GDT: Group H • May 11 • Kazakhstan 2, United States 3 (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
Wow. Kazakhstan took USA close.

Well they had inside intelligence...

boratp.jpg

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
The fact that the Kazakhs gotten this game to OT is a loss. technically we won, but that point that was left on the table was pretty important to us. :shakehead

BigDaddyNYR

Calgary Flames GM
Apr 21, 2012
Hartford
Can someone give me a recap on the game. Had to work late shift last night, didnt get home til 4am, woke up an hour ago.

Thanks.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
how am I chewing my nails against Kazakhstan????

The only value in this tourney is watching how some of the real young players like
Faulk do. Other than that, its essentially a US "C" team participating in the WC.
Last year was probably closer to a "D" team.

I really wouldn't get to wound up about it.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
Maybe we could have avoided the relegation round at the World Juniors if Faulk played... :cry:

Kind of sad that he's our best player. But awesome at the same time. Kid should definitely be going to Sochi.

Over who?

Suter-Yandle-Byfuglien-Johnson-Johnson-Orpik-Carlson-McDonagh all slot ahead of him if its a 23 man roster. Faulk's good, but he wont make it.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
Really? I think Hal Gill shouldn't be used on Euro ice.The man is slow; he'd get killed by faster teams on big ice.

Not anywhere near as slow as you and others make him out to be. Though Gill obviously has limitations in transition, he makes excellent first passes to forwards
that start transition. Defensively his reach, even on Euro ice is still an asset. Gill
understands that even on Euro ice you still need to go the the net. There is a real
good reason hes been in the NHL for like 15 years, he KNOWS HOW TO PLAY D.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
I would have no problem taking Faulk ahead of Orpik and Buff.

Good luck with that. Orpik is light years better defensively and Byfuglien can take a game over by himself.

Go back and watch Orpiks play against Canada, he was outstanding. His passing is very underrated also. He's not a goal scorer on the blueline, but he's a very good
passer. Hes one of the two best shutdown US defensemen in the game. Unless hes injured, he going to Sochi. Faulks time will come if he keeps progressing, but Orpik and Buff are better overall players than Faulk.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Over who?

Suter-Yandle-Byfuglien-Johnson-Johnson-Orpik-Carlson-McDonagh all slot ahead of him if its a 23 man roster. Faulk's good, but he wont make it.

he is clearly better then Erik Johnson and Brooks Orpik.

Orpik makes this team for a different role then what Faulk can bring to the table, so by default (I am a huge Orpik fan) Orpik wins out over Faulk.

but, I would take Faulk over Erik Johnson right now, without hesitation. Also Faulk and Carlson are a toss up for me right now as well...cant believe I am even saying that.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Good luck with that. Orpik is light years better defensively and Byfuglien can take a game over by himself.

Go back and watch Orpiks play against Canada, he was outstanding. His passing is very underrated also. He's not a goal scorer on the blueline, but he's a very good
passer. Hes one of the two best shutdown US defensemen in the game. Unless hes injured, he going to Sochi. Faulks time will come if he keeps progressing, but Orpik and Buff are better overall players than Faulk.

again, I agree with you in regards to Orpik.

He is our #1 shutdown dman by a large margin...I hope he can continue that for the next 2 years...

I am not saying I would take Faulk over Orpik for that specific role, as it would make no sense. I just think in 2 years Faulk will have a better overall game then Brooks, but he will have to beat out a guy like Yandle, EJ, or Carlson for that spot and not Orpik...

okay I am confusing myself now! ;)

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia

That was on an ice surface that Orpik was well suited to. Things are going to be very different in Sochi.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
There aren't 5 or 6 American centers that regularly out score him. One or two maybe.

I dunno, Doaka is on a rampage now...its better to just let him run with it ;)

Stastny is overrated, not going to argue that, but he is still in the top 2-3 American centers right now.

Kesler, Stastny, and Backes are the top 3 for me...

maybe some more of the younger guys step up and overtake him in the next year or two (Oshie, Stepan, Wilson, etc)..but as it stands he is clearly in the top group of centers we have to offer, which in turn is clearly a weakness for this country

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
That was on an ice surface that Orpik was well suited to. Things are going to be very different in Sochi.

You are badly underestimating Orpiks complete skill set. He's a far more than adequate skater, excellent passer, has great defensive instincts and doesnt panic with the puck on his stick. In addition even on the big ice, he'll still command a
physical presence.

Aren't you the guy who just said he'd take John Merrill over Hal Gill? Merrill isn't NHL material yet, but you judge him better than a 15 year vet? Take the U-18 glasses off,
Merrill isn't NHL material right now.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
There aren't 5 or 6 American centers that regularly out score him. One or two maybe.

Hockey is clearly a DEFENSIVE game. Stastny has little compete level to him. He's
average defensively at best. Again, I'd rate the following ahead of him for TOTAL PLAYERS.

Kesler-Backes-Pavelski-Oshie-Umberger-Cullen (very underrated two way player with a motor, unlike PS, who's emotionally dead). In fact I'd rate Stepan as someone whom may move past him as a two way center.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
you are badly underestimating orpiks complete skill set. He's a far more than adequate skater, excellent passer, has great defensive instincts and doesnt panic with the puck on his stick. In addition even on the big ice, he'll still command a
physical presence.

Aren't you the guy who just said he'd take john merrill over hal gill? Merrill isn't nhl material yet, but you judge him better than a 15 year vet? Take the u-18 glasses off,
merrill isn't nhl material right now.
u-18? What the...huh?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad