GDT: Group H • May 5 • Canada 4, United States 5 (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
So was that the US D team beating the Canadian C team, which means a US B
team could beat a Canadian A team and medal in Sochi, right, lol.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Ward looks absolutely terrible. RNH had a rough game too.

Canada needs to start bringing elite skaters to international ice.

I don't know if Getzlaf is slow or injured or what, but he was looking like a tortoise out there today.

He is very, very lazy.

Last edited:

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
So to my Canadian friends, if we turned back the NHL to original 6 size
and only a N. American pool of players to pock from how many US players
on a 20 man roster would there be? My guess would be

G - 6

D - 13-15

F - 16-18

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
2 softies on 46 shots.... The 1st was weak ya... But we were awful, USA coulda won like 6-1.... He made some saves to keep us in it... The team failed him.

The first was weak, the forth was weak, the fifth was weak.

Cam Ward was bad. When people piss on a goalie who wins gold at the Olympics for this team, but gives a free pass to a goalie who lost for this team by giving up 5 goals it's obvious there's a bias.

FinRuutu

Red Wins
Feb 7, 2010
Helsinki
can-usa-050512-7-BK5Y1187.jpg

Come at me, bro?

or

Problem, Bobby?

can-usa-050512-9-BK5Y1272.jpg

Stastny: What is this?
Bouwmeester: I think it's a stick.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
The first was weak, the forth was weak, the fifth was weak.

Cam Ward was bad. When people piss on a goalie who wins gold at the Olympics for this team, but gives a free pass to a goalie who lost for this team by giving up 5 goals it's obvious there's a bias.

And if it were Luongo between the pipes of a 5-4 loss, you'd be just as quick to blame the loss on him, right?

Canada lost as a team today. Goaltending was far from the only problem, and I'd argue it wasn't even close to the biggest. This game was not won or lost between the pipes, for either team. The US was just the better team today. If anything, I think the score was a bit more flattering for Canada than the play was on the ice.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
The turnovers at the blue-lines for Canada were painful to watch. They looked very lacklustre today.

EDIT: USA definitely has an advantage in terms of speed. Canada looked slow compared to them. Nugent-Hopkins turnover in the third was just... :facepalm:

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
One team came to play and that was the Americans, and deserve full merit
for the victory. Canada needs to better in all facets of the game and play
with more sense of urgency if they want to come home with at least a medal.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
And if it were Luongo between the pipes of a 5-4 loss, you'd be just as quick to blame the loss on him, right?

Canada lost as a team today. Goaltending was far from the only problem, and I'd argue it wasn't even close to the biggest. This game was not won or lost between the pipes, for either team. The US was just the better team today. If anything, I think the score was a bit more flattering for Canada than the play was on the ice.

Yes I would.

All I hear is how great Cam Ward is and how he should be the starter in Sochi, yet he comes up with performances like yesterday and today. He is overrated and is far from a sure thing in net.

For as bad as Canada played today, we still scored 4 goals. If Cam Ward doesn't let in that softy with 3 minutes left we probably win the game.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Yes I would.

All I hear is how great Cam Ward is and how he should be the starter in Sochi, yet he comes up with performances like yesterday and today. He is overrated and is far from a sure thing in net.

For as bad as Canada played today, we still scored 4 goals. If Cam Ward doesn't let in that softy with 3 minutes left we probably win the game.

Sure you would. :shakehead

And if Ward doesn't play well in the 1st, the game might have ended up lopsided in the US's favor. If you're going to pin this loss on Ward, you're doing it by ignoring a bigger problem on the blue line. We could "what if" this game all day, and it doesn't change a thing. One team out-played the other today, and that team won.

I'll say it again: Goaltending did not lose Canada the game today. It just didn't win the game for them. The bigger issue for Canada should be their blue line, which just isn't all that impressive looking. The team in front of Ward let him down more than he let them down.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

And if Ward doesn't play well in the 1st, the game might have ended up lopsided in the US's favor. If you're going to pin this loss on Ward, you're doing it by ignoring a bigger problem on the blue line. We could "what if" this game all day, and it doesn't change a thing. One team out-played the other today, and that team won.

I'll say it again: Goaltending did not lose Canada the game today. It just didn't win the game for them. The bigger issue for Canada should be their blue line, which just isn't all that impressive looking. The team in front of Ward let him down more than he let them down.

What's with the headshake? I totally ripped Luongo when he blew it against the Hawks a couple years ago losing 7-5 in game 6. I call him out when he plays like crap, just like I call out other goalies like Cam Ward when they play like crap. The only difference is that there seems to be a general moving goal post when others judge Luongo vs. the majority of the other goalies out there. Luongo can look "shaky" and "just good enough" to win a gold medal when he only gave up 2 goals and came up with some big saves, but when Cam Ward gives up 5 goals it wasn't his fault, despite him giving up 3 weak goals. :shakehead

I recognize the defense was bad tonight too, they need to be better. But for all the accolades Ward gets about how great he supposedly is I would have expected a much better performance out of him. This is supposed to be apparently a top 10 goalie. He didn't play like one.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON

Wouldn't go that far. Canada from the net out was just pure trash today. Everyone (Ward included) was just abysmal. Every last one of them should be ashamed to put up a performance like that while wearing their country's colours.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Wouldn't go that far. Canada from the net out was just pure trash today. Everyone (Ward included) was just abysmal. Every last one of them should be ashamed to put up a performance like that while wearing their country's colours.

I agree with you there, although we did score 4 goals. We should be able to win with 4 goals of support.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada floated around like they did not even care.

This tournament should be held in July so that the best players can be made available to all teams.

Where was the crowd at this game as the stands looked empty.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I agree with you there, although we did score 4 goals. We should be able to win with 4 goals of support.

Offense doesn't mean jack without defense. Sure, they can score as much as they want, but if they can't keep the puck out of their net, it doesn't do much good.

On at least two of the goals, the defense was outworked by the US's 4th line immediately prior to the goal. Blaming Ward for that seems a little off.

Oyabun

Dec 29, 2009
Canada floated around like they did not even care.

This tournament should be held in July so that the best players can be made available to all teams.

Where was the crowd at this game as the stands looked empty.

Yep, those 3 pointers turned it into the US favour. Canada got screwed in this one.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Offense doesn't mean jack without defense. Sure, they can score as much as they want, but if they can't keep the puck out of their net, it doesn't do much good.

On at least two of the goals, the defense was outworked by the US's 4th line immediately prior to the goal. Blaming Ward for that seems a little off.

So because the defensemen were outworked by 4th liners that means Ward can't do his job either? They were weak goals that should have been stopped regardless of how the defense played. If Ward were left hung out to dry on 2 on 0's, then I could buy into this. But they were weak goals that went right through the 5-hole. He needs to stop those.

Kinjero

Aug 9, 2011
YSJ
We are notoriously slow starters in these tourneys, but why aren't people giving any blame to Hockey Canada for any of this? Don't you think if they would have picked the team a few weeks earlier, and had a longer camp with more prep, they would look a little better?? Instead we wait till the last moment and expect everything to be just dandy. If you don't take the tourney seriously, you can expect low results. It is what they make of it. Just my 5 cents (not the value of my opinion, just there's no more pennies) ;)

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So because the defensemen were outworked by 4th liners that means Ward can't do his job either? They were weak goals that should have been stopped regardless of how the defense played. If Ward were left hung out to dry on 2 on 0's, then I could buy into this. But they were weak goals that went right through the 5-hole. He needs to stop those.

Ward's job is to keep his team in the game. Considering he faced 40+ shots and still got it to OT, I'd say he did his job. He didn't have a great game, but neither did the rest of the team. Putting the majority of the blame on Ward is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad