GSN's Blame Game

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I thought about this something last year but never got around in doing this. I think it would be fun if I implement GSN's Blame Game™. What's a blame game you ask. Well, it's got a good dose of subjectivity on my part, but I wanted to create a running tally of who was to blame for each goal. So if a player is solely responsible for a goal against, he will get one "blame point"™. If there is shared responsibility, each player will get 0.5. So it's possible to have more than one blame point in total for one particular goal. (i.e. 3 players responsible at 0.5 points).

I think it will be interesting to see at the end of the year, who got most blame points. Also it might garner some discussion on who was to blame. I know it's not very scientific but I'd like to give it a try. Here's the table.

After Game 30:

nB07zRh

Last edited:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Game #1 (WSH game):

GA #1: Phaneuf soft clearance leads to goal
GA #2: Ceci turnover leads to goal
GA #3: Smith turnover
GA #4: Thompson out muscled, and I thought Andy should have played better.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't blame Andy for the fourth goal. That was a quick Ovi release and he shot it as soon as he had it on his stick.

Also (and I haven't seen the highlights), I thought Cody failed to clear the puck at the line on the 3rd goal. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I don't blame Andy for the fourth goal. That was a quick Ovi release and he shot it as soon as he had it on his stick.

Also (and I haven't seen the highlights), I thought Cody failed to clear the puck at the line on the 3rd goal. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

Yeah, I debated the Andy blame point, but the shot went through him and the wrister was a ways away and I think he should have played it better. Maybe it's harsh, but I expect more out of Andy.

As for the 2nd and 3rd goals, you might be correct. But it doesn't matter in the end, the blame still falls on those guys.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Very interesting, would love to see this kept alive this season. I'll put some input for the Saturday game.

Fun little neat idea to keep track of.

Reactions: jules6565

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The problem with this "game" is that there are many turnovers and mistakes that lead to scoring chances but no goal, but were equally or worst offenders for opportunities against.

Well, as long as people understand that it's mainly for entertainment purposes.

Patterns will likely emerge where goalies and defencemen obviously tend to make mistakes closer to their own goal, and those with more icetime will probably show up more frequently.

A guy coughs up the puck in the offensive zone, and there's 2 or 3 other guys who have to make a mistake before it's in our own net. Still, that first guy committed the initial turnover.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
The problem with this game is that there are many turnovers and mistakes that lead to scoring chances but no goal, but were equally or worst offenders for opportunities against.

Agreed. As mentioned this is not very scientific and only applies to goals against. This is not meant to be some advanced stats, just a fun exercise that we may get some info out of. Or maybe none at all. We'll see.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I don't really blame Thompson for being outstrengthed by Ovechkin of all people.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Don't think it's fair to include andy on this. He plays 60 minutes and is a goalie weak goals will happen

Reactions: DrEasy

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I say two things about this.
Rather than it being a strictly negative thread, include a "fame" side.
So someone who is responsible for a goal for, but not necessarily the shooter or one who gets the assist.

Also, make it skater specific. If there's no skater responsible, then leave it at that. Too easy to fall into the trap of blaming the goalie on every goal otherwise.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I say two things about this.
Rather than it being a strictly negative thread, include a "fame" side.
So someone who is responsible for a goal for, but not necessarily the shooter or one who gets the assist.

Also, make it skater specific. If there's no skater responsible, then leave it at that. Too easy to fall into the trap of blaming the goalie on every goal otherwise.

Yeah, I thought about doing a ying to my yang, where props are given. But that would be too much for me to follow, and I'm a pessimist. So if anyone wants to start a Fame Game, go ahead. I'll stick with this one.

Also thought about not including goalies. But I think I'll stick with including them just to gauge where they fit in the blame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad