GDT: Group S • May 8 • Russia 2, Germany 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
This game just proves that nothing is certain in hockey championship. You can lose against weaker team and play like a God against top teams.

Yupp and it shows that the WC should never be in Stockholm again. I mean u got Germany vs Russia. Malkin vs Goc. U got the stars, the quality and everything. High prices and lack of hockey interest :( reminds me of Norway :shakehead :rant:

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
It's only 1-0 at the end of 2, but IMO, this is Russia's best performance in the tournament by far. Except for a short flurry at the end of the second, Germany's offense is completely held in check, while the Russians are controlling the play around the German goal and getting all kinds of good scoring opportunities. Still, it's only a one goal margin, so the Russians better start finding the back of the net more often in the third.

Agreed ... they seem to be coming together more as a team, and the NHL players look like they're getting more comfortable playing on bigger ice. I'm not as familiar with the other Russian players as I am with Malkin, but third periods tend to be his best.

ts11

Apr 29, 2005
Germany
Yupp and it shows that the WC should never be in Stockholm again. I mean u got Germany vs Russia. Malkin vs Goc. U got the stars, the quality and everything. High prices and lack of hockey interest :( reminds me of Norway :shakehead :rant:

That really reads...strange... Goc in company with Malkin ;). But in the end it is, but the Goc vs. Malkin is Nikolai, not Marcel (his brother). And he's doing a fine job until now :handclap:

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
That really reads...strange... Goc in company with Malkin ;). But in the end it is, but the Goc vs. Malkin is Nikolai, not Marcel (his brother). And he's doing a fine job until now :handclap:

Well I hope u got my point.

The point is that both teams got some of their best players in the wc. Yes i know the russians and germans miss alot of players, but compared to Slovakia last year i think both teams looks stronger on paper. Malkin is a better player then ovi, Dats is better then Koval (thats my opinion. Peeps can disagree with me on this one). Goc is the best german forward atm. Sturm and Hecht are both over the top. Seidenberg, greiss and ehrhoff are missing ofc.

edit: and Varlamov is prob the best goalie in this tournament (on paper....)

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme

I can't say Latvians have particular interest for other hockey teams either. When we hosted WC, there weren't many local Latvian spectators for other group games, especially of less famous countries. But then again, Latvia is not a big country population-wise, so it was justified in my eyes, although some countries did deserve more spectators.

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
I can't say Latvians have particular interest for other hockey teams either. When we hosted WC, there weren't many local Latvian spectators for other group games, especially of less famous countries. But then again, Latvia is not a big country population-wise, so it was justified in my eyes, although some countries did deserve more spectators.

Well Riga is a big city (650.000 or something) :)

Penalty Kill Icing*

Why is this guy calling it like a football match? :help:

ts11

Apr 29, 2005
Germany
Well I hope u got my point.

The point is that both teams got some of their best players in the wc. Yes i know the russians and germans miss alot of players, but compared to Slovakia last year i think both teams looks stronger on paper. Malkin is a better player then ovi, Dats is better then Koval (thats my opinion. Peeps can disagree with me on this one). Goc is the best german forwards atm. Sturm and Hecht are both over the top. Seidenberg, greiss and ehrhoff are missing ofc.

For sure and I agree. You have lots of NHLstars this year on the top teams yet the fans don't show up as expected (even for the home teams). It's just that Goc isn't a star even in Germany (a level below Seidenberg and Ehrhoff in recognition even under hockey fans IMO), that's why the breakdown of this match into Malkin vs. Goc got me smiling.

Ah, damn that, 2:0.

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
For sure and I agree. You have lots of NHLstars this year on the top teams yet the fans don't show up as expected (even for the home teams). It's just that Goc isn't a star even in Germany (a level below Seidenberg and Ehrhoff in recognition even under hockey fans IMO), that's why the breakdown of this match into Malkin vs. Goc got me smiling.

Ah, damn that, 2:0.

Yupp ofc I agree with u, but i do believe he is Germanys best forward. But ofc Malkin is a much better player. Well also Dats is much better then him.

I guess Ehrhoff is the biggest loss. He can score alot of goals ;)

Penalty Kill Icing*

lol Germany, when will you shoot. A penalty to Emelin.

Penalty Kill Icing*

I hate it when they increase their pitch when puck goes near the net (i.e. football style). This guy is driving me nuts. Crowd chants not helping either.

ts11

Apr 29, 2005
Germany
Yupp ofc I agree with u, but i do believe he is Germanys best forward. But ofc Malkin is a much better player. Well also Dats is much better then him.

I guess Ehrhoff is the biggest loss. He can score alot of goals ;)

Ehrhoff is the big name missing, but I think any of our defenders from the AHL/NHL would have really helped us a lot. Especially I miss Holzer, but as a Leaf fans it's nice to see him have some success with the Marlies. Still blows, him and Mueller could have helped.
Btw., I agree with Goc being our best forward all around.

Wow, what an athletic display by Varlamov. Seems like he is ready for the gymnastic competition at the Summer games this year :amazed:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad