GDT: Group H • May 5 • Canada 4, United States 5 (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
How was Ryan Lasch?

He looked good. Created a lot of chances and wasn't afraid to take a hit or battle for a puck - despite being smaller than everyone on Team Canada. Probably annoyed the crap out of TC - which is a good thing if you're Lasch.

After this game, maybe he does have a chance to play in the NHL.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
this was glorious!

still waiting to hear from all those Canada posters " Our 10th line is better then your first line"...hahahaha

US dominated from the start to the finish, and it wasnt even close.

LOL at people just blaming Ward...your team got outplayed, a fail from top to bottom not just Ward.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
if anything, I think Howard was the weaker goalie as he gave up some real big softies...I mean 50 feet out softies on half the amount of shots that Ward faced...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
as many of us talked about way earlier in this thread, the US has brought such a mobile and offensively inclined blueline that it really will be our calling card.

not many teams can match the speed and skill we are bringing from the point. our transition game on the big ice looks great, and our overall team speed looks excellent. players like Atkinson, Lasch, and Dwyer are just flying out there...shocked at how good those 3 have looked to be honest.

J.T Brown hasnt played much, but outside of him, I think the US forwards look fast, hungry, and physical...they are buzzing out there...

Jimmy Slater is looking amazingly solid on the 2nd line, him and Okposo have great chemistry...if Garth Snow was smart he would go out and sign Slater and keep them together as a line.

this team still lacks another top end forward, so still hoping for a T.J Oshie as he would just add even more grit and speed to this team...

the one player that didnt look as great as I was hoping was Kyle Palmieri. He made a number of turnovers and really didnt generate much offense when he was on the ice. he is still such a young kid, and the matchup was big, so I am keeping out hope that he turns it on over the next 3-4 games.

Very proud of this group as they have already exceeded many peoples expectations already. this team has enough talent to medal, but the grit and speed is what puts us in a great spot. Howard needs to step up and stop letting in momentum killers, but I think he will be fine as he is a legit #1.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Can't really agree on the defence. Keith is clearly the best on either team, and Bouwmeester is probably second. Butler, Petry, Braun and Faulk certainly don't scare anyone, but of course Schenn and Murray don't do that for Canada either. Vlasic is probably better defensively than any American defenceman and Phaneuf... who knows with him. He's roughly the same as Johnson though. USA has a decent top 3 for this tournament but it isn't an impressive group really. If Canada didn't have the injuries on the blueline I would have them decidedly ahead.

still think that :sarcasm:

as I said prior to this game, the US has the best group of mobile blueliners in the tourney. they just showed exactly what I was talking about, and the Canada blueline showed exactly what I was talking about.

Canada really couldnt generate a ton from their blueline as well as really not being able to keep up with the speedy US forwards...they were always chasing...

the US will win or lose by this blueline, something I didnt think I would really be saying for this tournament. As long as the US plays smart and aggressive hockey, I think they will be in most games they play in...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He looked good. Created a lot of chances and wasn't afraid to take a hit or battle for a puck - despite being smaller than everyone on Team Canada. Probably annoyed the crap out of TC - which is a good thing if you're Lasch.

After this game, maybe he does have a chance to play in the NHL.

agreed.

Lasch was impressive to say the least. the kid would get knocked down, but bounce back up like nothing happened.

he looked like he could handle the size and grit of the NHL, he has speed to burn and some solid vision.... I can see a team giving him a shot next year or in 2 years..

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
the problem with canada for a while has been that they overrate their own and underrate their opponents. you pointed out the defense comment, so i'll touch on that.

Aside from Keith, who brings the offense from the back end for Canada? Phaneuf is basically the only one. Bouwmeester is always touted as having such elite skills/etc, but he produces about as many pts as Vlasic (and from being a Sharks fan, I know he's a blackhole offensively). Honestly, whenever Vlasic, Schenn, Methot, Murray or Bouwmeester got the puck I knew the weren't going to score with it. I'm sure this wasn't Hockey Canada's original plan since Subban is a puck mover and they had some guys decline.*

Murray isn't even an NHL player yet. he is probably only there so teams (like Edmonton; I think Lowe still works there) can scout him more. its never a good idea when you have guys there for the wrong reasons. Unless every other *Canadian defenseman declined, it doesn't make sense.

It's a defense core with a few overrated guys, a junior defenseman, and some black holes offensively. Not the best group of skaters either. The strength of the Canadian team is their outstanding forward depth. They just spent too much time defending in this game.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Did Hamhuis get asked, seems really odd he did not make the team.

espo*

I sure like Jack Johnson, he's my kind of player.

Wish he was Canadian.

Still, having said that..................I think we'll have to assassinate the *****.

He's a pain in the ass.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
still think that :sarcasm:

as I said prior to this game, the US has the best group of mobile blueliners in the tourney. they just showed exactly what I was talking about, and the Canada blueline showed exactly what I was talking about.

Canada really couldnt generate a ton from their blueline as well as really not being able to keep up with the speedy US forwards...they were always chasing...

the US will win or lose by this blueline, something I didnt think I would really be saying for this tournament. As long as the US plays smart and aggressive hockey, I think they will be in most games they play in...

Yes, I still think that. I already referenced your comments after the game, but I guess it's better for you to gloat while the opportunity is still present. It was one game, and it was primarily decided in one on one battles that Americans dominated. I have to admire your confidence in this group (and your ability to massively overrate their mobility), but I am anxious to see what you say when they inevitably lose in the quarters or semis when they play a team that is both skilled and motivated. In one game anything can happen, but there is a reason that so many of these players are marginal NHLers.

espo*

Oh, we can beat them.........we just need to come together as a team and focus/compete with more pride.

The U.S team here seems to already have that.

That's an edge.

Still, if some leader steps up and says we aren't to be hitting the bars at 3 o'clock in the morning and start to play Hockey we should take them out next time we face them.

The talent is there to beat them................but it doesn't come without sacrifice.

Yes, I still think that. I already referenced your comments after the game, but I guess it's better for you to gloat while the opportunity is still present. It was one game, and it was primarily decided in one on one battles that Americans dominated. I have to admire your confidence in this group (and your ability to massively overrate their mobility), but I am anxious to see what you say when they inevitably lose in the quarters or semis when they play a team that is both skilled and motivated. In one game anything can happen, but there is a reason that so many of these players are marginal NHLers.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Before everybody gets their shorts in a knot it needs to be remembered that this is a totally meaningless game as far as the eventual winner is concerned. Nobody has won a thing yet. Neither teams defence looked very sound and both goalies looked pretty questionable. Not sure about the US team but Team Canada sure had some passengers along for the ride.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

sorry, with over 30 pages in the thread, couldnt find it...

I like how certain people want to call "stating facts" as gloating. I said the exact thing before the game...so I was gloating then I guess as well?

It is okay for Canada to have some humility on these boards, after reading how your 10th line would beat our 2nd line, but you still have the same issues for the rest of the tournament and it was just highlighted by team USA.

I have no idea how well team USA will do in this tournament, as it is irrelevant right now...we just beat you, and with the players you thought were nowhere near as talented as your defensive players as the difference makers.

Canada might win THE GOLD, and the US might finish 6th...couldnt care as I never stated otherwise. All I said was the US has the most mobile defense in this tournament, and team Canada looks to have a few pylons out there...team USA will win or die by that group.

gloating...or factual...?? I am going to go with factual.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I sure like Jack Johnson, he's my kind of player.

Wish he was Canadian.

Still, having said that..................I think we'll have to assassinate the *****.

He's a pain in the ass.

hahahaha, and thats how he likes it!

JMFJ has a passion with playing against Canada, I wish there were more players like him on both sides of the pond...these games between the US and Canada should be more heated imo....it started to get there around the 3rd period...but I think it can get even better

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
I don't believe that anybody believes Canada's program is in danger of being passed by the Americans. This is Canada's sport and, as an American, I'm certainly ok with that.

That said, any game that we win in tourneys like these is important for the US. I certainly don't believe that either team has their top players here, but I think it's a really good sign that we continuously play tight games against Canada, in a variety of formats. Shows growth in our program....the future is very bright.

Ilyeu

Jan 10, 2010
I like how everyone is getting their panties in a bunch. First time since 2001 the Americans beat Team Canada.

I've always said Team Canada needs to focus more on skating speed and basic skills. It's not enough these days what we teach out kids, since the Americans are doing new things.

It's one game, congrats, but for all you newbie Americans who just started watching this tournament the last few years, don't get to ahead of yourself. One wind today, the next day you get thumped by Switzerland.

You can be Canada will bounce. For all the domination of Team USA they just managed a 5-4 victory in ot.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
I don't believe that anybody believes Canada's program is in danger of being passed by the Americans. This is Canada's sport and, as an American, I'm certainly ok with that.

That said, any game that we win in tourneys like these is important for the US. I certainly don't believe that either team has their top players here, but I think it's a really good sign that we continuously play tight games against Canada, in a variety of formats. Shows growth in our program....the future is very bright.

I believe it. Much bigger pool of athletes to choose from. In fact if USA hockey tweaked it's program it would probably already have surpassed Canada.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I like how everyone is getting their panties in a bunch. First time since 2001 the Americans beat Team Canada.

I've always said Team Canada needs to focus more on skating speed and basic skills. It's not enough these days what we teach out kids, since the Americans are doing new things.

It's one game, congrats, but for all you newbie Americans who just started watching this tournament the last few years, don't get to ahead of yourself. One wind today, the next day you get thumped by Switzerland.

You can be Canada will bounce. For all the domination of Team USA they just managed a 5-4 victory in ot.

2010 you mean (Olympic round-robin game).

And trust us, we know the Americans track record in this tournament. But still, it's a big win for us. Now on to Slovakia on Monday.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Canada has 468,096 junior players vs the US 302,104

:dunno:

I'm not sure where these figures come from or exactly what they mean but my point was to suggest that the USA has a bigger pool of athletes overall and will soon has a larger pool of hockey players to choose from. The numbers registering for competitive hockey players is falling in Canada .

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I'm not sure where these figures come from or exactly what they mean but my point was to suggest that the USA has a bigger pool of athletes overall and will soon has a larger pool of hockey players to choose from. The numbers registering for competitive hockey players is falling in Canada .

They are from IIHF, Hockey Canada and USA Hockey. Canada has more hockey players and the game is ingrained in the culture much deeper (only in a few states does it even come close) and a much deeper infrastructure than the US. The US has a long long way to go.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
He meant the US has ten times Canada's population for *potential* players.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
He meant the US has ten times Canada's population for *potential* players.

Well sure, but then China and Brazil should be hockey powers. The problem is that for now, our hockey playing populace is about the same as Canada. I believe the combined population of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, New York and New New England is around 40-50 million.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
They are from IIHF, Hockey Canada and USA Hockey. Canada has more hockey players and the game is ingrained in the culture much deeper (only in a few states does it even come close) and a much deeper infrastructure than the US. The US has a long long way to go.

I don't mean to argue with you Xokkeu because your point of view is valid especially at the moment. Your elite players are now coming from all over the place, California, Texas, Minnesota, New York etc. in other words non traditional hockey markets.

I know that those quoted statistics are bandied about all over the place but again I really don't know what they mean. Do they include, girls and boys, house league players, recreational players of all ages or competitive players? If you know what they mean then please tell me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad