GSN's Blame Game

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Good idea. Ceci will be a regular name that comes up in this thread.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Goal 1: Phanuef 0.5, Hoffman 0.5, HM Smith
Phanuef goes high and off the glass which is more of a team philosophy issue, easy play is a pass behind the net. Hoffman was asleep on this play. Falls down after a collision with wideman, gets up and heads straight for the bench, before realizing the puck is in the zone and gets beat to the slot by Connolly. Wingers have to provide better support.

Goal 2: Ceci 0.75, Anderson 0.25
This was a tough one and more a result of a good forecheck by the Capitals, regardless Ceci did put this on the tape of Kuznetsov. Anderson gets across his crease in time, and is a little thrown off by the pass hitting Claesson's stick but I felt his adjustment was weak.

Goal 3: Smith 0.75, Ceci 0.25, HM Hoffman
This was avoidable, Smith tries to pop it to Turris in the middle of the ice where the play wasn't there. Pushing the puck up the boards to get it out of the zone was an easy play. Ceci gets caught high here and in his attempt to get back in the play ends up overplaying Vrana which resulted in Ovechkin being open. Hoffman as well is too high here, leaving more room for Ovechkin to get off an uncontested shot.

Goal 4: Thompson 0.75, Ceci 0.25
Ceci was not ready for the pass from Pyatt behind the net which resulted a broken transition attempt. Thompson gets caught between Ovechkin and the blue line, he needs to be between Ovechkin and the net.

I thought they played a pretty solid game defensively despite giving up 4, just when mistakes did happen the capitals made it count.

Reactions: DrEasy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Terrible idea & creates more negativity on this board as if there isn't enough. Hockey is a team game & all kinds of things can lead to goals against but directly blaming individual players will only lead to what the advanced stats do & that is try to blame individuals for mistakes that could be caused by numerous individuals on the ice who make the wrong play at the wrong time but another guy gets the blame. It lacks an understanding of the game & roles of individual players & what this coach wants from each player.

I suspect this to be another callous attempt to vilify certain players on this roster that the majority of people on here don't like for example Ceci & Boro who are on the ice most often against another team's best players & on the PK which really skews the stats against them. All the while the superstar & darling on this board is on the ice with the best offensive players & the majority of the time on the PP when we should have possession the majority of the time. It's a negative transparent & sad attempt to target & again vilify certain players on this team & these stats will certainly be used against them when convenient to make a point.

1 blame pt against Karlsson last night for not being in the lineup & another for not healing fast enough.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Terrible idea & creates more negativity on this board as if there isn't enough. Hockey is a team game & all kinds of things can lead to goals against but directly blaming individual players will only lead to what the advanced stats do & that is try to blame individuals for mistakes that could be caused by numerous individuals on the ice who make the wrong play at the wrong time but another guy gets the blame. It lacks an understanding of the game & roles of individual players & what this coach wants from each player.

I suspect this to be another callous attempt to vilify certain players on this roster that the majority of people on here don't like for example Ceci & Boro who are on the ice most often against another team's best players & on the PK which really skews the stats against them. All the while the superstar & darling on this board is on the ice with the best offensive players & the majority of the time on the PP when we should have possession the majority of the time. It's a negative transparent & sad attempt to target & again vilify certain players on this team & these stats will certainly be used against them when convenient to make a point.

1 blame pt against Karlsson last night for not being in the lineup & another for not healing fast enough.

lol

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
medical-scapegoat-scapegoating-blame_games-fall_guys-healthcare-forn2826_low.jpg

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Pretty sure the reason Boucher likes Boro so much is because hes a fun mini-game. A game of making sure he plays against the worst players possible and not allowing him to play against good players.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Total blame points will be unfair to players who spend more time on the ice. More ice time = more opportunity for blame. We'll need to divide by ice time to get a fairer number.

16w

Jun 23, 2003
can we assign 5 points of blame for whoever is in charge of selecting the music for the power play? i feel like this is a major reason the Senators do so terribly with a man advantage... every time the melody of that horrific attempt of being hip and edgy plays over the loudspeakers a part of me dies inside, and i'm sure it does for the players too

the psychology of music is that the more you hear a song, the less appeal it starts to have... and EVERY SINGLE TIME we have a power play it's that stupid song...

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Let's not forget that sometimes, nobody is to blame because the opposition is good and make good plays

D-men will have the most points against because even if forwards make more mistakes, D-men, forwards and goalies will repair them most often that not. When a D-man makes a mistake, good chance it ends up in the net.

Also, some D-men are more at risk because of the quality of competition they face... (ex : Ceci)

Another problem is the complexity of the game. Like MrCraigAnderson post shows, there is rarely only one player to blame for a goal against in a team game. But I guess for the purpose of this thread (which I agree with Aragorn is negative and ends up vilifying some players), no choice to focus on the main pundits.

Game #1 (WSH game):

GA #1: Phaneuf soft clearance leads to goal
GA #2: Ceci turnover leads to goal
GA #3: Smith turnover
GA #4: Thompson out muscled, and I thought Andy should have played better.

Accurately what happened

Just to note, on Ovie's 3rd goal, the mistake Thompson did was to not have have inside body position on Ovechkin. Not a good idea against that type of player. Should have rushed to get back in a better position to not get outmuscled

The problem with this game is that there are many turnovers and mistakes that lead to scoring chances but no goal, but were equally or worst offenders for opportunities against.

Doesn't matter because hockey is a game of mistakes but your teammates job is to fix your mistakes. If Andy made a great save, he would have saved somebody's bacon. Didn't happen. But for the purpose of this thread (which I don't like in theory but find interesting by curiosity), let's just focus on goals against

Maybe Dorion? ;)

Imagine what Dahlen could have done in there.

:laugh:

Last edited:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I don't really blame Thompson for being outstrengthed by Ovechkin of all people.

I think he bears a certain amount of responsibility. He lots the battle way to easily and ovy got way to much room. It seemed like he was caught off guard.

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
Interesting idea. As others have mentioned, though, it's challenging to isolate just one or two players on any given play who were individually responsible for any goal against.

Usually it's the culmination of three or four different errors that ends up surrendering a goal. Sometimes there's a blunder so egregious it's easy to pin it on one player, but more often than not you have 4-5 players to blame.

Side-note: initially thought the title was a reference to the infamous Greening-Smith-Neil (GSN) line that was so abhorred back in the day, haha.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Game #2 (DET):

GA #1: This is tough. Cleasson is def at fault here, but it was a bouncing puck. Same with Andy as it was a tip on the shot. I still lay blame on both a bit. So 0.5 to each.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Hmmmm Boro not leading after 2 games something is wrong.

Boro was decent v. Detroit so no complaints (yet).
I too thought it was a reference to the Greening Smith Neil line.

(P.S. This isn't really fostering negativity, it's mostly a chill and jokingly point fingers at people. It's good like cheesecake, mong.)

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
It is setting certain players up for failure:

1. Anderson bails out a terrible Karlsson turnover. No GOAT points awarded, but still a terrible play.
2. Phaneuf and Ceci spend a stupid amount of the game on the ice, in their own zone, against the best players on the other team. Tons of opportunity for GOAT points. No chance for redeption
3. Boro misses a check, misreads the play, and fumbles a pass before getting saved by Wideman. No goal against, so no GOAT points.
4. Forwards, in general, will not get blamed nearly as much. Goalies and defense men get criticized instead.

Basically, this is system designed to shit on whatever defense-man is unfortunate enough to play the most minutes against the hardest competition....so Phaneuf or Ceci will end up winning it.

To make it fair, I suggest the "Erik Condra Award for Missed Opportunity" for every time a forward hammers a wrister into the goalie's logo on a breakaway or fumbles a pass on on a wide-open back door play.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
To make it fair, I suggest the "Erik Condra Award for Missed Opportunity" for every time a forward hammers a wrister into the goalie's logo on a breakaway or fumbles a pass on on a wide-open back door play.

You are welcome to create that thread.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
TSN just blamed Boro for the first goal since he got undressed by Henrik behind the net which lead to the goal.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
He was. But I can't blame him for the second.
It was his bad icing that led to the faceoff being in the zone. And Pageau with a key faceoff loss on the play.
On the first goal, Turris had the puck on his stick but lost it to a Canucks player which allowed the puck to stay in the zone. Later, Dzingel left the point to try to make a play on the man in the slot, which left his d-man alone for the shot that went in. You could also argue that Turris should've kept a better eye on his man and ended up too close to the net, which forced Dzingel to jump up. In front of the net there was a big-time screen by a Canucks player that Phaneuf didn't do a good job of moving.

I don't think this blame game will work very well honestly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad