thoughts to begin the off season...time will tell.

Who knows, maybe I'll even play in the prediction pool next year :)

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
FWIW, as a fan of another team I have no doubt in my mind Guelph will be back in the good books/a winning club in a few years. Such a quality organization and fan base!

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I'll quote this one, although I have a number of points to make (all positive). Let me start by saying, that I too, enjoy reading everyone's opinions and insights. I will endeavour to post more, but sometimes the obvious has already been stated.

I'll echo your comments on the team not being more transparent with the management / coaching situation, more so the GM position. I'd assume there is not going to be a change at this point, especially with how important it is this team get it right at the draft. There are also a large number of decisions to be made on the current roster...its hard to single out players and post publicly that you think they should be cut loose, but I guess that's the nature of the forum boards.

For me, I believe the following forwards should be back...McEwan, Smith, Sicoly and all the 99's. Beyond that everyone is fighting for spots. Considering that there will be two imports to add (most likely forwards) and other draft picks from this year in the mix, there will only be a few spots to fight for.

On the back end I think the following five should return McFadden, Carroll, Garcia, Rhodes and Hanna. Considering the first overall pick will most likely be a defenceman (Merkley or Wilde...if he'll report), the rest are fighting for jobs. That said...might be a trade or two.

As for goaltending...an OA in by trade with Popovich perhaps??
My thoughts to begin the off season...time will tell.

Who knows, maybe I'll even play in the prediction pool next year :)

In terms of your roster, I agree almost 100%!

I think Burghardt has done enough to cement a spot for next year. I know he's small, but he sort of reminds me of a poor man's Pius Suter. That said, I'd be open to a trade of some sort, but I don't think he falls into the "release/just get rid of" group. Will depend on what is added in the draft and the import draft.

In terms of the org being a little more transparent, and in keeping with the theme of the upcoming draft(s), wouldn't it be nice if the team released something outlining the picks they currently held? I would think that would be pretty simple to put together. I know the OHL will publish a list with their draft package, but why not beat them to the punch - we need something to argue about!

You goal tending idea is the same as mine. Perhaps they could parlay one of the extra D into an OA goalie? I'd rather them not give up picks.

As for playing the prediction game - the more the merrier! As long as you aren't very good at it ;)

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Okay so I went through past deals (via trade releases on website) and worked out a list of picks. It might not be 100% but should be close. * is conditional picks, I also didn't bother to include the conditionals in the Fabbri deal as that seems quite unlikely. I also stupidly didn't keep track of which picks were which deal, but I can take a best guess if anyone is curious.

2016:

1st - GUE
2nd - PET
3rd - GUE, FLNT
4th - SAR
5th - GUE
6th - GUE, LDN
7th - GUE, HAM
8th - GUE
9th - GUE
10th - SAR
11th - GUE
12th - GUE
13th - GUE
14th - GUE
15th - GUE

2017:

1st - GUE
2nd - BAR
3rd - GUE, PET, SAR, OSH
4th - GUE
5th - GUE
6th - GUE
7th - GUE
8th -
9th - GUE
10th - GUE, WSR
11th - GUE
12th - GUE
13th - GUE
14th - GUE
15th -

2018:

1st - GUE
2nd - PET, WSR, BAR
3rd - GUE, NIA
4th - GUE
5th - OSH
6th - GUE
7th - GUE
8th - OTT
9th - GUE
10th - GUE
11th - GUE
12th - GUE
13th - GUE
14th - GUE
15th - GUE

2019:

1st - GUE
2nd - GUE, PET, WSR
3rd - GUE
4th - GUE, NIA*
5th - BAR
6th - GUE
7th - GUE
8th - GUE
9th - GUE
10th - GUE
11th - GUE
12th - GUE
13th - GUE
14th - GUE
15th - GUE

2020:

1st - GUE
2nd - GUE
3rd - GUE, KIT, NIA*
4th - GUE
5th - GUE
6th - GUE
7th - GUE
8th - GUE
9th - GUE
10th - GUE, BAR
11th - GUE
12th - GUE
13th - GUE
14th - GUE
15th - GUE

mcreferee

Jun 6, 2011
In terms of your roster, I agree almost 100%!

I think Burghardt has done enough to cement a spot for next year. I know he's small, but he sort of reminds me of a poor man's Pius Suter. That said, I'd be open to a trade of some sort, but I don't think he falls into the "release/just get rid of" group. Will depend on what is added in the draft and the import draft.

In terms of the org being a little more transparent, and in keeping with the theme of the upcoming draft(s), wouldn't it be nice if the team released something outlining the picks they currently held? I would think that would be pretty simple to put together. I know the OHL will publish a list with their draft package, but why not beat them to the punch - we need something to argue about!

You goal tending idea is the same as mine. Perhaps they could parlay one of the extra D into an OA goalie? I'd rather them not give up picks.

As for playing the prediction game - the more the merrier! As long as you aren't very good at it ;)

Using the positions from the roster on the OHL website...the situation would look like this. (I know these players do not necessarily play in these positions, but it is their listed position)

Centers
McEwan (97), Burghardt (97), Schnarr (99), Deakin-Poot (99), Ralph (99)
Left Wing
Ratcliffe (99), Sicoly (98), L. Stevens (99)
Right Wing
Smith (98)

Thats nine returning forwards without including Hotchkiss or Bricknell, two who merit some discussion, although opinions will vary. If I'm the GM (and I'm not) I'm looking for two imports with size and skill who can contribute offensively (shouldn't be too difficult ;)) So, if Hotchkiss and Bricknell are included thats 13 forwards if no trades are made. Philips would be one I'd like to see have another year of development, especially with his size and power forward potential...so now we're at 14 forwards.

Once again, this team will be super young. Only returning OA is Garcia and there are only five 97s, with the bulk on defense. Trading one of them might make sense except it makes the team that much younger.

Based on picks the team has in this year's draft, there is the potential for 3-4 more bodies with the first overall pick being a lock if they report.

Last edited:

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Using the positions from the roster on the OHL website...the situation would look like this. (I know these players do not necessarily play in these positions, but it is their listed position)

Centers
Left Wing
Right Wing
Smith (98)

Thats nine returning forwards without including Hotchkiss or Bricknell, two who merit some discussion, although opinions will vary. If I'm the GM (and I'm not) I'm looking for two imports with size and skill who can contribute offensively (shouldn't be too difficult ;)) So, if Hotchkiss and Bricknell are included thats 13 forwards if no trades are made. Philips would be one I'd like to see have another year of development, especially with his size and power forward potential...so now we're at 14 forwards.

Once again, this team will be super young. Only returning OA is Garcia and there are only five 97s, with the bulk on defense. Trading one of them might make sense except it makes the team that much younger.

Based on picks the team has in this year's draft, there is the potential for 3-4 more bodies with the first overall pick being a lock if they report.

Fair enough....looking at it that way, perhaps there isn't room. I mean I think you could easily move either NDP or Burghardt to the Wing, but it looks more like overall roster space is the issue.

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to look at a 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 type deal. Gotta thin the herd at some point looking at the number of players looking for a spot.

Strange that for a team that finished last, there would be so little room on the roster :sarcasm:

Looking at what you posted however, that might just be the case.

mcreferee

Jun 6, 2011
Coach

Saxon has tweeted that it looks like Skalde will be back as coach. One would have to think GMMK is the one leading those discussions...if GMMK is not returning you'd think the new GM would want to hire their own coach.

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
Saxon has tweeted that it looks like Skalde will be back as coach. One would have to think GMMK is the one leading those discussions...if GMMK is not returning you'd think the new GM would want to hire their own coach.

to me there are too many things going on right now that are of such importance going forward that I have to think Mike Kelly is already resigned for next year. Especially now with word that they are negotiating with Skalde. You are correct in that if another GM were coming in they would want to bring in there own guys...
i would venture to guess, Kelly is signed....

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Guelph fans.
I understand your team has planned a draft ' party' April 9.

The Attack has done this a number of years now, providing comp bevys, donuts,muffins and lunch.

They provide draft day prospect guides, Internet connections , a projector and big screen, and GM Degray comes in for Q+A after the 3rd, 6th and9 th rd. Many follow along with guides and laptops

Most years, for those who stick around, comes the opportunity to greet the first round pick and his family in person.

It is an exciting day for us die hards, and helps build some excitement.

Glad to see the Storm do this -not sure who else does.

They usually get 50-60 at it in the sound.

Enjoy!!

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013

TOTAL

stormfan11 9
noobie1 37
StormSurge9 26
OHLFanFriendly 28
battfan888 39
RoyalCitySlicker 53
Fudgeo 13
StormWatcher 53
StormLifer 51

What, no PPG tie breaker? (c;

Seriously though, thanks for creating a game within the game.

mcreferee

Jun 6, 2011

Centers
Left Wing
Right Wing
Smith (98)

Oh...I forgot to add the mysterious previously drafted American player Saxon tweeted could be close to signing with the team. If that's Gallant, puts the team at 15 forwards...if its Farrance that would change the dynamic of the back end quite a bit. Could it be Tomeo...who would pair with Popovich for a complete rookie duo? The possibilities are endless.

Molson Muscle

May 27, 2007
For what it is worth. The message I got when I was at Friday's game was that Mike Kelly and the coaching staff were both returning next year. It was arena chatter so I wasn't sure how much credibility it had. I was at the OHL Cup and both Skalde and Kelly were there which was encouraging.

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
Oh...I forgot to add the mysterious previously drafted American player Saxon tweeted could be close to signing with the team. If that's Gallant, puts the team at 15 forwards...if its Farrance that would change the dynamic of the back end quite a bit. Could it be Tomeo...who would pair with Popovich for a complete rookie duo? The possibilities are endless.
Tony said it was not Tomeo .

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
So I finally got home from the Soo yesterday and I was too freaking tired to post my thoughts but here it goes as far as the weekend and the future.

Figures, Saturday I had a wedding to attend in Frankenmuth about 20 minutes away from Flint and couldn't attend the game and the boys pull out a win like I figured they would against the birds. We drove up to the Soo Sunday morning, wasn't expecting a win but hoping at least for a close game which we didn't get.

The centre ice scoreclock was broken so they had a small one setup at the penalty box facing the benches which thank god we were sitting on that side. When there were penalties they would tape a piece of paper with the time the player would come out of the box written on it, pretty hilarious.
Storm didn't play that badly in the first and were only down 2-1, it was feeling much like the game they had against the Hounds 2 weeks prior back in Guelph.
Then the 2nd period happened and they fell behind 4-1 very quick. As soon as the Storm made it 4-2 Philips took a pretty dumb penalty and its 5-2 followed up by a quick 6-2 goal and the game was out of reach at that point, 8-3 final.

I am never one to go see the player after a game as I usually try to steer clear but everybody else in my group wanted to go see. Skalde came out and thanked us for coming all that way which was pretty cool, I asked him why no Giugovaz on his final day and he said he knew once we got down 6-2 it was gonna be an ugly score and he didn't want Giggys career to end on a downer after getting the win the night before.

Only need to see the Storm play in Ottawa and Oshawa now after I had already done all 20 with Brampton years ago.

Anyway with only Harris and Giugovaz gone some players who are eligible to be back have got to go with an influx of young players on their way in.

You gotta imagine at least 3 kids who get drafted on April 9 will suit up this fall (I think 4 is the max correct?) Then 2 more out of the Euro draft.
So first easy cut to me is Mieritz, nothing exactly wrong with him but he does take a Euro spot and he didn't exactly bring a whole lot to the Storm in my opinion, he was a body and was there, thats about all I can say about him.

That still leaves Guelph with 7 D and more than likely we are taking a D first overall and with Hanna probably getting a regular spot next year that leaves at least 1 other current regular who will need to go. (This doesnt even count Brock Philips who is even listed as a forward now after starting as a D)
Perhaps the Storm can get something if they trade away Garcia or McFadden at some point? McFadden would probably slot into a 3-4 spot on a solid team making a run.
Marc Stevens looked very emotional after the game in the Soo on Sunday, could he perhaps be on the way out after 3 seasons?

Of course there is the whole goaltending question, Giggy is gone and BVS basically said he wasn't coming back, does the team go with a pair of 17 year olds or do they try and get another temporary stop gap like a Giggy 2.0 to mentor a 17 year old that actually gets some starts and doesn't ride the bench all season?

Lots of questions to be answered.
I took in some of the OHL Cup on Friday, man did Nizhiknov look amazing, something that was clearly missing with the Storm this year, but I'd imagine going at #1 overall they are going with the best player period, rumours of the team being interested in Wilde or Jenkins while thescout.ca's mock draft has Merkley going first.

Who would you guys want us to take first?
We need help everywhere

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
There will definitely be a lot of players on there way out to make way for the 2000 draftees, who will be the nucleus of the new team along with the '99's. I agree with others who stated that the "older" forwards that will stay are McEwan, Smith, Burghardt and Sicoly. I love this though because it should mean more of a meritocracy. With more options, the quality will improve.

As far as the draft, it could work out perfectly if they can get Hischier with the import spot - that meets top 6 forward need. That leaves the top D for April 9th... I can't hazard a guess as to the top D (Merkley or Wilde) as I haven't seen enough of either to compare. I like what I've seen of Hanna and Schnarr this season... can't wait for the drafts and next season (though I'm not wishing the summer away.)

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
There will definitely be a lot of players on there way out to make way for the 2000 draftees, who will be the nucleus of the new team along with the '99's. I agree with others who stated that the "older" forwards that will stay are McEwan, Smith, Burghardt and Sicoly. I love this though because it should mean more of a meritocracy. With more options, the quality will improve.

As far as the draft, it could work out perfectly if they can get Hischier with the import spot - that meets top 6 forward need. That leaves the top D for April 9th... I can't hazard a guess as to the top D (Merkley or Wilde) as I haven't seen enough of either to compare. I like what I've seen of Hanna and Schnarr this season... can't wait for the drafts and next season (though I'm not wishing the summer away.)
Why why dose it always have to be s Swiss player. Do they not scout other Europeans

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Why why dose it always have to be s Swiss player. Do they not scout other Europeans

It doesn't "have" to be a Swiss player... Hischier is a prospect being watched for the 2017 NHL draft and would be sought after regardless of nationality. The Euro draft is unique, however, in that you DON'T have a bunch of scouts over there watching euro leagues. It's a lot about relationships which is why you see teams work with the same agents/countries frequently. It happens everywhere.

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014

Nobody answer this, go back to last seasons thread and see how many pages were wasted on "why does it always have to be a swiss" it is a losing battle!!!

Molson Muscle

May 27, 2007
Taking a look at the framework for how this roster will look next year. I agree with everyone that there will be quite a few players not back next year.

If you go with the idea that the team will carry approximately 8 defence and 14 forwards. They have 8 defence eligible to return next year and 15 forwards.

Add to this group 3 players minimum from this years draft which I think will be 1 defenseman and 2 forwards. Plus 2 imports picks and the possible signing of an American prospect. Which for arguments sake are all forwards that puts you at 9 defensemen and 20 forwards. You could also see the Storm sign other prospects from previous draft classes. So you at minimum will have 1 defenseman and 6 forwards not returning as well as a goaltending team.

Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
Taking a look at the framework for how this roster will look next year. I agree with everyone that there will be quite a few players not back next year.

If you go with the idea that the team will carry approximately 8 defence and 14 forwards. They have 8 defence eligible to return next year and 15 forwards.

Add to this group 3 players minimum from this years draft which I think will be 1 defenseman and 2 forwards. Plus 2 imports picks and the possible signing of an American prospect. Which for arguments sake are all forwards that puts you at 9 defensemen and 20 forwards. You could also see the Storm sign other prospects from previous draft classes. So you at minimum will have 1 defenseman and 6 forwards not returning as well as a goaltending team.

Should be interesting to see how this plays out.
Enviable position to be in a position where you have so much youth being injected into the team.... Not so enviable position for the GM and Coaches to be in that have to make some really tough decisions...
Great news for the future of this team though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad