GDT: Group H • May 5 • Canada 4, United States 5 (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I agree. I also felt like when the US blue line had the puck they were very much in control, but they got a little scrambly at times when they didn't. If they can possess the puck more than the opposing team, I think they could surprise some people.

Yep, kind of how we expected it going in. The US team with the exception of Chris Butler is offensively oriented. Without the puck they can be a bit of an adventure.

canadiansbronco

Jun 10, 2011
So to my Canadian friends, if we turned back the NHL to original 6 size
and only a N. American pool of players to pock from how many US players
on a 20 man roster would there be? My guess would be

G - 6

D - 13-15

F - 16-18

keeping canadian,russian,sweedes and other country ?

None....

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Ward's job is to keep his team in the game. Considering he faced 40+ shots and still got it to OT, I'd say he did his job. He didn't have a great game, but neither did the rest of the team. Putting the majority of the blame on Ward is ridiculous.

If he doesn't give up a weak goal late in the game, and we still score late like we did, we end up winning the game. Instead his weak goals played a major role in us losing the game.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
If he doesn't give up a weak goal late in the game, and we still score late like we did, we end up winning the game. Instead his weak goals played a major role in us losing the game.

It could also be argued that if he doesn't give up the first goal of the game on a simple wrist shot on the first shot on net, our team doesn't become deflated and suck ass for the next 61 minutes.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I didn't realize Canada had so many good players go. A lot of that roster is strong consideration for a spot on the next Olympic Team.

I'm surprised they got beat by an average US team.

Leaf

Apr 25, 2012
I didn't realize Canada had so many good players go. A lot of that roster is strong consideration for a spot on the next Olympic Team.

Not that average. They might not have a few of the superstars we do, but they seem to be gelling really well.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

Well, if I'm really looking at Canada's roster objectively, I'd say other than Duncan Keith, I'd be very surprised if any of their defensive corps would make their next Olympic team. Their forwards are filled with talent but are fairly young and inexperienced. That's the issue, I think that there is a lot of talent on the Canadian roster but it's all on one end. Their blueline is really mediocre (by their high standards).

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
a lot of people were underrating the US team before this game. We have NHL players too and our team played really well in the first game. it just carried over into the canada game. no doubt, no excuses usa earned this win. next time take your opponent seriously, that goes to the canadian fans and players

FinRuutu

Red Wins
Feb 7, 2010
Helsinki
a lot of people were underrating the US team before this game. We have NHL players too and our team played really well in the first game. it just carried over into the canada game. no doubt, no excuses usa earned this win. next time take your opponent seriously, that goes to the canadian fans and players

US players have adapted to the big rink way better than Canadians. US speed was too much for Canada. It did surprise me how good they were and I won't underestimate them again.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Just finished the game. Won't get too detailed but glad Team USA won. They were the better team today. It's not typical that Team USA would lose their lead to Canada in the 3rd period, not once but twice, and still manage to pick up the win. Team looked very good skating wise today and were moving the puck well. Jack Johnson is awesome. Wouldn't be surprised if these two teams meet again.

Overall, a very fun game to watch.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I thought Braun had a pretty forgettable game. Of the US defensemen, he stood out in all the wrong ways.

franfrey*

The Johnson-Petry pairing was dominant today. Was really impressed with JJ's play especially.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
About the goalie thing:

1&2. USA slightly over Finland
3. Canada
4. Czech
5. Slovakia
6. Belarus
7. Sweden

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
How was Ryan Lasch?

I think he did really well. His familiarity with the big rink certainly helped his line and he had some really good plays. His small size will probably be against him in NHL but he was the top forward in Finland this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad