Guelph Storm 2015-16 Season Thread (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
Lol! No one responds to me when I do, or when I post stats or whatever.

I've tried to get some discussion going while being a little more constructive and less negative, but to no avail.

Could be that the care level of most fans is sort of at an all time low right now, or it could be that everyone has just tuned me out.

Either way, I was tired of posting and feeling like I was only talking to myself, lol.

Here's hoping the Storm can put one in the W column before season's end - Friday would be a nice time for that!

Well, then that is partially my fault for not always responding, sometimes i am lazy and just like to read other peoples thoughts without contributing mine, other times i like contributing mine. Whether i alwys agree with you or not, your opinion is always well thought out.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Well, then that is partially my fault for not always responding, sometimes i am lazy and just like to read other peoples thoughts without contributing mine, other times i like contributing mine. Whether i alwys agree with you or not, your opinion is always well thought out.

Not your fault at all! It's no ones.

As I said, I think at this point of the season a lot of people have tuned out - I don't blame them, but I'm not one of them.

Even in losing, I still love talking about the players and the league but I know a lot of people don't like talking about the negative (which there has been a lot of this year) and would prefer waiting until things get better before jumping in again with two feet. I get it, I just don't share that mindset.

I'd love to have a discussion about where this team is going, what it's needs are and where it's strengths lie, but like I said, I just don't think there is an appetite for it right now. It's not been a great year for us Storm fans, but it's also what you make of it. Personally, I'd prefer to keep talking about stuff (even if some think it's "harping") and running games to keep people interested..others would prefer to wait until the team warrants their attention again. Different strokes for different folks. Earlier in the year I tried (perhaps passive aggressively) to get people engaged, but now I'm just stepping back and seeing where things go.

I'm sure if and when this team turns it around, this place will be buzzing again, much like it was during the Storm's run to the Memorial Cup.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
"If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say it"

Kind of sums up many of my thoughts this year. There is a TON of work that needs to be done before this team contends again.

Anyways, a loss tomorrow night guarantees us the first overall pick, that's something to look forward too I guess.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
While the team is a few years off from being contenders again, I do think next season will be much brighter (I know, what a reach.) With promising players like Hanna and Schnarr ready to go, plus another draft, we should see a lot of the frustration weeded out through competition. This season with injuries and a short bench there hasn't been a lot of opportunity for players to experience the "healthy scratch." The D-core will certainly improve as no one graduates plus Hanna and the #1 overall (be it Wilde or Merkley) will challenge for top spots. All of whom are right-handed shots, which is also a bonus.

On forward I'm interested to see what happens with the import draft, in particular if Hischier comes this way. He could slot right into top 6, if so.

Just for fun:

L. Stevens/McEwan/Smith
Ratcliffe/Schnarr/Burghardt
Sicoly/Deakin-Poot/Bricknell
M. Stevens/Ralph/Philips
Hotchkiss

Wildcards:
Hischier?/Import
2016 2nd and 3rd

Looks like a decent young group that could grow together... we'll be back to playoff hockey before you know it.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
While the team is a few years off from being contenders again, I do think next season will be much brighter (I know, what a reach.) With promising players like Hanna and Schnarr ready to go, plus another draft, we should see a lot of the frustration weeded out through competition. This season with injuries and a short bench there hasn't been a lot of opportunity for players to experience the "healthy scratch." The D-core will certainly improve as no one graduates plus Hanna and the #1 overall (be it Wilde or Merkley) will challenge for top spots. All of whom are right-handed shots, which is also a bonus.

On forward I'm interested to see what happens with the import draft, in particular if Hischier comes this way. He could slot right into top 6, if so.

Just for fun:

L. Stevens/McEwan/Smith
Ratcliffe/Schnarr/Burghardt
Sicoly/Deakin-Poot/Bricknell
M. Stevens/Ralph/Philips
Hotchkiss

Wildcards:
Hischier?/Import
2016 2nd and 3rd

Looks like a decent young group that could grow together... we'll be back to playoff hockey before you know it.

Playoff hockey while much better than NON-playoff hockey, isn't exactly a ringing endorsement when 8/10 teams make the conference playoffs ;)

That said, I am hopeful as well.

My enthusiasm is tempered, though - I know, shocking!

Considering the minutes the young players got - especially post BS era - I'm left totally underwhelmed at the point totals. I know points aren't everything, and that it's also a product of not playing with any talented, older players, but it would have been sweet to see a few of these players able to create for themselves (or teammates) a little more regularly than they did.

For a team with this many young players on the roster, it's disappointing to see only an honourable mention (Ratcliffe) in Brock Ottens list of most impactful '99's from this season. Those lists are always fluid though, and with a good summer of training, perhaps the Storm will find a couple of players on that list next year.

Like I said, I am hopeful....just would have been a little more confident an optimistic if we had seen a rookie really step up and stand out.

Must say, I'm really stoked about Schnarr next year. Really stoked.

As for a lineup, I think it'll be a little easier post draft and post import draft to see how things might shake out. Hopefully by then the management situation will be settled as well.

And to whomever beat me out on the Schnarr warm-up jersey auction......:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::cry::cry::cry::cry:

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
Storm 4 Sting 2 We get the second Import pick. How about going after a high scoring Sweden or Russian player who can score 50 goals and get 100 points like some of the other teams do in the CHL.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
MissionAccomplished2.gif

That was one of the worst games I've seen all year.

Hope they can come back with a little more effort on Friday so I am not left with that taste in my mouth.

That said, glad they wrapped up #1 overall after this gongshow of a season and congrats to the Sting on the division title. They are going to be a tough out in the playoffs....man the west is strong!

Glad to see Giggy in net for the entire game again last night :shakehead

While all 7 weren't his fault, he wasn't sharp either and I don't think has been for some time. I can't for the life of me understand why BVS isn't getting some of these games....would love for someone to explain that to me.

Anyway, only one more home game to get through.

Also, judging by the fact that the team is having a Draft Breakfast Party on April 9 where fans will be able to meet the teams top pick(s), I would suggest that they'll have a commitment from whomever they end up selecting 1st overall. So that's good news.

I wish I knew more about Merkely/Wilde so that I'd have an opinion on who they should take. I guess I'll have to trust management to make the right call there :popcorn:

Lastly, kudos to the fans. Even though this team has been in the basement all year, they are still drawing quite well and for that, the fans should be commended. So well done to those of you who are still there through it all! :yo:

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
MissionAccomplished2.gif

That was one of the worst games I've seen all year.

Hope they can come back with a little more effort on Friday so I am not left with that taste in my mouth.

That said, glad they wrapped up #1 overall after this gongshow of a season and congrats to the Sting on the division title. They are going to be a tough out in the playoffs....man the west is strong!

While all 7 weren't his fault, he wasn't sharp either and I don't think has been for some time. I can't for the life of me understand why BVS isn't getting some of these games....would love for someone to explain that to me.

Anyway, only one more home game to get through.

Also, judging by the fact that the team is having a Draft Breakfast Party on April 9 where fans will be able to meet the teams top pick(s), I would suggest that they'll have a commitment from whomever they end up selecting 1st overall. So that's good news.

I wish I knew more about Merkely/Wilde so that I'd have an opinion on who they should take. I guess I'll have to trust management to make the right call there :popcorn:

Lastly, kudos to the fans. Even though this team has been in the basement all year, they are still drawing quite well and for that, the fans should be commended. So well done to those of you who are still there through it all! :yo:

completely agree on the fans!!! Well done everyone, looks great for all the young guys to see that kind of support through thick and thin. And looks great to any potential first overall pick too!!!
Tony tweeted that the team is close to signing a previos US draft pick. said Tomeo the goalie was not the name he had heard, so that to me leaved David Farrance or Cole Gallant... if i am remembering high end prospects correctly... interesting to see how that one develops.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
I feel like Gallant is the most likely of our American prospects to report. Interesting indeed.

Gallant, Schnarr (full time) and a high end import forward at #2 would certainly add a lot to our forward core.

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015
That missed interference call was the topper and perfectly sums up how the year went. Every time Guelph would show some heart and intensity the awful refs would ruin the game. I saw the look of defeat on every players face last night and felt defeated myself.
When was the last time a first overall OHL pick didn't turn out to be a first round NHL pick? Lets not have Guelph set another record and make some quality picks this year. What are some big names for the import draft?

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
I feel like Gallant is the most likely of our American prospects to report. Interesting indeed.

Gallant, Schnarr (full time) and a high end import forward at #2 would certainly add a lot to our forward core.

i have to think not just the #2 import pick but also second round import pick will be a forward. I would think with the amount of defenseman we have and will have, forward will be the position for the draft and import draft... aside from the number 1 pick...

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
MissionAccomplished2.gif

I hadn't heard about this, what are the details to that? I can't seem to find any info

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
When was the last time a first overall OHL pick didn't turn out to be a first round NHL pick? Lets not have Guelph set another record and make some quality picks this year. What are some big names for the import draft?

2009 OHL draft, Dan Catenacci - Didn't go in the first round of the NHL draft, but was still drafted in the third round.

2004 OHL Draft, John Hughes - Last time a player who went first overall in the OHL draft didn't get selected at all in the NHL draft.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
http://ma.xenonath.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/MissionAccomplished2.gif[/IMG

Lastly, kudos to the fans. Even though this team has been in the basement all year, they are still drawing quite well and for that, the fans should be commended. So well done to those of you who are still there through it all! [/QUOTE]

Re: Giggy and all the starts - I'm wondering if they're giving him all the starts since it's his OA year - last hurrah and exposure and all that. I'm also wondering if BVS isn't in the long term plans and might be traded in the offseason or early next season once they see what shakes out with other goalies. I can't imagine he's happy with this past season and maybe even asked for a trade for next season to start with a clean slate elsewhere?

I've been impressed with the crowds this year as well. I know I've had to drag myself to a few games this year as a STH, but I figure I'd muck it out with the boys during the bad run - (relatively) short term pain for hopefully long term gain!

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
That missed interference call was the topper and perfectly sums up how the year went. Every time Guelph would show some heart and intensity the awful refs would ruin the game. I saw the look of defeat on every players face last night and felt defeated myself.

I don't want to get in an argument but really, blaming the refs? Team has 12 wins in 65 games and believe me, it's not because of the refs.

Are the officials bad? Certainly. No argument there. But they are bad for every team - just check other teams threads on this board...every team gets jobbed nightly with that cast of misfits. The Storm are not the only ones getting bad calls against them - they just happen to also not be a very good team. Most games where they had a bad call against them, they likely would have lost anyway. If you felt defeated during last game, it likely had more to do with the effort level of some of the players on the Storm and the fact that they seemingly couldn't complete a pass longer than 5 ft...or defend in front of the net.....etc.

I hadn't heard about this, what are the details to that? I can't seem to find any info

I believe they said April 9 at 9am at Draught Picks. Buffet style breakfast. $5 per person I think I heard.

I think I might try to attend.

Re: Giggy and all the starts - I'm wondering if they're giving him all the starts since it's his OA year - last hurrah and exposure and all that. I'm also wondering if BVS isn't in the long term plans and might be traded in the offseason or early next season once they see what shakes out with other goalies. I can't imagine he's happy with this past season and maybe even asked for a trade for next season to start with a clean slate elsewhere?

I've been impressed with the crowds this year as well. I know I've had to drag myself to a few games this year as a STH, but I figure I'd muck it out with the boys during the bad run - (relatively) short term pain for hopefully long term gain!

Must be the case with Giggy/BVS...it's really the only explanation. Even if BVS isn't in the plans for next year, it would have been nice for the team to give him some exposure. No offense to Giggy, but no amount of exposure is going to help him I don't think - not sure a pro contract is in his future. I wish him the best, but I don't think the performance is there to justify the contract.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Standings: (3 games remaining!)

TOTAL

stormfan11 9
noobie1 36
StormSurge9 26
OHLFanFriendly 28
battfan888 37
RoyalCitySlicker 51
Fudgeo 13
StormWatcher 50
StormLifer 49

Molson Muscle

May 27, 2007
A few things as the season comes to a close.

Agree completely about the fan support. I think a lot has to do with the Mem Cup run from a couple of years ago and how the team stuck with their own draft picks and developed them from within. Fans want to see a similar process. I think last years draft class has lots of potential and hope the Storm can follow it up with another strong draft.

I was out to the OHL Cup and got to see Ryan Merkley, very impressive!

I am anxious to see who the US born player is that the Storm are close to signing. I am hoping for Farrance but who knows. I know last year there was talk of Cole Gallant being a member of the Storm.

As for next year, just my opinion but I think that this team will be releasing and or trading quite a few kids. I just think that there will be reset and the development will be based around this year and last year's draft classes. There is a bit of a log jam on defence and I can see some forwards not returning as well. As for goal I see no way that BVS is back next year either.

I hope that the Storm will be announcing a couple of more signings as the year ends........ As in a coach and Mike Kelly.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
A few things as the season comes to a close.

Agree completely about the fan support. I think a lot has to do with the Mem Cup run from a couple of years ago and how the team stuck with their own draft picks and developed them from within. Fans want to see a similar process. I think last years draft class has lots of potential and hope the Storm can follow it up with another strong draft.

I was out to the OHL Cup and got to see Ryan Merkley, very impressive!

I am anxious to see who the US born player is that the Storm are close to signing. I am hoping for Farrance but who knows. I know last year there was talk of Cole Gallant being a member of the Storm.

As for next year, just my opinion but I think that this team will be releasing and or trading quite a few kids. I just think that there will be reset and the development will be based around this year and last year's draft classes. There is a bit of a log jam on defence and I can see some forwards not returning as well. As for goal I see no way that BVS is back next year either.

I hope that the Storm will be announcing a couple of more signings as the year ends........ As in a coach and Mike Kelly.

Do you prefer Merkley over Wilde?

I've heard from a source who's been right before, that it's Gallant. That said, they've also been wrong before, too! ;)

I think the same as you re: the roster. I think this team will be +/- 50% different than this year...I think a few guys will be released in order to make room for 2015 and 2016 drafted players. Who that will be remains to be seen, but I think there will be at least one surprise! :sarcasm:

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
Head scout Chris McCleary quoted as saying all high US prospects including Jenkins and Wilde willing to report in Guelph...

That says something else to me... More then likely Mike Kelly has been meeting with them and they are willing to report based on him being with the team...
My Guess is Kelly is signed... kind of silly that the owners have the no contract discussion...

That being said...
on the note of next years team... i agree, think there will be alot of changes... what those are, is to be seen...

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Head scout Chris McCleary quoted as saying all high US prospects including Jenkins and Wilde willing to report in Guelph...

That's good to hear assuming he's being truthful.

Is that "Blade" Jenkins? If so......I'd be on board just for the name. Talk about intimidating :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad