GDT: Group B • Dec. 31 • Canada 3, United States 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I have to think that this game will mean a lot to the U.S. kids, it is for all intent and purposes, their "gold" medal game. I'm not saying they will win but in no way do they come out flat.

I really hope that they give Canada a game and a win will soothe a lot of hurt feelings.

Agree!

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Shocked if a gold medal doesn't involve beating both of them.

Actually, I would not be surprised if we see more upsets.

1) If the Czechs win today, they finish 2nd and the Fins 3rd.

2) The Fins would play Sweden in the Quarters and, given their history, maybe the Fins win.

3) If the Czechs win their Quarter final game, they would face Russia in the Semi's. Given their history, I could see an upset as well.

I am predicting Canada sees only one of them (Sweden or Russia), at most, before the Gold medal game. Maybe they see neither of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
This game's about pride, if they have the opportunity to shut up the Canadian crowd just once during this tournament, then that should be motivation enough. No need to hold back in this game for the U.S., whereas the concern for injuries and more meaningful tournament games ahead may be in the minds of the Canadians and impact their play today.

Yes but there is a fine line the States does not want to come out and goon it up and risk suspensions.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009

2) The Fins would play Sweden in the Quarters and given their history, maybe the Fins win.

3) If the Czechs win their Quarter final game, they would face Russia in the Semi's. Given their history, I could see an upset as well.

I am predicting Canada sees only one of them (Canada or Russia), at most, before the Gold medal game.

People called yeaterday's Czech win vs the US an upset. Not really. The US never really got into this tournament at all.

If the Czechs beat the Russians, that would be an enormous upset, in my opinion. Same with the Finns vs the Swedes. The Czechs are riding a hot goalie, but a couple bad bounces and those 50 shots a game end that ride real fast. I haven't been impressed by the Finns at all, really. I know that Mi Granlund has been touted as the next great Swedish hockey player...well, they play him a ton of minutes, and he's been good, not great.

Having watched all of the teams involved a few times now, Russia - Sweden - Canada are the class of the tournament. It'll take a massive upset to keep two of those three from the gold medal game, imo.

WayneBruce

Jun 16, 2011

2) The Fins would play Sweden in the Quarters and, given their history, maybe the Fins win.

I am predicting Canada sees only one of them (Sweden or Russia), at most, before the Gold medal game. Maybe they see neither of them.

Me too, because Canada will only play one game before the gold medal game

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

People called yeaterday's Czech win vs the US an upset. Not really. The US never really got into this tournament at all. If the Czechs beat the Russians, that would be an enormous upset, in my opinion. Same with the Finns vs the Swedes. The Czechs are riding a hot goalie, but a couple bad bounces and those 50 shots a game end that ride real fast. I haven't been impressed by the Finns at all, really. I know that Mi Granlund has been touted as the next great Swedish hockey player...well, they play him a ton of minutes, and he's been good, not great. Having watched all of the teams involved a few times now, Russia - Sweden - Canada are the class of the tournament. It'll take a massive upset to keep two of those three from the gold medal game, imo.

Hi Fly:

If it was only a hot goalie I would agree. Again, there is a ton of history involved. Also, I have watched all of games as well and Russia/Sweden have been beating up on a very weak pool of teams - IMO.

If the Czechs beat Finland today, I will bet you a Loonie that Canada only sees (at most) one (Russia or Sweden) - assuming they get to the Gold medal game. :sarcasm:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Me too, because Canada will only play one game before the gold medal game

You know what I mean... :(

Let me rephrase...

Canada will only play one of them this tournament including the Gold medal game.

Mynameismark*

Americans will try to play a "canadian" game against us but that falls in our favour every time.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Americans will try to play a "canadian" game against us but that falls in our favour every time.

I agree with this and I also wonder if that is what came back to haunt them this tournament. Perhaps, it did not translate well against European opponents.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Hi Fly:

If it was only a hot goalie I would agree. Again, there is a ton of history involved. Also, I have watched all of games as well and Russia/Sweden have been beating up on a very weak pool of teams - IMO.

If the Czechs beat Finland today, I will bet you a Loonie that Canada only sees (at most) one (Russia or Sweden) - assuming they get to the Gold medal game. :sarcasm:

You are 100% correct with the history comment. There have been Czech and Finn upsets in the past, so who knows...

As for the loonie bet, let me work that one out in my head...nah I don't think so.;)

fly4apuckguy
It was a upset the Ststaes was expected to be atleast in the semi final's.

If this was Day 1, yes. But based on how they looked against the Finns on Dec 28th, I would have been surprised if they had beaten the Czechs.

Ilyeu

Jan 10, 2010
The American players better not purposely injure our players, by 'intensifying' the game.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I hope the US will not goon the game...angry americans are stupid americans.

Actually, I will give the Americans credit on how well they have handled goals and wins (singular) this tournament. They have almost been reserved in their celebration.

Some of the European celebrations have been over the top. But, then again, love the Czech goalie!

Last edited by a moderator:

Booom

Jan 1, 2011

Sweden and Russia will roll those teams, the Americans are just an awful team but that doesn't make other upsets likely to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad