GDT: Group H • May 11 • Kazakhstan 2, United States 3 (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
I would take Kesler, Backes & Pavelski easily ahead of Stastny. So that leaves the last slot
amongst Stastny, Umberger, Cullen, Stepan and Legwand.
Again major strikes for me with his two way game and more importantly, his compete level.

He reminds me of another favorite overrated player on the d Corp in Paul Martin, Pitt fans cant run him
out of town fast enough.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I would take Kesler, Backes & Pavelski easily ahead of Stastny. So that leaves the last slot
Again major strikes for me with his two way game and more importantly, his compete level.

He reminds me of another favorite overrated player on the d Corp in Paul Martin, Pitt fans cant run him
out of town fast enough.

at least Stastny answers the call unlike some of those others on your list... in no way shape or form should Stastny ever be lumped in with Umberger, Cullen, and Legwand

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
Every player I listed is far better defensively than Stastny. Offensively sure Stastny is better.

Defensively, no way. Ill say it a million times, hockey is a defensivel sport and those other centers
have much more well rounded games, not to mention much higher compete levels.

I think Stastny will play himself out of contention. Stepan will beat him out, especially with potentially Kreiders ascension.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Can someone give me a recap on the game. Had to work late shift last night, didnt get home til 4am, woke up an hour ago.

Thanks.

US has the puck Kazakhstan's zone

Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest,

Goal

Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest,

Kazakh powerplay, Kazakhstan scores

US goes back to Kazakstan's zone
Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest,

Weak wrister from Justin Faulk somehow scores

Kazakhstan gets a late breakaway and scores.

US scores in OT.

Fulcrum

US has the puck Kazakhstan's zone

Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest,

Goal

Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest,

Kazakh powerplay, Kazakhstan scores

US goes back to Kazakstan's zone
Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest, Cycle cycle cycle shot into chest,

Weak wrister from Justin Faulk somehow scores

Kazakhstan gets a late breakaway and scores.

US scores in OT.

LOL, ye that sums it up best

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I feel like as Americans we have some of the worst mentality in sports. Always overconfident in our abilities even when we aren't the best team in the tournament or sport.

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

How do I save this post and retrieve/repost it just before the World Juniors?

Also, how do I send a copy to RabidRanger and AmericanDream? (joking!!!)

;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do I save this post and retrieve/repost it just before the World Juniors?

Also, how do I send a copy to RabidRanger and AmericanDream? (joking!!!)

;)

Just see it too many times whether it's in hockey at the Olympics (1998, 2006), the World Juniors last year or in soccer with the Olympics this year or the U20s or just generally when we lose to crappy teams, or even in basketball where we have a giant talent advantage but still lost after getting over confident. It seems to be the American mentality. Anytime a team is expected to succeed (granted this WC team isn't but Kazakhstan seriously) we usually choke. When people write us off and don't expect much out of us, that's when we excel. 2002 World Cup, 2010 Olympics. Or when we get popped in the nose and get motivated for revenge. Basketball 2008 2010.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Turned on this game. Saw the score scroll across the ticker 15 seconds into the first period. Changed the channel.

NBC :facepalm:

In the day and age where I can get instant text message updates to my phone on who scored, who assisted and who was in net all within 15 seconds of it happening, I've long wondered why TV networks still have the ticker at all.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I feel like as Americans we have some of the worst mentality in sports. Always overconfident in our abilities even when we aren't the best team in the tournament or sport.

Just see it too many times whether it's in hockey at the Olympics (1998, 2006), the World Juniors last year or in soccer with the Olympics this year or the U20s or just generally when we lose to crappy teams, or even in basketball where we have a giant talent advantage but still lost after getting over confident. It seems to be the American mentality. Anytime a team is expected to succeed (granted this WC team isn't but Kazakhstan seriously) we usually choke. When people write us off and don't expect much out of us, that's when we excel. 2002 World Cup, 2010 Olympics. Or when we get popped in the nose and get motivated for revenge. Basketball 2008 2010.

That's fair.

I think beating Canada set the bar too high for this team. They deserved the win but they played over their heads. Unfortunately, I don't believe it is sustainable.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
That's fair.

I think beating Canada set the bar too high for this team. They deserved the win but they played over their heads. Unfortunately, I don't believe it is sustainable.

Beating Kazakhstan in regulation isn't setting the bar too high, Canada win or not.

They just put out a real stinker yesterday. They mailed it in, went through the motions and by the time they realized what was up, it was too late.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Beating Kazakhstan in regulation isn't setting the bar too high, Canada win or not.

They just put out a real stinker yesterday. They mailed it in, went through the motions and by the time they realized what was up, it was too late.

I just looked at the standings...

If the U.S. loses against Finland and Switzerland, is it possible for them to miss the next rounds?

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I just looked at the standings...

If the U.S. loses against Finland and Switzerland, is it possible for them to miss the next rounds?

Lots of scenarios but the US losing both games would require some real help to keep them in the tournament.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA

out of town fast enough.

I disagree with a lot of your takes on the team. Everyone that follows this team knows Umberger, Cullen and Legwand won't get a sniff of the Olympic team because they never answer the call. They aren't talented enough but the darn sure act like they deserve to be there w/o putting in any extra time. It's unbelievable to me that you would even put Stastny in the same sentence as those lazy ***** who are probably just sitting at home.

I like P + B too. Pavelski and Backes are good players, but neither is a #1 center like Stastny.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

We beat you though :)

During the 2010 Olympics, after Canada smoked the Russians, I put together a cartoon. I tried to get it published but failed. :(
The cartoon went as follows:

Panel 1:

A big burly man with a beautiful white head of hair is standing in front of a conference table. He is wearing a "USA Hockey Shirt" with the name "Brian Burke" written below. He barks at the room, "Alright, which one of you Idiots woke up the 800 pound gorilla in the room?".

Panel 2:

Men wearing Shirts with the words "Russia", "Sweden", "Finland", "Czechs" are sitting around the conference table glaring back angrily at Brian Burke.

Panel 3:

Brian Burke, looking sad/ashamed/reserved says, "Oh yeah... that's right... we did... sorry about that guys."

:laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Nobody cares.

LOL! But you predicted it yesterday.

In your original post you wrote something to the effect (I am paraphrasing) that we would beat Kazakhstan like we were their daddy. You were right. You later edited it out. :(

Just teasing you, buddy. Have a nice weekend.

P.S. Switzerland lost to France so... the U.S. will easily make the next round.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
LOL! But you predicted it yesterday.

In your original post you wrote something to the effect (I am paraphrasing) that we would beat Kazakhstan like we were their daddy. You were right. You later edited it out. :(

Just teasing you, buddy. Have a nice weekend.

P.S. Switzerland lost to France so... the U.S. will easily make the next round.

Easily no, probably they will though. Merci France!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad