Confirmed Signing with Link: Gudbranson re-signs in Vancouver [3years, $4m AAV] [MOD #244]

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Him being paid so much more than what he brings on the ice is a functional NTC.

True enough... however it may be more moveable in the 3rd year (esp at the TDL, and with possible retention)... the lower dollars at that point may also be a factor

Forgive me for trying to cling to potential positives, it's not easy being a Canuck fan nowadays :sarcasm: :lol:

Reactions: 7even

go__topshelf

Sep 28, 2005
Can't believe how many 'Nucks fans don't see the upside here. No, he's obviously not a numbers darling the last two years in Van City but he's been hurt for roughly 1/2 of those games and he is clearly the type of player (well liked leader in the room that will stand up for guys when needed) that the 'Nucks need. This is Benning and Trevor betting that Guddy can get back to be the defensive rock that logged 26+ min a game for FLA two years ago in the playoffs. I bet they're right.

Reactions: ScottishCanuck

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Can't believe how many 'Nucks fans don't see the upside here. No, he's obviously not a numbers darling the last two years in Van City but he's been hurt for roughly 1/2 of those games and he is clearly the type of player (well liked leader in the room that will stand up for guys when needed) that the 'Nucks need. This is Benning and Trevor betting that Guddy can get back to be the defensive rock that logged 26+ min a game for FLA two years ago in the playoffs. I bet they're right.
Finally some knowledge!

It unbelievable some(most) of the posts in here.

Gudbranson is 26. This signing is going in the right direction.

Benning can do nothing to win on this forum. He could have traded Gudbranson for picks and everyone would have bashed Benning for that as well. It's actually pathetic.

Reactions: go__topshelf

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well we don't have to worry about him being traded to the Leafs now, and thank god for that, I am so glad Benning got his extension.

Reactions: Kelly

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

A player 6th in TOI on one of the worst teams in the league, who bleeds shots against and statistically is among the worst defenceman in the NHL? A guy who played big minutes while being babysat by Brian Campbell?

This is among the worst contracts in the league imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dim jim

go__topshelf

Sep 28, 2005
A player 6th in TOI on one of the worst teams in the league, who bleeds shots against and statistically is among the worst defenceman in the NHL? A guy who played big minutes while being babysat by Brian Campbell?

This is among the worst contracts in the league imo.
OK, you're a fancy stat guy... that's fine. Tell everyone what Guddy's fancy stats were just two years ago in the playoffs as a 24 yr old? What are the fancy stats for the fact that I guaran-damn-tee you that every single Canuck in that room are thrilled to have him back on their team.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Eh, seems like an overpayment but I don't see how this hinders anything. They're not contending for the next three years anyway.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Its not bad. Its not great. But once again. If you are going to say we can sign some "good" players. List some mate. Because there really isn't any UFA that fits our mold. Like none.
Huh? It’s absolutely a bad contract signing a bottom pairing defender to a 4 million dollar deal is bad.

I never said they could sign other players, tht was never my point my point is just because you have cap space doesn’t mean you should use it by overpaying players and signing bad contracts.

Gudbranson is last on the Canucks among defenders in CF% and is the highest paid played to ever score less than 15 points in NHL history, this is a bad contract.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Its not bad. Its not great. But once again. If you are going to say we can sign some "good" players. List some mate. Because there really isn't any UFA that fits our mold. Like none.
What the.....
You wait until July, you sign an average or even below bottom pairing D (if possible try to sign a playoff team cast off, there will definitely be some of them) for under 3 millions on a short term deal.
that player is either on the same level or an upgrade on Gudbranson, because that’s how bad he is.

Nucks for the Cup

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
Can people stop comparing it to the Ryan Ellis contract or the Josi contract or the Ekholm contract(***k Poile is a good GM) they were signed long before they were the players they are today and Im not saying Erik Gudbranson is gonna turn into a Ekholm cause I have a better chance of winning the lottery but still it is not a horrible contract he would have gotten more if he went to free agency and it would have been one of the worst contracts in the league but this is a very manageable deal for a guy that is a stopgap till we are back in playoff contention so everybody calm down

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
For a team that is contending and that is near the cap max it would not be good move to sign this contract.

But a 3 year contract is low risk for Vancouver. They are not ready to compete yet. With Gudbranson they have a bit of size and strength to protect the young and upcoming players plus some stability on the back end.

Not sure why people are so against this from Vancouver standpoint.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
It’s too high, but I’d be surprised if Ian cole didn’t get $3 mil minimum in the offseason so I dunno. I like Cole more than most people seem to like Gudbranson, just saying. He’s a third pair guy too.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
You're okay with gambling on a guy who was good in a some playoff games a few years ago vs what he does the rest of the time?

lawrence

May 19, 2012

Canucks fans in general do like this deal. The only ones they don’t like are the like the 20 strong that hangs around hfboards.com.

The strong and vocal ones that instead of saying this is a bad signing they will it 10 times and also include another 10 reasons why benning is a bad gm.

A few Also called it, no more then 4 million max and that’s what’s happening here. This deal is as good as it gets, and if anything Gudbranson value actually went up because it’s 3 years and it’s a ntc.

Reactions: 2muchman

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Canucks fans in general do like this deal. The only ones they don’t like are the like the 20 strong that hangs around hfboards.com.

The strong and vocal ones that instead of saying this is a bad signing they will it 10 times and also include another 10 reasons why benning is a bad gm.

A few Also called it, no more then 4 million max and that’s what’s happening here. This deal is as good as it gets, and if anything Gudbranson value actually went up because it’s 3 years and it’s a ntc.

What a bunch of garbage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad