GDT: Group B - May 8 - Korea vs Latvia

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
New lines:
Redlihs - Dzerins - Indrasis
Balcers - Abols - Kenins
Ro. Bukarts - Jevpalovs - Karsums
Razgals - Meija - Ri. Bukarts

The lines are tailored with the thought of Korea in mind. So Pavlovs has been benched since he adds nothing offensively.

I like the way it looks, 3 decent offensive lines and a 4th line with a lot of size and energy.

Merzlikins should be in goal.

No doubt we're going to take this game very seriously. We even rested our top players against Finland. Anything other than 3 points is going to be a massive upset and Hartley will probably have to go if we lose this one.

A little fun fact, the last time we played Korea in the 90s, we beat them 27:0, which still is their biggest recorded loss in history.

Who do you mean? Looking at TOI only Karsums time on ice seems to be very low

Also wonder how Koreans 3rd line will handle Bukarts

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Who do you mean? Looking at TOI only Karsums time on ice seems to be very low

Also wonder how Koreans 3rd line will handle Bukarts
Karsums and Dzerins (1C) didn't play in the 3rd period and the 3rd/4th line had the most playing time. In the end, 4C was on the ice as long as 1C.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Asia League? How goog is this league?
About as good as the Latvian league, which is semi-pro. A Latvian journeyman Pecura consistently scored 40+ points per season there. Or similar to Swedish Division 1 (3rd tier). Something like that.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Match line-up:

Merzlikins

Galviņš - Cibuļskis
Balinskis - Sotnieks
Rubīns - Freibergs
Zīle

Ro.Bukarts - Džeriņš - Indrašis
Karsums - Ābols - Rēdlihs
Ķēniņš - Pavlovs - Balcers
Razgals - Jevpalovs - Ri.Bukarts
Meija

So, after mixing up the line-up's at yesterday's practice, Balcers is still on the third line and the only change Stubborn Bob did was switching Meija for Razgals..
Jesus Christ. I hate that 3rd line. No words.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
If only Latvian federation could have a professional communications guy, not a failed journalist.. So, the final line-up looks like this after all:

Merzlikins

Galviņš - Cibuļskis
Balinskis - Sotnieks
Rubīns - Freibergs
Zīle

Rēdlihs - Džeriņš - Indrašis
Ķēniņš - Ābols - Balcers
Ro. Bukarts - Jevpalovs - Karsums
Razgals - Meija - Ri. Bukarts
Pavlovs

Reynys

Apr 30, 2011
The Latvian players with Div1 experience have posted very similar numbers in the Latvian league. The upper tier teams in Div1 are better, but on average I believe it's pretty close.
it is a bit unfair to compare leagues based just solely on goals (points) scored imo.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
it is a bit unfair to compare leagues based just solely on goals (points) scored imo.
Point equivalency is a widely used indicator to compare the quality of different leagues. When it's done seriously, you have to account for average goals scored per game, TOI, etc. What specifically is unfair about it?

GX

Dec 28, 2011
That's true. The only time in recent history I can recall Latvian league teams playing vs. Division 1 was last summer, when Wings HC played in a pre-season tournament in Liepaja with Top 3 Latvian league teams. Wings lost all three games (1:5, 2:4, 2:3). Ultimately, though, this spring Wings finished last in Division 1 and got relegated.

Overall, Division 1 is clearly better than Latvian league, however, the top Latvian teams could be mid-tier players in Division 1. Bottom half of Latvian league would be nowhere near Division 1.

Reynys

Apr 30, 2011
Point equivalency is a widely used indicator to compare the quality of different leagues. When it's done seriously, you have to account for average goals scored per game, TOI, etc. What specifically is unfair about it?
I'm not saying that those comparisons are completely useless, but when comparing same player playing in 2 different leagues there are several factors that can drastically change point production - role on team and playing time, is it a bottom or upper team, players form, what players are he playing with, etc... what I'm saying is those, especially if comparing lower level hockey leagues, comparisons will be pretty vague.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad