Confirmed Signing with Link: Gudbranson re-signs in Vancouver [3years, $4m AAV] [MOD #244]

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Meh, not really all that upset with the contract, this team won't be somewhat competitive until maybe year three of that contract (that's being optimistic). I don't think he's earned, but this is the wrong contract to get upset about, we still have that Eriksson contract which still has me scratching my head.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Rydgar

Jul 15, 2010
Surrey, BC
I'm surprised by the negative reaction. The salary might be a little higher than he's worth but its good in the context of not getting an NTC and only a 3 year contract for a 4th/5th dman. On top of that, the salary cap is inconsequential for the next couple years and he's great trade bait near the end of his contract. He's a great placeholder until our d prospects become NHLers.

I really don't see much risk at all in the context of the Canucks team.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
if he had gone to FA another team would've paid the same amount.. Cap hit is high but its only 3 year
And I care, why? The front office should have let that happen rather than try to save face from getting bent over by Florida because of their weird fetish for 'toughness' over skill.

Gudbranson is worth nothing more than 800k aav. It's laughable that people think this is a good signing.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Meh, not really all that upset with the contract, this team won't be somewhat competitive until maybe year three of that contract (that's being optimistic). I don't think he's earned, but this is the wrong contract to get upset about, we still have that Eriksson contract which still has me scratching my head.

I never understood the logic that because a team sucks, it's acceptable that they make themselves worse.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I'm surprised by the negative reaction. The salary might be a little higher than he's worth but its good in the context of not getting an NTC and only a 3 year contract for a 4th/5th dman. On top of that, the salary cap is inconsequential for the next couple years and he's great trade bait near the end of his contract. He's a great placeholder until our d prospects become NHLers.

bottom pairing defensemen shouldn't get NTCs anyway. Plus, the salary cap always matters, and every year teams leverage the cap to get futures from cap-strapped teams

ZzZz

Dec 22, 2017
My guess is that it's a sign and trade to try to get a little more value out of him than if he were just a rental. 4 mill is a little high, but a GM desperate to add somebody at the deadline without having to give up a 1st round pick or a top tier prospect might bite on a deal.

Last edited:

dman34

May 6, 2011
I'm not a Gudbranson fan but I view this signing as a potential disaster averted. I was really dreading a 5+ year contract closer to $5MM per season. We aren't competing for the next few years anyways and the cap looks to be going up so who really cares. The contract is also front loaded and doesn't have a no trade clause so he will be pretty easy to move in year 3 if need be. Who knows, maybe Guddy surprises us and takes a step but I'm not holding my breath. I'm hoping this signing also opens up the option of trading Tanev for a younger puck moving d-man who's age is more in line with our upcoming core.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
That is a lot of money to give the Vancouver equal to Roman Polak. 4 mill for that? and Tanev makes the same? LOL.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

the reaction is expected since it's Canuck related. fans wouldn't give a flying f*** if it was the same terms and salary with lets say the Coyotes , or Pathers or Sabres.

My guess is that it's a sign and trade to try to get a little more value out of him than if he were just a rental. 4 mill is a little high, but a GM desperate to add somebody at the deadline without having to give up a 1st round pick or a top tier prospect might bite on a deal.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
I'm ok with this. I don't like the money being spent but the term makes me feel much better. I'm sure some GM would have gone for more in free agency.... But then again, Luke Schenn....

That said, contract aside, I'm glad he is staying. He does bring value in that he's a good guy to have to help with the rebuild, wants to be here for that, good leadership skills and will stick up for his teammates - something this team sorely needs as they bring up the kids. There is a lot to like about what he brings to the table. Unfortunately, he gets a large cap hit for what he does on the ice and will always be a reminder of am overpayment in that trade.

The other thing too, with the cap going up and two large contracts coming off the books, it's not likely to hurt their cap situation for a couple years, so overall, is it such a big deal?

member 290103

I like this deal, it's just about 4M more per year than I was hoping for.

Reactions: Kurtz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad