GDT: Group B • Dec. 26 • Finland 1, Canada 8 • Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

cenas*

I thought he was pretty nifty with the puck at times, but not very effective overall. I hate to say it in a way, but it is the same old story we hear every year about some hotshot from wherever, who usually turns out to be not so great against a big, strong defensive team like we usually produce.

I'd love to see someone like that Stone kid playing on Team Finland or Switzerland and see if he'd score 3 in one game..

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Bob Mckenzie just tweeted:

FIN also lost a player -- defenceman Olli Maata, a likely first rounder in 2012 NHL draft from London Knights, suffered apparent concussion

Not news but some people thought it might be his knee.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I'd love to see someone like that Stone kid playing on Team Finland or Switzerland and see if he'd score 3 in one game..

To be honest, probably not. I think you are trying to antagonize me, but I agree. I don't think Stone scores 3 against Canada either. But he doesn't have to play against Canada.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
That was on Ristolainen who decided to go behind the goal for some reason and check someone.

Actually I would put the blame on Granlund, he should've stayed where he was, instead of skating to the middle and giving Huberdeau a free lane towards the goal.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Actually I would put the blame on Granlund, he should've stayed where he was, instead of skating to the middle and giving Huberdeau a free lane towards the goal.

He seemed to misjudge Risto's recovery time and did exacerbate the problem.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Just our ****ing luck. :shakehead

It's a loss that's nearly impossible to replace. His physical play, his leadership, and just the way he can change the game with a dominating shift that will be sorely missed... but it's not official, so we'll wait for that...but Bobby Mac is a Hockey God...he's never wrong :(

This will put Pearson onto a regular role on the bottom two lines and Connolly will have a chance to step up onto that checking line which Coach Hay put him on towards the end of the game. He doesn't bring what DSP brings but he'll have to his best to compliment that line and make it effective. Or I can even see Gallagher filling that role out while Connolly plays with Schwartzy.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
Bob Mckenzie just tweeted:

FIN also lost a player -- defenceman Olli Maata, a likely first rounder in 2012 NHL draft from London Knights, suffered apparent concussion

Not news but some people thought it might be his knee.

Weren't they originally talking about "upper-body injury"? Not sure because I had a Swedish stream, so couldn't understand 85% of it...

Lennu

May 8, 2011

Well, Rasmus Ristolainen made that stupid check behind the net. Not really sure if Granlund noticed that and just tried to shut down pass lane.

Granlund made a lot of scoring changes but Pulkkinen isn't actually a natural goalscorer, he just has that unbelievable screamer slap shot. 1st line could have scored maybe 3 or 4 goals. Markus Granlund was horrible, stopped playing when the score was 4-1 and just shook his head after every shift.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Weren't they originally talking about "upper-body injury"? Not sure because I had a Swedish stream, so couldn't understand 85% of it...

I was talking about people on here speculating it may have been a knee. Never heard the upper body thing.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Canada tried to take advantage of specific underage Finnish dmen and it worked. But this game wasn't Canada dominating, it was more Finland crapping the bed. Visentin played well, but there are holes in his game that will be exploited by the US, but the Finns were off so they just couldn't take advantage.

This. Glad to see some non-Finn see the "truth" as well.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Well, Rasmus Ristolainen made that stupid check behind the net. Not really sure if Granlund noticed that and just tried to shut down pass lane.

Granlund made a lot of scoring changes but Pulkkinen isn't actually a natural goalscorer, he just has that unbelievable screamer slap shot. 1st line could have scored maybe 3 or 4 goals. Markus Granlund was horrible, stopped playing when the score was 4-1 and just shook his head after every shift.

Actually he is a natural score, his stats through out his career indicate that. he's jut turned into a playmaker in the past year two due to his line at Jokerit.

Helminen at least recognized that he failed utterly in preparing the team for the game: http://yle.fi/urheilu/lajit/jaakiek...lminen_epaonnistuin_aivan_taysin_3129980.html

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Visentin overplayed the puck all day, U.S. and teams like Sweden and Russia in the other group pool will expose him on cross ice passing plays. You can agree or disagree if you felt he played well today, but if not for Canada Dmen playing goalie it would have been 3 or 4 goals.

Yeah, like the USA exposed him in the Semi-finals last year.:sarcasm:

One period in which the team infront of him stopped playing and this kid will never lose this stigman. Its a shame really.

If not for the Dmen in the pre-tourny Sweden game he would have let in 1. Instead of 4.

AVSfan2daMAX

Nov 24, 2006
What a dominant game by the Canadians. They play like that and it won't matter if they don't have "pure goal scorers". Obviously Stone and Huberdeau had huge performances which is great to see a line establish itself as the top line. I don't think Visentin redeemed himself yet. He was good, but honestly, he wasn't really busy. He had some awkward moments throughout the game though.

Very disappointed with Finland's effort though. They were still in the game, but after the 3rd goal, they just folded like a cheap tent. Their defense is very porous too. Looked like their were a lot of young guys on the blue line.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Were able to watch untill 6-1 with my friends... then we just started to play valepaskahousu. I dont know how the players can get mentally up from this.. I would just drink the rest of the tournament as a holiday and quit playing. This clearly shows that we aint going nowhere close to medaling from here... I would like to believe in us but.. wow. just wow.

If theres 1 good thing.. Then its thank you Canada for scoring 8 goals instead of like 4, so they maybe ****ing wake up. It looked like they were crapping their bed and respecting the enemy too much. Also i know all hockey critics allways say blaming goalie is stupid but cmon... That idiot in the net sucked everything in, scoring chance = goal, every time. He aint even finnish.. gibbson or what.. what a joke... Where did he even play? We have great goaltending factory and we put this guy from some foreign junior league in the net.. ridiclouse. This game was a joke by finns.. the whole teams looks like a joke.. It even made us fans look like a joke because the name list made us to wait for better result :laugh: GL canadians, nothing but "owned" can be said really. Stupid to go defensive here.

Theres only 1 way when youre at bottom.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I think Finland has definately shown that they were the best offensive team...

what a joke
Come on man, you seriously believe everything that you read from the papers?

Finland has better offence than usually, though nowhere near the usual top4 nations..

EK65IsAGod

SensWerePrettyPesky
Jul 31, 2011
Maritimes
Wow Visentin must be an allstar, he held the almighty Mikael Granlund to zero points!

I'm kidding...please don't hurt me

Last edited:

4thliner*

If anyone could score 3 against Canada it would probably be Stone. If anyone in this tournament is too big and too strong for any of the defenders to handle it is him. And he did score 2 against Sweden who was a tough team. Zibanejad on the other-side scored 2 against Canada easy.

Lets not overrate the team here. It is a combination of Finland sucking and being physically intimidated and Canada feeding on it and capitalizing on just about every chance.

I still wanna see how they look like against Sweden and maybe Russia later. Sweden in particular has some players that will push back and maybe more as in the tools to run some of the Canadian defenders.

4thliner*

Very disappointed with Finland's effort though. They were still in the game, but after the 3rd goal, they just folded like a cheap tent.

Yeah, after Stone zoomed out of traffic and snapped in that feed form Hubby the atmosphere in the building changed especially so soon after Finland got back into the game and floated one by Vesintine.

4thliner*

Majority of this board and Canada -- Huberdeau's 5 points < Stone's hattrick

Had Stone not finished of those 2 set-ups from behind the net beautifully ESPECIALLY that big 3rd goal that was the turning point after the fins got back into it and started skating, Hub would not of had those assists. The 3rd goal he went to the net and like so many goals scored later by Canada i.e. Hubby's was meaningless by then. But Stone's first 2 goals were HUGE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad