GDT: Group H • May 5 • Canada 4, United States 5 (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
This is true. Ward was not the issue - altho, like Canadian posters said, it would be nice if a Canadian goalie stole us a game once in a while.

The issue was the team as a whole. They did not play up the sum of their collective parts. They were not even close. And they did not seem to be trying anywhere near as hard as the Americans.

Ward didn't give Canada a chance to win. He almost blew it by giving up a weak goal late, and the proceeded to blow it by giving up a bad goal in OT.

He let in 5 goals, he didn't give his team a chance to win. It isn't like our offense no-showed. When you put up 4 goals in a game you should be winning it.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Ward didn't give Canada a chance to win. He almost blew it by giving up a weak goal late, and the proceeded to blow it by giving up a bad goal in OT.

He let in 5 goals, he didn't give his team a chance to win. It isn't like our offense no-showed. When you put up 4 goals in a game you should be winning it.

Canada's defense was pure garbage. It wouldn't have mattered one iota who was in net with how they were outskated and outplayed.

In both soccer and hockey the US seems to lag well behind in terms of skill development and instead relies mostly on pure athleticism to win. In hockey it can be successful, in soccer not so much. Most other US sports are heavily reliant on athleticism. Basketball is the only one with a significant skill component.

No kidding on soccer. I was pretty good before my knees went to crap, but every tryout I went to cared more about my top speed and how fast I could get from standstill to top speed (since I was pretty short) then what I could do with the ball. Thankfully I was pretty fast before blowing out my ACL and MCL but there were players even more skilled then I was getting completely ignored because they were "too slow for their size". It's amazing that Donovan and Dempsey turned out as good as they did with what was emphasized with our generation in the US.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose

Both Howard and Ward let in 4 and it had to be resolved in OT. I think given the circumstances, Ward did indeed give the Canadians a chance.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Both Howard and Ward let in 4 and it had to be resolved in OT. I think given the circumstances, Ward did indeed give the Canadians a chance.

I'm not talking about Howard. I'm talking about Cam Ward. American fans can ***** about Howard all they want if they choose.

If Cam Ward stops a few of those weak goals he let in, Canada wins easily.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I think what bothers many Canadians is we've always been better at hockey compared to the US. (Not much else though-that's not a dig against Canada, it's just with a population of 33 million compared to 300+ we have to be exceptional to beat the US at other things)
Because of that and the incredible results coming from USA hockey in the last few years, a little jealousy might be creeping in.

I have said for years that USA hockey is finally getting it right and developing players properly.
I know 3 families from Canada with 5 boys that moved to the states in the last few years. All played minor hockey in Canada, yet when they joined minor hockey in the US the biggest difference was the emphasis on speed first, puck control second and positional play third. Very little emphasis on the physical aspect of the game until they played bantam. (14 years old)

In Canada it's positional play, physical play (taking the man) puck control and speed. In Canada, at least for these 3 families skating was usually loops around the ice in both directions. In the US it was first skating from goal line to far blue line, stop and back to the other blue line (prevents kids from falling and hitting the boards) As they get older goal line to goal line (once they master stopping)

Most of these drills were without the puck in the early ages. As they got older they use a puck.

It's no secret that kids play more games in Canada, and the US kids practice more.

As for those Canadians bringing up the gold medal in Vancouver, had the rules of 1980 been in place, the US would have won gold.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
1. USA
2. Finland
3. Sweden
4. Canada

I would say that SWE and CAN is pretty even here right now, Sweden got the best goaltender (between SWE and CAN) and that is Lundqvist, but Canada have better depth there, Loungo IS still good and thier is a lot of solid second options.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Perhaps I worded my post badly. In no way did I mean any disrespect to the US squad, because on this day, they deserved to win. The work ethic and heart they displayed for a full sixty minutes was superior to the effort that the Canadian team put forth, and for that, I applaud the Americans on a well-deserved victory. I just find it rather unsettling to see a team full of Tavares’, Getzlafs, Perrys, Eberles, Hopkins, etc, get outplayed by opposition players such as Joey Crabb and Patrick Dwyer. Granted, the Americans have some very good top-line talent of their own, but on this day, it was their muckers and grinders who won them the game, and to be beaten by players of that caliber – well, to be entirely honest, I don’t know how I can call it anything but embarrassing. The Americans should be proud of the effort they put forth. The Canadians should be extra motivated to find out exactly what went wrong, and how to rectify the issue moving forward.

There's nothing wrong with being embarrassed ofc if your team played badly, I just felt that your initial post was more driven towards the idea of it being embarrassing to "lose against such a bad team", rather than being embarrassed about your teams play. Also you make it out as if the US team is filled with grinders from the German league.

A team of Tavares', Getzlafs and Perrys can easily lose to a team with Jack Johnson, Bobby Ryan, Max Pacioretty, Alex Goligoski, Kyle Okposo and Cam Fowler. I think we can both agree these guys are no muckers. I just don't see how that's embarrassing. Disappointing, yes, embarrassing, no. This is without commenting on the game itself at all, but in general.

I think that Canada losing to the Americans with these rosters is just variance, not even all that surprising. I was mildly surprised of course, but not jaw-dropped by any means.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
I find it amusing that people are saying that Ward was so bad they'd even "settle" for the goalie who has the greatest elimination game record in senior international play of any goalie in history

BLBarmada

Wardo gave us a chance, keep in mind these guys haven't played in weeks.

USA Played better, we were just awful, nothing to it.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
There's nothing wrong with being embarrassed ofc if your team played badly, I just felt that your initial post was more driven towards the idea of it being embarrassing to "lose against such a bad team", rather than being embarrassed about your teams play. Also you make it out as if the US team is filled with grinders from the German league.

A team of Tavares', Getzlafs and Perrys can easily lose to a team with Jack Johnson, Bobby Ryan, Max Pacioretty, Alex Goligoski, Kyle Okposo and Cam Fowler. I think we can both agree these guys are no muckers. I just don't see how that's embarrassing. Disappointing, yes, embarrassing, no. This is without commenting on the game itself at all, but in general.

I think that Canada losing to the Americans with these rosters is just variance, not even all that surprising. I was mildly surprised of course, but not jaw-dropped by any means.

I'm embarrassed with my team's effort. I have no problem with Canada losing if I feel like they've given it their best shot. I do not feel as though they came anywhere close to giving it their all today though. The problem with Team Canada is that I feel more often than not that they haven't left everything on the ice, and that they could have done more.

And yes, as I mentioned in my last post, the US does have a lot of talented players. I was not referring to the players you mentioned as muckers and grinders. What I meant was that today, their top-tier players sort of took a back seat, and the muckers and grinders (the Crabb, Dwyer types) were the ones that did the most damage. I found it embarrassing that some of our players who are supposed to be elite at their positions got outplayed by players such as the two aforementioned American ones. But again, that is a reflection on the effort put forth by the Canadian team. The US did everything right today.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
No offense to the Americans, but when you're a team with as much talent as Team Canada and guys like Dwyer, Thompson, Lasch and Slater are out-playing you, there's something seriously wrong with how both the coaching staff and players are approaching the game. There is a reason why Brent Sutter is a Flames cast-off, and this tournament is demonstrating that. Absolutely pitiful.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Wardo gave us a chance, keep in mind these guys haven't played in weeks.

USA Played better, we were just awful, nothing to it.

This is why Ward is grossly overrated. When a goalie can give up several weak goals including a late goal and the game winner, 5 goals in one game, yet people somehow still say he played well....there's something very wrong.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
No offense to the Americans, but when you're a team with as much talent as Team Canada and guys like Dwyer, Thompson, Lasch and Slater are out-playing you, there's something seriously wrong with how both the coaching staff and players are approaching the game. There is a reason why Brent Sutter is a Flames cast-off, and this tournament is demonstrating that. Absolutely pitiful.

Wasn't this game Sutters first loss as head coach of a Canadian team?

Leaf

Apr 25, 2012
This is why Ward is grossly overrated. When a goalie can give up several weak goals including a late goal and the game winner, 5 goals in one game, yet people somehow still say he played well....there's something very wrong.

I think you have a misconception of what 'grossly overrated' means. Also, I don't think people are really impressed by how Ward played. They just seem off-setting because of people with 'burn-at-the-stake' opinions such as yourself.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I think what bothers many Canadians is we've always been better at hockey compared to the US. (Not much else though-that's not a dig against Canada, it's just with a population of 33 million compared to 300+ we have to be exceptional to beat the US at other things)
Because of that and the incredible results coming from USA hockey in the last few years, a little jealousy might be creeping in.

I have said for years that USA hockey is finally getting it right and developing players properly.
I know 3 families from Canada with 5 boys that moved to the states in the last few years. All played minor hockey in Canada, yet when they joined minor hockey in the US the biggest difference was the emphasis on speed first, puck control second and positional play third. Very little emphasis on the physical aspect of the game until they played bantam. (14 years old)

In Canada it's positional play, physical play (taking the man) puck control and speed. In Canada, at least for these 3 families skating was usually loops around the ice in both directions. In the US it was first skating from goal line to far blue line, stop and back to the other blue line (prevents kids from falling and hitting the boards) As they get older goal line to goal line (once they master stopping)

Most of these drills were without the puck in the early ages. As they got older they use a puck.

It's no secret that kids play more games in Canada, and the US kids practice more.

As for those Canadians bringing up the gold medal in Vancouver, had the rules of 1980 been in place, the US would have won gold.

I think USA hockey has made some good changes recently with the ADM and non contact rules. I can't really say too much about it since I don't have kids but I see them practicing often before I play. The smaller ice surface will hopefully encourage more skilled play (not just outskating the other kids) and in turn get more kids on the puck more often.

I'd much rather encourage skill with the pucks than speed.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I'm not talking about Howard. I'm talking about Cam Ward. American fans can ***** about Howard all they want if they choose.

If Cam Ward stops a few of those weak goals he let in, Canada wins easily.

If their defense plays better they win too. Ditto for their forwards. Canada wasn't the best team on the ice today. That's why they lost. Goaltending did not lose this game for Canada. It just didn't win it for them.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I think you have a misconception of what 'grossly overrated' means. Also, I don't think people are really impressed by how Ward played. They just seem off-setting because of people with 'burn-at-the-stake' opinions such as yourself.

I wasn't impressed with either goaltender today. :dunno:

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I don't think Howard played particularly well today either. Neither goalie were covering themselves in particular glory.

Ward 41/46 89%
Howard 30/34 88%

You could tell these teams had been together for about a week and many players hadn't played in a few weeks. The defensive errors, the confusion on the ice at different times.

Zuuuuc

Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Didn't get to watch the game as I had an exam for work at 1pm. Watched the extended highlights on TSN. Looks like I missed an exciting game, would have liked for Canada to win, but the US side has a really strong team

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I don't think Howard played particularly well today either. Neither goalie were covering themselves in particular glory.

Ward 41/46 89%
Howard 30/34 88%

You could tell these teams had been together for about a week and many players hadn't played in a few weeks. The defensive errors, the confusion on the ice at different times.

I agree. I also felt like when the US blue line had the puck they were very much in control, but they got a little scrambly at times when they didn't. If they can possess the puck more than the opposing team, I think they could surprise some people.

BLBarmada

2 softies on 46 shots.... The 1st was weak ya... But we were awful, USA coulda won like 6-1.... He made some saves to keep us in it... The team failed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad