Movies: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
XuTfCw.gif

Apparently enough for you to respond. I can't imagine anyone aside from you laughing at those terrible jokes in this movie.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
While I thought that it was weak in the second half and had some problems in tone especially with trying to be a teen Deadpool and all and that the villain had cheesy dialogue and the classic psychadelia soundtrack is very forced....I definetely don't think it was bad enough to be called 'not deserving of a passing grade.'

I'd say 6 or 7/10 is fair for this sort of summer blockbuster type film. Enjoyable but flawed without much depth or anything memorable to it but still....exciting/funny/enjoyable.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Apparently enough for you to respond. I can't imagine anyone aside from you laughing at those terrible jokes in this movie.

Based on the money it made and people's reception, much more than you think. Only a stupid idiot would make such a claim. And do you know what happens to stupid idiots these days?

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I watched it yesterday and thought it was decent enough thanks to Drax.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Based on the money it made and people's reception, much more than you think. Only a stupid idiot would make such a claim. And do you know what happens to stupid idiots these days?

tenor.gif

Only a stupid idiot would use money it's made as a defense. I guess transformers 4 and fast and the furious 8 are the best movies ever made.

anigif_enhanced-15271-1421252421-14.gif

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Only a stupid idiot would use money it's made as a defense. I guess transformers 4 and fast and the furious 8 are the best movies ever made.

anigif_enhanced-15271-1421252421-14.gif

How convenient that you ignored the fan reaction and critics. HFBoards poster thinks everyone likes what he likes and dislikes what he dislikes, cannot understand why it doesn't work that way in real life. More news later!

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I'm not sure how I feel about this one. The first one was definitely better in my opinion.

A lot of it seemed forced. I cringed at a few scenes that were meant to be humorous or emotional. I'm not a huge fan of Chris Pratt's range as an actor. He can play a lovable goof very well because that's pretty much his personality in real life, but this dad/mother's death/step-dad stuff just didn't stick for me, in large part I think due to Pratt's unconvincing acting.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I'm not sure how I feel about this one. The first one was definitely better in my opinion.

A lot of it seemed forced. I cringed at a few scenes that were meant to be humorous or emotional. I'm not a huge fan of Chris Pratt's range as an actor. He can play a lovable goof very well because that's pretty much his personality in real life, but this dad/mother's death/step-dad stuff just didn't stick for me, in large part I think due to Pratt's unconvincing acting.

Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Iron Man, etc.

The dead parents backstory has been done to death

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

That he didn't know who his father was had nothing at all to do with his character in the first movie. He was a loner because he was the only Human from Terra that he knew, and really the only Human at all in a band of alien pirates. His arc was finding his place with other loners and outcasts. He didn't have daddy issues, nor did he ever express interest in actually finding his father. It's a one-off joke at the end.

"You know how in the first film, our sarcastic loner found a family with other misfits via achieving a common goal of stopping an angry reject from the Blue Man Group? Well guess what, now he found his father!". Okay....?

That's part of the problem, the other part of the equation is that they're reusing said "loner outcasts come together" story arc. That's not to say it was bad, that's to say why this film didn't feel "fresh", which is a common critique I read. This is also why sequels tend to fail, characters are written with certain arcs and relationships in mind, hence they tend to fail when removed from their source material. GotG2 was alright, this is just a general rule.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Finally watched this today and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I still like the first one better, but still had fun with this one. The humor at times was a little forced, but not enough to take away from my enjoyment of it.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Rewatched today, still very enjoyable and hilarious. I very much look forward to Vol 3. and I'm interested to see what role the GotG play in Infinity War

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
How convenient that you ignored the fan reaction and critics. HFBoards poster thinks everyone likes what he likes and dislikes what he dislikes, cannot understand why it doesn't work that way in real life. More news later!
I provided my own opinion on what I watched. And predictable you turn into a child the moment anyone rips on anything marvel. It's really sad and pathetic.

I've never said my opinion is the only right one but I appreciate you thinking so highly of it. "Fan reactions" as an opinion is probably the most biased opinion you can read. Using that as a reference is laughable.

Critics have appeared to score this lower than the original.

I personally believed that this movie was bad and focused on lame jokes (that you always seem to find hilarious) and relied too heavily on bright colors/visuals to keep people engaged.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I provided my own opinion on what I watched. And predictable you turn into a child the moment anyone rips on anything marvel. It's really sad and pathetic.

I've never said my opinion is the only right one but I appreciate you thinking so highly of it. "Fan reactions" as an opinion is probably the most biased opinion you can read. Using that as a reference is laughable.

Critics have appeared to score this lower than the original.

I personally believed that this movie was bad and focused on lame jokes (that you always seem to find hilarious) and relied too heavily on bright colors/visuals to keep people engaged.

Citation needed.

I respond childishly and dickishly whenever people criticize something for the wrong reason or for something completely irrelevant because arguing about semantics is our national pastime.

Plus of course one should have realized by those The Rock and Jericho gifs that I actually don't take this stuff too seriously.

Last edited:

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011

tenor.gif

Almost exactly how you felt about Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad making the money they did!

Or you know just being the typical Jussi fanboy.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Sadly this didn't live up to the first Guardians of the Galaxy, which is far and away the best Marvel comics film and in a league of it's own. I just didn't find this one as funny and the actually plot didn't do much for either as I didn't really think Russell's character was a convincing or interesting villain. I loved the soundtrack again and I still like the characters for the most part, but they really should have just kept Groot as was and they don't need to overdo Drax. Anyway, while it was bad, it wasn't Dr Strange bad or Antman bad. Of course it goes without saying it wasn't Deadpool bad since that is absolute garbage. Better than the first Avengers? Probably, but that's not saying much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad