Movies: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Some of us do. Though I am willing to take these as stand alone works that will always differ in various ways.

I honestly think that the source material's lack of popularity is a selling point for GotG to both general audiences and to Gunn... there are precious few diehard Guardians fans to object to changes, so he has the whole of cosmic Marvel (not explicitly tied to the Fantastic Four) to play around with and audiences have little to no expectations when it comes to these characters.

Slavish devotion to the comics would hurt the films.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I honestly think that the source material's lack of popularity is a selling point for GotG to both general audiences and to Gunn... there are precious few diehard Guardians fans to object to changes, so he has the whole of cosmic Marvel (not explicitly tied to the Fantastic Four) to play around with and audiences have little to no expectations when it comes to these characters.

Slavish devotion to the comics would hurt the films.

Celestials and cosmic entities are linked to the whole universe. Hulk and Thor are two of the main subject of these most of the time, its not only GOTG and FF4. Plus theres Nova, which is unexploited so far.

I dont really care about the exclusion of Json... But I do care that they made Quill a freaking celestial and that they actually defeated a freaking celestial/ego the living planet without the help of any marvel cosmic powerhouse (Nova, Surfer, Ronan, Gladiator, Warlock, Marvell, etc.)

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
As I understand it, Fox and Sony bought a list of characters from Marvel that was kind of indiscriminate when it came to who was assigned to what franchise. So someone like Spiderwoman is assigned to Sony in spite of being tangential to the Spiderman franchise, etc.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I enjoyed it.

I wasn't as surprised in this movie as I was with the first one - the characters remained roughly the same in their archetypes and part of the joy of watching Vol 1 was getting to know them - we learned that Quill loves music and dances and the levity it brought in Vol 1 was great. You're prepared for that in Vol 2. Etc etc down the line with the other characters.

I thought the 2nd act was too slow of a pace. I didn't dislike it, especially since the 2nd act was invested in moving the story along, but I was expecting more, especially with Quill's scenes.

I thought the final act makes up for the slow 2nd act pace and it wraps the movie up really well. I am a little disappointed that there was no shot of Thanos and what he's doing - I thought Vol 2 would move that part of the Marvel Universe arc along much more.

Vol 1 would get an 8.5 for me while Vol 2 would be a solid 8. I won't see it again in the theatre, but I'll definitely pick it up for my home when it comes out.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
saw it last night. not quite as enjoyable as the first one. alot of surprising scenes and characters *spoiler alert* baby groot was cute. drax was pretty funny.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Also, for me the real fun in these marvel movies is seeing powerhouse go at it. Planet busting kind of big players. Having Quill go head to head with his father, so boring.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Also, for me the real fun in these marvel movies is seeing powerhouse go at it. Planet busting kind of big players. Having Quill go head to head with his father, so boring.

But his dad is a planet... Just admit it, you didn't like him because his expansion plan didn't include Canada!

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Saw it tonight, really enjoyed it. Some comedy felt forced but a lot of it still had the same random charm from the first movie, which was great.

"My nipples!" and "I'm Marry Poppins y'all" had my dying.

Baby groot is adorable.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
In my opinion:

Top Tier
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy

High Tier
Iron Man
The Avengers
Captain America: Civil War

Middle Tier
Dr. Strange
Ant-Man
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Low Tier
Captain America: The First Avenger
Iron Man 3
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Thor

Bottom Tier
Thor: The Dark World
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
In my opinion:

Top Tier
Guardians of the Galaxy

High Tier
Iron Man
The Avengers

Middle Tier
Dr. Strange
Ant-Man

Low Tier
Iron Man 3
Thor

Bottom Tier
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk

Wow, I agree with pretty much all of this.

Well done.

I might nudge Iron Man or Guardians of the Galaxy 2 up a tier but then again I might not.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
In my opinion:

Top Tier
Guardians of the Galaxy

High Tier
Iron Man
The Avengers

Middle Tier
Dr. Strange
Ant-Man

Low Tier
Iron Man 3
Thor

Bottom Tier
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk

Move Thor up a tier and Guardians 2 up a tier and that would be my list

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Great list, Afro. I would move Guardians 2 and CA1 up a tier and Ant Man down a tier but everything else is perfect especially the top two tiers.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
In my opinion:

Top Tier
Guardians of the Galaxy

High Tier
Iron Man
The Avengers

Middle Tier
Dr. Strange
Ant-Man

Low Tier
Iron Man 3
Thor

Bottom Tier
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk

I'd move Guardians 2 and AoU up one tier and IM3 down.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
In my opinion:

Top Tier
Guardians of the Galaxy

High Tier
Iron Man
The Avengers

Middle Tier
Dr. Strange
Ant-Man

Low Tier
Iron Man 3
Thor

Bottom Tier
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk

Am I in a minority if I think Iron Man 2 was better than Iron Man 3?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Iron Man 3 was terrible, if you ask me.

Iron Man 2 wasn't good, either, but still.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
In my opinion:

Top Tier
Guardians of the Galaxy

High Tier
Iron Man
The Avengers

Middle Tier
Dr. Strange
Ant-Man

Low Tier
Iron Man 3
Thor

Bottom Tier
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk
I'd personally move Dr. Strange up a tier. Maybe also move the Avengers up one.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Yondu is dead it was all a ruse so people would not learn of his death before the movie was out.

When asked to clarify a recent report regarding Yondu’s apparent revival, Gunn was quick to shoot the idea down.

“False,” he said. The director then went on to say Marvel brought Michael Rooker to the set of Avengers: Infinity War to trick people. “No we did it because word was getting out he wasn’t in the movie,” Gunn explained.

“People were guessing what that meant,” he continued, nodding to previous rumors which speculated Yondu’s death. To throw fans off, Marvel decided to make it look as if Yondu survived until Avengers: Infinity War. However, fans have since learned that was all a ruse.

Clever, huh?

Unless they are playing us again...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad