GDT: Group A • Feb. 16 • Slovenia vs. United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Same here. The fact that they finished 2nd in their group while only scoring two goals speaks volumes. I feel they'd be our biggest obstacle to the gold medal game (unless we play CAN/RUS in the semis of course)

I liked how the Swiss play (great hustle and positioning/system to make up for lack of skill) and Hiller has been very sharp but in the game today Czech Republic was knocking on the door all game and had lots of scoring chances and botched many of them with sloppy plays. USA should be able to get many more chances. They were also relatively undisciplined and took a lot of minor penalties. And the other shutout was against Latvia.

They have played well, but if we can't beat Swiss easily then we shouldn't win anyway.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
They also held Sweden to only 1 goal.

Just because they aren't loaded with NHLers doesn't mean they're not a threat -- they play a fantastic international team game.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Looking like Canada

Assuming this is based on points when it comes to the block winning teams, this is incorrect.

Basically, the real benefit of winning this game is locking up our block, which puts us either at 2/3 seed. It means we would play either Sweden or the Finland/Canada winner, if that game goes to OT, in the Semi's, bu more importantly, it means we get a quarterfinal matchup against against someone that is NOT Russia/loser of the Finland/Canada game. If we get the 3, it will be Switzerland. If we get the 2 I'm rather sure we get the Czechs. More or less, we need to win this game to avoid an extra game, and not having to deal with a Sweden/Canada/Finland/Russia matchup in the Quarters.

Course Switzerland kinda scares me too.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
They also held Sweden to only 1 goal.

Just because they aren't loaded with NHLers doesn't mean they're not a threat -- they play a fantastic international team game.

Of course. It won't be an easy game at all. Switzerland has to be the best of the "minor" hockey countries. They're starting to overtake CZE and SLV. But I have confidence and expect to win that game if it happens.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
So what happens if the U.S. loses?

reynholm-jump-o.gif

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
So what happens if the U.S. loses?

all hell breaks loose.

If the USA lose in regulation Slovenia are ahead of them. Russia would need to win to take 1st, Slovenia 2nd, USA 3rd.

Russia would then be the 3 seed, Slovenia likely 5 or 6, win by 1 they'd be 6, win by 2 or more they'd be 5. They could get to 4th but they'd have a hell of a lot of ground to make up on GD of loser of Canada/Finland if that game ended in regulation. USA at 5 points would be the 7 seed.

If Russia lost it would be Slovenia 1st, USA 2nd, Russia 3rd.

Slovenia would be the 3 seed in this case, USA 6 seed, Russia 7 seed.

Slovakia is 4th regardless

If USA loses in OT/SO they have 6 points, Russia would be 1st if they won in regulation and get the 3 seed, USA the 4 or 5 seed depending on goal differential with the loser of Canada/Finland if that game ends in regulation. Slovenia would be 3rd in the group and get the 7 seed.

If USA loses in OT ,Russia won in OT then USA would be 1st and seeded 3rd, Russia 2nd and seeded probably 5th, small chance at 4th depending on GD. Slovenia 3rd in the group, seeded 7th.

If USA loses in OT, and Russia loses in OT then USA seeded 3rd, Russia 6th, Slovenia 7th.

If USA loses in OT, Russia loses in regulation then USA 3rd, Slovenia 6th, Russia 7th

Last edited:

gtpeli2

Feb 5, 2014
I assume Miller will be the starter? Need to keep him sharp in case he's needed in the elimination round.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
Assuming this is based on points when it comes to the block winning teams, this is incorrect.

Basically, the real benefit of winning this game is locking up our block, which puts us either at 2/3 seed. It means we would play either Sweden or the Finland/Canada winner, if that game goes to OT, in the Semi's, bu more importantly, it means we get a quarterfinal matchup against against someone that is NOT Russia/loser of the Finland/Canada game. If we get the 3, it will be Switzerland. If we get the 2 I'm rather sure we get the Czechs. More or less, we need to win this game to avoid an extra game, and not having to deal with a Sweden/Canada/Finland/Russia matchup in the Quarters.

Course Switzerland kinda scares me too.

It should be noted that if Slovakia loses to Russia (and likely finishes as the #11 team after the preliminaries, ahead of only the Norway/Austria non-overtime loser) but then gets their act together and beats Switzerland in the 5-12 seed round, the U.S. could play Slovakia again in the quarterfinals.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
all hell breaks loose.

If the USA lose in regulation Slovenia are head of them. Russia would need to win to take 1st, Slovenia 2nd, USA 3rd.

If Russia lost it would be Slovenia 1st, USA 2nd, Russia 3rd.

Slovakia is 4th regardless

So if they lose they are out of the tournament (as far as getting Gold or Silver) unless Russia also loses?

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
So if they lose they are out of the tournament (as far as getting Gold or Silver) unless Russia also loses?

No, every team in the tournament will still be alive after this round, everybody will be in teh knockout stage. What it WOULD mean though, is we would most likely fall all the way down to the 7 seed. Which would mean we would have to A: Play an extra game. and B: In the Quarters, just to get into the final 4 and thus medal contention, we would have to go through one of Finland, Canada, or Sweden.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD

Nobody can get eliminated in the preliminary round; teams outside the top 4 spots just need to play a game to reach the quarterfinals, rather than getting a bye to the quarterfinals. In 2010, Canada didn't get a bye to the quarters and still won the gold medal.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

no, everyone makes the playoffs, even if you lose all 3 games. The round robin is just for seeding purposes in the playoffs. The higher your seed the better playoff path you have in theory.

If the USA get the 3 seed they face the 6th or 11th seed in the QF, and 2nd, 7th or 10th seed in the semi.

Whereas if they finish say as the 6th seed they get the 11th seed in the 1/8 round, 3 seed in QF and 2nd, 7th or 10th seed in the semis.

That could be the difference between a possible Switzerland, Sweden route to the final or maybe a Slovakia, Russia, Sweden route to the final which would be mcuh tougher.

I edited my post as well to include all possibilities above.

There's a very good chance that the US win this game though so the point is probably moot but win they're the 3 seed(small chance at 2nd seed), lose in regulation they're the 6 seed at best, probably the 7 seed. lose in OT they're the 5th seed at worse, 3rd seed at best but that would need Russia not to earn full points

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
no, everyone makes the playoffs, even if you lose all 3 games. The round robin is just for seeding purposes in the playoffs. The higher your seed the better playoff path you have in theory.

If the USA get the 3 seed they face the 6th or 11th seed in the QF, and 2nd, 7th or 10th seed in the semi.

Whereas if they finish say as the 6th seed they get the 11th seed in the 1/8 round, 3 seed in QF and 2nd, 7th or 10th seed in the semis.

That could be the difference between a possible Switzerland, Sweden route to the final or maybe a Slovakia, Russia, Sweden route to the final which would be mcuh tougher.

I edited my post as well to include all possibilities above.

There's a very good chance that the US win this game though so the point is probably moot but win they're the 3 seed, lose in regulation they're the 6 seed at best, probably the 7 seed. lose in OT they're the 5th seed at worse, 3rd seed at best but that would need Russia not to earn full points

It also isn't set in stone it would put as at the 3, as Finland/Canada could go to OT. If my memory is correct, that would just mean we'd need to put up enough points to catch either team in goal differential to jump to the 2. Which I would much prefer, as a potential quarterfinal game with the Czech Republic sounds much better then one with Switzerland.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
It also isn't set in stone it would put as at the 3, as Finland/Canada could go to OT. If my memory is correct, that would just mean we'd need to put up enough points to catch either team in goal differential to jump to the 2. Which I would much prefer, as a potential quarterfinal game with the Czech Republic sounds much better then one with Switzerland.

Ironically, the team that would be hurt most by a Canada/Finland overtime game would be Russia. The odds are good that unless Russia absolutely crushes Slovakia, they would lose the goal differential tiebreaker with the Canada/Finland loser for the #4 seed.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Ironically, the team that would be hurt most by a Canada/Finland overtime game would be Russia, because the odds are good, unless they absolutely crush Slovakia, that they would lose the goal differential tiebreaker with the Canada/Finland loser for the #4 seed.

Which is possible, to be fair, with the way Slovakia is playing.

Course, assuming the US win, I would be praying for a Finland OT win against Canada. Under that extremely unlikely scenario, Canada/Russia/Sweden all get grouped into one block, and the other block would be down to the US, Finland, Switzerland, and the Czech republic to battle for a spot in the Finals, assuming both the Swiss and Czechs took care of there part.

kingskring

Dec 3, 2012
yup. A twitter search came up empty…. I guess we will know the US strarter just prior to game time?

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
I still haven't gone to sleep since the USA/Russia game that started at 4:00 AM this morning... And I had ALREADY been up since 6:00 AM Friday...

I guess I should get some sleep for this game... LOL!

Yeah, I'm working on about 32 straight hours or so. :yo:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Not looking forward at all to that Swiss game. Really worried about that one.

I wouldn't be if I were you. The US has way to much skill for Switzerland's defensive style to work like it has so far. They won't be able to focus on just one dangerous line because you guys have Kane and Kessel playing on different lines. Kane's stick handling will open up some passing lanes as will Kessel's speed/shot. It'll be a tough game, but it shouldn't be too worrying.

DrunkKaner88

Jan 5, 2014
am i the only one who thinks Parise needs to be taken off that stupid checking line of backes and callahan? That is not his game at all. He's been pretty much invisible. Put Brown up there and have them grind out other teams top lines and put Parise with Kane and Kesler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad